Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5X vs Ketron EVENT??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

My reference is always sampler engine , even for vintage synths I have a complete collection of sampled waveforms of natural cyclic duration of them.
So contrary to any Kronos/Motif/Nord stage sampler , in Pa5X you can combine 24 OSC X 3 upper layers , so you have per single SOUND , 24 X stereo
OSC/Filters/LFO/AMS/ADSR/PEG plus global PEG & LFO that you can model anything you want , and just imagine all those X 3 in sound combination in KBD
SETs where each Sound works as a timbre with different articulation and controllers , this is unique for any hardware sampler keyboard.
I have developed very sophisticated real instruments and Symphonic Orchestras with over 50 OSC in common in 3 upper layers of KBD Sets.

I can understand mentioned limitations but valid for Kronos HD1 with Triton program interface , where Karma & rich Combination features balance somehow
the lacking of HD1 Program interface.

I have to note that I never use factory resources , I always built all resources from scratch in any Korg product I've ever purchased since its a rule IMO
that all factory resources are too poor at any level , so I'm always talking about potentials in Korg keyboards and not factory sound development level !

don't worry, i know all these things, i programmed my own libraries too for a huge amount of brands (including the pa4x). I'm more experienced in this area then you would expect, even though i never demo or talk about it online.

I do understand why you are saying these things, for your kind of libraries these features are important on a sample level for realistic orchestral sounds. I'm more focusing on the synthesis part of things and in those cases you don't need 24 oscillators for a sound, only some velocity layers and a couple of samples per octave are for my kind of sounds more then enough, the rest is done with synthesis techniques in my case.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m with Pete on this .

Don’t know what you guys are hearing in that side by side comparison but it’s very clear the Ketron is struggling to ensure the chord changes in the styles are smooth and musical . They were glitchy as hell !!

That was very enlightening. Ketron needs to work that out immediately .

I don’t care if they are recording real instruments if the real instruments can’t respond to chord changes as well as sampled midi instruments .

I was embarrassed for the Ketron and you know I am no big fan of the pa5x either but it was head and shoulders better than the Ketron when the two were actually played .

I don’t care too much about technical differences . I am a musician first .

If it doesn’t sound good I am out .

I wouldn’t exchange my 4x for a 5x either .
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
I'm more focusing on the synthesis part of things and in those cases you don't need 24 oscillators for a sound,
only some velocity layers and a couple of samples per octave are for my kind of sounds more then enough, the rest is done with synthesis
techniques in my case.

If you need many independent LFOs / PEG / Amp etc , yep ... you do need many OSC and many sound development tricks to do anything
you can imagine , I have done it many times with innovating ways but is not the subject here , that's why I said that will use Kronos for analog
machines as a primary way to use inter-modulation between samples and wave-forms that is one of my expertise for film scoring sound FX.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Pete , actually there are not sampled instrument in Audio files but recorded instruments on playing phrases/riffs per chords in
studio recordings per instruments tracks per 12 semitones

Thanks Antony for correcting my text - my misuse of the word "sample"
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
I’m with Pete on this .

Don’t know what you guys are hearing in that side by side comparison but it’s very clear the Ketron is struggling to ensure the chord changes in the styles are smooth and musical . They were glitchy as hell !!

Thank you Worth, thought it was just me not hearing it correctly, Ketron just didn’t sound quite right. Wonder if audio loops suffer with a bit of latency?

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to refer you guys to the comments by Sokratis, see following link and scroll down to his entry ( or read the full thread, most enlightning I think....)

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/508217/VERY_good_Event_demos#Post508217

P.S. Keith (Worth) good to hear from you again. As you know I have been a staunch advocate of Korg arrangers and played on those for nigh on 20 years. I recently gave my old PA50sd away to our son and currently only own the new Ketron Event. Your comment is correct and points to the one weakness that ketron will have to surmount to make this work and I have faith they will. I am referring to the "latency issue "....
Beyond that there are minor issues ( but look at the PA5X ) and personally I would wish ( and hope) there will be more new styles with Real Chords included. Also there should be a better market for new samples as its capacity to hold new samples is adequate.That having been said, most samples of natural instruments such as piano, accordeon, sax, violin, etc.etc. vary from "very good " to "excellent "and leave little to be desired . Even the pad and synths sounds carry a wide range of programmable sounds and unless you are deep into synthsounds etc. (for which you should add a workstation really) they are amply sufficient. I am not going to enter in a discussion whether the new Ketron is better or not than Yamaha and Korg. All I can say is that it is very innovative and challenging. And its form of realism is almost eerie. I mean if you are a vocalist and would want to imagine being backed by a real band , this one does the trick or comes closest imho.
Another issue raised by Englishman Abacus in the thread I mentioned yet again fails to hit the nail on the head completely. ( as does most of his comments). If for whatever reasons you set great store by reproducing a popsong in its original arrangement and as close to it as possible , you need songstyles and the best imho is Yamaha. ( of course you could also order a good backing tape or karaoke file and do the same, haha !!)
I am looking forward with you guys to what the next OS update for the PA5X will bring, but let's face it, so far Korg has made a pretty mess of it...

regards,
John Smies
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to speak with you again John and Riki

If this is the best korg and Ketron can produce , then the Arranger keyboard industry is in very real trouble.

No ordinary customer is going to be comfortable paying thousands of pounds of their hard earned money on high end , highly specified instruments that are incomplete products and don’t even perform to their basic specification .

In the most crucial ways , these over priced instruments , in my ears function substantially worse than their predecessors.

The chord lag in the Ketron was immediately noticeable in the YouTube comparison above and renders the instrument unusable as an arranger if the other styles suffer from the same issue .

How this got through quality checks and into the hands of real customers is astonishing .

I have already commented on the fraud that Korg has committed in the premature release of the Korgpa5x . How many months now is it from release and the OS is still incomplete ????

It appears that only Yamaha is capable of producing a new keyboard that is actually usable for the purpose it was intended shock:

If Ketron don’t sort themselves out , I predict their bankruptcy not too far in the distant future . Both korg and Ketron are going to learn a very severe lesson that only the market can teach .

Last edited by worth on Mon May 08, 2023 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:

... Ketron just didn’t sound quite right. ...

It's definitely not the same chord progression/voicing. It almost feels like he's playing the wrong chords on purpose. In fact if this was an audio demo only, I'd guess it's not the same person playing. I like mystery!

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam always liked conspiracy scenarios ... Think

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
the_boss81

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you have to decide whether you would rather have a loop player with a significantly inferior sound module or a sound module with extremely more potential? For me it is clear that I will stay with Korg, Ketron would be too boring for me. I've already had five Korgs and five Ketrons in my life. To my ears, Korg does much more sound development, with Ketron they only develop the loop player functions. But as always, I have no problem if someone thinks they are better served with another manufacturer, VG!
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards the brand new update for the Ketron Event, and this might be particularlarly intersting to you Keith, here are the findings of an Italian musician who for months has been trying to flog his brand new Event because he was not satisfied. Note I used DeepL translation machine for the Italian text here..........:

"....Finally I am happy with the fact that ketron has updated the operating system, now I can say that at last WE HAVE A GREAT ARRANGER. I've been trying Event since 4 p.m. It has been reborn in every way, the operating system is excellent, it doesn't “make a crease”( ??), it sounds great, implemented and facilitated essential live functions, it sounds great, perfect styles, drums, nothing to say about it, and I say this quite frankly, they have miraculously changed the keyboard, I haven't found any more defects, I repeat, seven hours of tests, squeezed in all the essentials, it goes magnificently well, in spite of the envious and those who insinuated that my keyboard wasn't good. Congratulations to Ketron, finally the right redemption and the right prize for those who have spent so much money, now we can speak of an arranger without competition and without denial, perhaps the best at the moment for quality and ease of execution. Before we were in limbo now we are in paradise......"
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ketron Event for its attitude to update
Very quick response of the producer for OS bugs
Subsequent OS-es are releaseed one by one
Lots of changes implemented is very impressive, probably next OS update is in progress.
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Fear not, all PA5X owners will saying the same things that the Italian musician said about his Ketron Event when korg release their next PA5X O/S update. Wink Wink

Chris
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi All,

Fear not, all PA5X owners will saying the same things that the Italian musician said about his Ketron Event when korg release their next PA5X O/S update. Wink Wink

Chris

Well we Jolly well hope so, we wait with baited breath Smile
petr14

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi All,

Chris

Not really, the big update isn't due until late 2023 or early 2024 if nothing is delayed. So we could be happy in, say, the second half of 2024.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: