Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TR Rack complete midi implementation document? (For CTRLR)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Harper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: TR Rack complete midi implementation document? (For CTRLR) Reply with quote

Hi, looking to see if anyone has the full midi implementation info for the TR rack. Specifically, tables 2-7.

The commonly available one only has table 1, program mode.

I've asked Korg uk but they didn't have it.

I'm nearly finished making a CTRLR panel for it and would like this info to make sure I'm not missing anything. Currently I've been working backwards from available editors but they're full of mistakes and I'm not sure they used all available commands anyway.

Either way it will be finished and freely available in a short time.

I decided to make the editor as I wasn't happy with any of the available offerings (midiquest crashes the rack, sound diver just crashes, I'm on pc so midi designer is no good and trinitro is old and limited).

The current state of the panel is:
Program mode mostly finished, just master effects left
Combi mode done just waiting on the finished effects to copy over
Nothing for multi or drum mode yet, I may add these but they're not a massive concern of mine.
Save/ load/ write to and from computer and rack are done.
Panel reflects settings in the rack (everything except settings within the effects, main effect settings such as type/ sends etc mirror; the rest is just too much work unfortunately but not a big deal)

Hoping someone can help!

I actually managed a firmware update in w10 too but I'll make a new post about that.

Thanks in advance

Tom
Tom Harper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I've got it working as a vst3, only tested in Reason so far as that's all I really use these days. It's nice having it integrated with everything else.
samriccijr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom!

Here is the scanned Midi implementation from the original printed Trinity keyboard manual. This has some tables with effects, Combi and song parameters.

Hope this helps!

Sam

This is updated link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/imp47yaps9n16mqrq7b6s/h?dl=0&rlkey=del3fk55j56jnoql711veh7sm
Tom Harper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samriccijr wrote:
Hi Tom!

Here is the scanned Midi implementation from the original printed Trinity keyboard manual. This has some tables with effects, Combi and song parameters.

Hope this helps!

Sam

This is updated link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/imp47yaps9n16mqrq7b6s/h?dl=0&rlkey=del3fk55j56jnoql711veh7sm

That actually could be a great help! Thanks very much. I thought i'd read the trinity manual but maybe I missed that. There does seem to be a lot of relevant data which is odd as I was sure the one I read was totally different.

I'll have to do some tests to make sure it responds properly to the commands but that looks very promising. I might add drum mode yet!

Of course, if anyone has the specific TR Rack equivalent document I'd still appreciate it. I'm not even sure it exists anymore though, or if it ever did in English. Thanks to Google translate though, Japanese would be fine too. That one looks like it might be enough though.

Thanks again! Very much appreciated and a swift response too!

I'd best get busy...
TwoPies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Quite a few years back I had a crack at a CTRLR editor for the TR rack. It was only for Programs, masses of work & the sysex effects info was missing so I had to use trial & error, & even then there was something wrong as it would crash the unit. Not sure I've got any notes I made left, but I'll have a look for you.
Paul
Tom Harper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoPies wrote:
Tom,
Quite a few years back I had a crack at a CTRLR editor for the TR rack. It was only for Programs, masses of work & the sysex effects info was missing so I had to use trial & error, & even then there was something wrong as it would crash the unit. Not sure I've got any notes I made left, but I'll have a look for you.
Paul

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

I might be a little further on than you were by the sounds of it but I'm not going to refuse help, it would be great if it was a community effort, I'm already relying heavily on the work done by others.

It has been a mammoth task to get to the point I'm at tbh. The insert effect section nearly sent me insane.

There have been plenty of crashes along the way. Mostly down to the rack wanting to send acknowledgements after each sysex message. If the buffer on the rack fills due to too many messages in a given time then it crashes. I've found that a sysex delay between messages gets around this issue, and that some settings can have a lower delay than others. Basically, program edits need around 15ms, everything else needs 25ms. This makes things very stable and still fairly responsive; although many parameter sweeps in quick succession can cause a noticeable delay. I've included a 'wait' message in a status box to help visualise this.

The other crashes i was getting were down to incorrect sysex messages, or rather incorrect values being sent, if the ranges were wrong. This is why I was looking for any accurate midi implementation data.

I've still got the master effects section to do and a bit of polishing up. And probably some kind of full backup and restore feature (like pcg files and hopefully compatible but no promises there, I'm limited somewhat by the limitations of ctrlr). Plus drums and multi mode if i can find the motivation.

I'm interested in how you handled things, and if i should have done anything differently!

Also, is there anything you (or anyone else) would like to see in it?
TwoPies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I started to document the inset effects, but the amount of work was too much, so I switched to the master FX instead.
PM me your email address & I'll let you have my results, if it'll be of help.
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: