Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos or Nautilus 88 - not sure which to buy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you plan on doing with the Keyboard what are your intentions?

If you plan on using the sequencer I would choose the Kronos. The added controls make it much more convenient. The Nautilus is just a cheaper way for Korg to sell leftover Kronos parts to people.

The keyboard really has no future because it doesn't add anything new. It's still an outdated 32 bit system with old DDR3 and max 3GB of RAM. It's not going to break any ground that the Kronos hasn't already broken.

That 32 bits and 3GB is what heavily restricts the Keyboard from being what it could be. We're on 64bit systems with 128GB's of Ram and DDR5 now. That's how far behind the Kronos/Nautilus is after a decade plus.

So if you're looking at Kronos Vs. Nautilus I would think of which format would be most comforting to you. There's no advantage over owning a Nautilus over the Kronos aside from some sounds you may or may not use. They both run the same engine and put out the same power.

The Nautilus might be current but it's operating system isn't. It's 32bits and 32 bit operating systems are obsolete. There won't be any fantastical updates for the Nautilus. Expect them to mirror the Kronos bug fixes.

Other than that basic information it's up to which design you prefer. The more interactive Kronos or the Korg Krome case with a Kronos inside.
J1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
What do you plan on doing with the Keyboard what are your intentions?

If you plan on using the sequencer I would choose the Kronos. The added controls make it much more convenient. The Nautilus is just a cheaper way for Korg to sell leftover Kronos parts to people.

The keyboard really has no future because it doesn't add anything new. It's still an outdated 32 bit system with old DDR3 and max 3GB of RAM. It's not going to break any ground that the Kronos hasn't already broken.

That 32 bits and 3GB is what heavily restricts the Keyboard from being what it could be. We're on 64bit systems with 128GB's of Ram and DDR5 now. That's how far behind the Kronos/Nautilus is after a decade plus.

So if you're looking at Kronos Vs. Nautilus I would think of which format would be most comforting to you. There's no advantage over owning a Nautilus over the Kronos aside from some sounds you may or may not use. They both run the same engine and put out the same power.

The Nautilus might be current but it's operating system isn't. It's 32bits and 32 bit operating systems are obsolete. There won't be any fantastical updates for the Nautilus. Expect them to mirror the Kronos bug fixes.

Other than that basic information it's up to which design you prefer. The more interactive Kronos or the Korg Krome case with a Kronos inside.

I'll be using it to write and play mainly. I have lots of other nice analog gear, and software, but I don't have any good modern digital hardware. I want something that sounds realistic and natural, that I can just flip on and play. I may record some of the sounds, but I already have lots of software with great sounds, as well as cool old keyboards and instruments, so that is not necessarily what it is for. A sequencer is not that important, but maybe I could use it to work on ideas and arrangements. I also want something easy to transport that I can play with other people and that gets me away from the computer. I have some nice stuff but I'm looking for a single 88 board that will be versatile for different things and sound great.

I think either the Kronos or the Nautilus is a good choice. It sounds like the only real advantage of the Nautilus is that it can play Nautilus sounds and Kronos sounds, while the Kronos can only play Kronos sounds. They seem to be going for around the same price on the used market. I've looked at other boards and the only other one I'm really interested in is a Nord Stage 2 or 2ex or 3 maybe. Also interested in the Yamaha YC88 but haven't played one yet.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
I want something that sounds realistic and natural, that I can just flip on and play.

...after a 2,5 minute bootup. Very Happy

But in my case, that's worth the wait every time. Cool
J1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
J1 wrote:
I want something that sounds realistic and natural, that I can just flip on and play.

...after a 2,5 minute bootup. Very Happy

But in my case, that's worth the wait every time. Cool

Heh, yeah that's ok I can deal with it..

Another question about the Nautilus.....for anyone that knows .... Rather than trying to swap out the internal SSD for a larger one, can't I just attach an external SSD to the USB-A port and store/load extra sounds from there? For example, if I downloaded from Korg the bundle that has the Kronos sounds that aren't on the Nautilus, I could put that stuff on an external drive and play those sounds that way? Or do the sounds have to be stored on the internal drive?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
I could put that stuff on an external drive and play those sounds that way?

Won't work, they have to be installed on the SSD.
J1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
J1 wrote:
I could put that stuff on an external drive and play those sounds that way?

Won't work, they have to be installed on the SSD.

Ok. So I guess if I got the Kronos soundpack for Nautilus, it won't all fit at once, so I would have to move some sounds off the internal drive to fit new sounds in it. Or, install a larger drive that can hold all of it (which sounds complicated and maybe risky).
J1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this thread...I ended up getting a Kronos 88. It is updated to the latest OS and has 4GB ram and an extra 500GB SSD installed. Also has the Italian grand and Berlin grand installed. So it is set up pretty nice. And the condition of this one is excellent, basically mint, very well cared for.

The main reason I chose the Kronos over the Nautilus was mostly for the controls. I didn't want to try to find some way to add drawbars to a Nautilus. Didn't make sense to me when I could get a Kronos with the sliders right there. I'm not a serious serious organ player, but playing around with drawbars is a nice way to get an additional layer of realism to a digital organ sound.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Just an update on this thread...I ended up getting a Kronos 88. It is updated to the latest OS and has 4GB ram and an extra 500GB SSD installed. Also has the Italian grand and Berlin grand installed. So it is set up pretty nice. And the condition of this one is excellent, basically mint, very well cared for.

Awesome! That sounds like a great unit.

While I could find my way around a Nautilus, it's because I come from Kronos and OASYS. But someone starting out with a Nautilus will probably have little clue how to get around it, because so many controls are onscreen only.

Some other Nautilus cons (for me) are that the headphone jack is on the back, instead of the front. The screen is one inch smaller than Kronos'. There's no S/P DIF input. I run synths into my OASYS inputs, then those run into my Kronos mixer via S/P DIF. On Nautilus, there's no fricken Data Slider!! You can tap one on the touchscreen, but that's not near as fast or precise. (Not having a Data Slider on my old Fantom FA made it extremely cumbesome.)

Because the physical interface on Nautilus is minimal, there is a lot of jumping from screen to screen in the Nautilus. No Aftertouch is huge, so I think you made a good choice going with the Kronos.

For any new Kronos owner, my single strongest bit of advice is for you to acquaint yourself with with the on screen CONTROL SURFACE tab. It will show you what all your sliders, buttons, and knobs are doing. I briefly cover that function at the 1:10 mark of this short video. But even the first part shows how buttons and sliders pertain to oscillators and drum tracks.

In Tone Adjust mode, you can interact with MOD-7 sounds, a bit similar to the Opsix, where knobs change the frequency of each oscillator, and sliders bring up their volumes. It's hard to imagine not having these controls, but that is why the Nautilus is priced lower.
J1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
J1 wrote:

Awesome! That sounds like a great unit.

While I could find my way around a Nautilus, it's because I come from Kronos and OASYS. But someone starting out with a Nautilus will probably have little clue how to get around it, because so many controls are onscreen only.

Some other Nautilus cons (for me) are that the headphone jack is on the back, instead of the front. The screen is one inch smaller than Kronos'. There's no S/P DIF input. I run synths into my OASYS inputs, then those run into my Kronos mixer via S/P DIF. On Nautilus, there's no fricken Data Slider!! You can tap one on the touchscreen, but that's not near as fast or precise. (Not having a Data Slider on my old Fantom FA made it extremely cumbesome.)

Because the physical interface on Nautilus is minimal, there is a lot of jumping from screen to screen in the Nautilus. No Aftertouch is huge, so I think you made a good choice going with the Kronos.

For any new Kronos owner, my single strongest bit of advice is for you to acquaint yourself with with the on screen CONTROL SURFACE tab. It will show you what all your sliders, buttons, and knobs are doing. I briefly cover that function at the 1:10 mark of this short video. But even the first part shows how buttons and sliders pertain to oscillators and drum tracks.

In Tone Adjust mode, you can interact with MOD-7 sounds, a bit similar to the Opsix, where knobs change the frequency of each oscillator, and sliders bring up their volumes. It's hard to imagine not having these controls, but that is why the Nautilus is priced lower.

Thanks! I will check out that video. I have been watching the Kronos Manual videos on the Korg YouTube channel to get a general familiarity. There is a lot to learn but videos certainly help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: