Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Me Design This Sound (Not the Thriller Theremin Sound)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
average_male

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Help Me Design This Sound (Not the Thriller Theremin Sound) Reply with quote

Hello Savy Kronos Sound Design Engineers,

Hoping to get your help on something I came across in a video. This guy describes how he made the Thriller Theremin sound, but in doing that, he made a sound/effect I was trying to replicate for some time. Here is the video at the time stamp he goes into the details of setting up OSC1 + OSC2 (plus a filter?) where OSC2 feeds into OSC1 for the Thermin sound (but that Thermin sounds wasn't what interested me):

https://youtu.be/Qf_x97bfxQk?t=271

BUT, it is at this point of the video (noted below) was the sound/effect I was trying to replicate (the "trill" with the frequency change) the sound between 5:48 and 5:51 including the way he altered the frequency, as in:

https://youtu.be/Qf_x97bfxQk?t=348

Any recommendations to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. I did try to setup two oscillator (OSC1 and OSC2) using the Mod7 engine (trying to follow what was noted in the video) but ended up making cat strangulation sounds.

Thanks.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty basic. Use the AL-1 or MS-20 engine instead of the more complicated MOD7. Use a LFO set to square wave to modulate the pitch of OSC1 set to square or triangle wave.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
That's pretty basic. Use the AL-1 or MS-20 engine instead of the more complicated MOD7. Use a LFO set to square wave to modulate the pitch of OSC1 set to square or triangle wave.

Just tried it and I am sure I did something wrong as it sounds worse than my first attempt noted in the original post. What I was unable to figure out with your suggestion was how to increase the magnitude of the square wave's upper and lower trilling notes and how to change the frequency as in the video. Any suggestions?

here are my parameters and assumptions:

Engine: AL-1
---'EXi 1' Tab
------OSC Basic Subtab
---------OSC 1 Section/Parameters
---------Waveform: Square/Triangle
------Pitch EG/Mod Subtab
---------OSC1 & Sub OSC Pitch Modulation Section/Parameters
------------AMS1: LFO1
------------Intensity: variable per desired

With this, I get a buzzing sound along with the square wave, how can I set OSC1 Waveform to generate just Square without the "Triangle" sound which what I am assuming is causing the buzzing sound.[/list]
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Under OSC/Pitch | Mixer, set to 0 the OSC Level you don't need.

Then under OSC/Pitch | Pitch EG/Mod, in OSC1 & Sun OSC Pitch Modulation, set the AMS to the LFO you want, then Intensity to -3,4 in order to hear, let's say, a fifth above the played note.

(Optional) With a square wave as LFO pitch modulation, if you want the initial note to sound at its correct pitch (as on the key played on the keyboard), go to Step Seq/LFO | LFO1 (presuming you choose LFO1 for pitch modulation) and select -99 for the Offset. This way, when you play for example a G on the keyboard, the initial pitch at the beginning of the square wave will be equal to the key played. So for this example the correct G, then D above it for the given values, instead of notes a fifth apart but both below and above the key played.

(Optional if you want to experiment and understand what happens) : Note that you may ask yourself, why using negative values to reach a frequency above the initial note. It is simply because when you select AL-1 as a new instrument in an empty program, the LFO square wave at 0 degree starts at its maximum, then goes down. If you would select similar but positive values for the two parameters set to negative previously discussed and instead select 180 degrees for the LFO Start Phase, you will end up with exactly the same sound.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi there,

Under OSC/Pitch | Mixer, . . ..

You sir, are a Genius! Every suggestion you made cleared my issue(s). Got the exact sound and effects I was looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up all those details. I was perplexed why the negative values behave the way they do, and you even cleared that up for me. Thanks again!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome ! Cool

BTW in case you didn't know, if you use a PC and you happen to like old modular synth with lots of knobs, you could download the great freeware designed by a fellow guy here called Chrutil, namely his AL-1 editor.

http://chrutil.com/kronos/

With it, you can see the AL-1 as a gigantic modular synth equivalent and modify everything in real time. The freeware also transforms into a Polysix editor as well if you choose a program with the Polysix engine. Super clever guy ! Dancing
average_male

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
You are welcome ! Cool

BTW in case you didn't know, if you use a PC and you happen to like old modular synth with lots of knobs, you could download the great freeware designed by a fellow guy here called Chrutil, namely his AL-1 editor.

http://chrutil.com/kronos/

With it, you can see the AL-1 as a gigantic modular synth equivalent and modify everything in real time. The freeware also transforms into a Polysix editor as well if you choose a program with the Polysix engine. Super clever guy ! Dancing

That is pretty cool, and does that AL-1 Editor integrate in real-time with the Kronos or has a sync or export feature to get the sounds into the Kronos?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
That is pretty cool, and does that AL-1 Editor integrate in real-time with the Kronos or has a sync or export feature to get the sounds into the Kronos?

Yes, it works with your Kronos on and connected to the PC. Once you are done modifying a program with the freeware, you simply go to your Kronos and save the program where you want.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
average_male wrote:

Yes, it works with your Kronos on and connected to the PC. Once you are done modifying a program with the freeware, you simply go to your Kronos and save the program where you want.

Nice, appreciate the recommendation, will get this, the price is right too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: