Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buyer beware Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: buyer beware Help Reply with quote

ive been waiting on buying a 5x ...read many bad things about the BUGS ..does anyone have a suggestion about the pros & cons of this keyboard ..i am a senior with limited income . ive been a korg user for over 20 yrs ...i own a pa3x now , missed out on a new 4x which i would have liked instead of a 5x but not buying a used 10 yr old keyboard at those insane prices ..but alittle hesitate ..im not a TECHIE so it will be a hell of a learning curve from my 3x and my 300 + songs are not transferable either .so i will be starting from scratch .. any suggestions will be extremely helpful ..
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: buyer beware Help Reply with quote

Alzy wrote:
ive been waiting on buying a 5x ...read many bad things about the BUGS ..does anyone have a suggestion about the pros & cons of this keyboard ..i am a senior with limited income . ive been a korg user for over 20 yrs ...i own a pa3x now , missed out on a new 4x which i would have liked instead of a 5x but not buying a used 10 yr old keyboard at those insane prices ..but alittle hesitate ..im not a TECHIE so it will be a hell of a learning curve from my 3x and my 300 + songs are not transferable either .so i will be starting from scratch .. any suggestions will be extremely helpful ..

Alzy, I am a senior as well, so I make these suggestions from our perspective. I still have my PA3xle and recently acquired the PA5x. There are marked differences between the 3x and the 5x. The most evident is the quality of the sounds and the improved effects section, matrix and dual player sections. So the flexibility of interaction is more advanced for sure. That being said and considering my hearing acuity; there may not be enough difference to justify the added expense of a new keyboard for you. When the Pa5x becomes more available and more in stock, the prices for used Pa4x's will be even less expensive, in my opinion. That may be an option that makes better economic sense income wise. Just sayin. Wink Eric

p.s. I really like the Pa5x 76 by the way! Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to Wait and see, When and what OS will offer.
For now its not stable. And becouse of that many people sells their Pa5X. SO WAIT!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
shad0wfax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PA5X sounds awesome and it's a very powerful keyboard, but sadly at this moment it's true that it has bugs and it's not very stable. I'm getting random freezes from time to time, and I hope they'll fix this in newer OS releases. I use it only at the studio, and I wouldn't gig with it at this moment.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad0wfax wrote:
The PA5X sounds awesome and it's a very powerful keyboard, but sadly at this moment it's true that it has bugs and it's not very stable. I'm getting random freezes from time to time, and I hope they'll fix this in newer OS releases. I use it only at the studio, and I wouldn't gig with it at this moment.

+1000

MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alzy wrote:

Hi Al

Hope life is treating you well!!
I don't own this beast yet and, being similar to yourself regarding income and age, I will not go near it until I have confidence that it is fixed, completed and reasonably stable (I'll accept the odd bug or two).

PA3X is awesome (particularly its last final OS version). PA4x is awesome too.

So it comes back to:-
Are you prepared to wait? (nobody knows how long)
Could a PA4x bring new life and excitement to you and your music?
Do you have to part with your PA3x in order to afford a change? (IMHO, if so, I would stay put or go to PA4x)
I can tell you that moving from PA3x to PA4x, you will not lose your songs BUT there is some tweaking etc to consider, and patience!!
PA3x to PA5x is another story - can't advise on that one.

If you are in a hurry and I had to decide for you, I would say get a PA4x and enjoy the differences and its stability.

I'm still on hold for PA5x but my confidence is thinning out daily..... still waiting.....

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
petr14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad0wfax wrote:

I can't confirm that. Pa5X is in use at least an hour a day, it is used for playing (with styles and midi), editing styles and sounds here and there and it works 100% reliably. The stability problems were only with the first version of the OS.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petr14 wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:

I can't confirm that. Pa5X is in use at least an hour a day, it is used for playing (with styles and midi), editing styles and sounds here and there and it works 100% reliably. The stability problems were only with the first version of the OS.

No My friend, I must say that not correct, There is to much things thats non ready for use or missing,

Like the Style creator, Try to Copy, or Quantize, Paste, Or even Delete is missing.
In midi import or play, there is things that this KB is non familier with and restarts.

Some of the files from other Models is cousing problems, and sounds terrible,

So it,s a great sounding KB, but we must wait some more to see IF they will give us a working KORG Pa 5 x,
It does not mean the kb is Ok because of it starts and you can play some styles some tones,from rom. In deep, NO its far from ok.

I also had it on my gigs, 6 days no problems, after that 2 restarts, and one Freeze.
In edit mode or home, Its no problems to have that once in 2 weeks or more, but in Live situation, not good.
Hope to see something from Korg that can make me to keep me calm.

Waiting for something that i already payed for is, NOT so exciting at all.

MEDELI AKX-10

LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petr14 wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:

Same here, i use it a lot of hours each day, also all my videos were recorded in sessions of at least 1.5 hours till three hours. It never crashed or freezed during these sessions.

If this was really such a big issue with all the bugs people are referring to and all the spontanues freezes then i can’t explain why i’m not experiencing them. I’m using a lot of the advanced features so i would expect to experience them, but really i don’t have those problems.

The only thing i had was in the first week, and that was two reboots when using the copy function of a style, but after that i never experienced anything anymore.

To the topic starter, i would go for the pa5x and definitely not for the pa4x, you will regret it later on. I also was quite worried when i received my pa5x last month due to the very loud complainers on the internet, but i also know how the internet works and that it takes only a few people to make a lot of noise and that most of the happy people are just enjoying their instrument and don’t bother to be in those kind of discussions.

And it’s not that i don’t believe that people are having issues, actually i believe it that it doesn’t work for them, but i find it strange that my pa5x doesn’t show these issues.

The only thing that i find really bad is that they didn’t include the midi sequencer in the first os version. Even though i don’t need it i still believe that a 5000 euro keyboard should have that functionality.

So if your goal is to record your own midi compositions then i would wait, it isn’t available yet.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we compare how to create a style with €X to 5 X it,s not even 50%!

If we record a style, and make a mistake, and need to re Record , we cant delete it like in 4 X, So YES there is some badly needed functions are missing.

IF you like to create Slice loops, YOU CANT!

Midi import for creating the midis for any loop, Is not there Yet!

During midi Import, it can start to crash!

During Live performance IF you change Scale It can crash!

Just few of my problems.

No Crash on Sample edit.
No Crash on Sound edit.
No Crash when editing eq,s FX and more Very stable.
Better sounding.
Better waves
Better Sounds when we find the way to search them(Like QUI,s explanations on Pianos)
Far better Drum samples.
Far better finalizer(That we did not have) in Any PA Models

So all is not bad, it,s a great Unit, but we miss the good things from 4 X, and I hope they will ad it.

For a 5 K Unit, the matrix pads is not so good as in example Cheap midi Keyboards.

Key bed could be much better in the 88 models.
Screen Is OK, but shud be much better, it cost just 80 Dollars for a great one.

so its a My opnion My Taste thing, I hope they can fix all in future about OS.

MEDELI AKX-10

LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
petr14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
petr14 wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:

No My friend, I must say that not correct, There is to much things thats non ready for use or missing,

I write exclusively about stability, not about features. And in my usage, which is 90% playing on the Pa5X, it is 100% stable. I haven't experienced a single problem since the new OS. As for features, that's where everyone has to weigh in. I switched to Pa5X from Pa600 and I miss only one feature, midi recording, which is unpleasant but solvable with an external sequencer - PC. So each person has to consider for himself whether the Pa5X suits him functionally or not. Your needs are not universal, everyone's needs are different.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a wholeeeeeeee lot of wisdom in this conversation, lotsssss! As a really old senior who has had the PA 1,2,3, & 4, I'm like Pete, I'll stay away from the 5 a while longer. Lots of $$$$$ to pay for a mistake. My 4 is still holding up so I'll wait. But I read you guys all the time, pretty damn smart. Keep it up.

Chuck
Ohio, USA
Old fingers
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
petr14 wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:

Like the Style creator, Try to Copy, or Quantize, Paste, Or even Delete is missing.
In midi import or play, there is things that this KB is non familier with and restarts.

Some of the files from other Models is cousing problems, and sounds terrible,

So it,s a great sounding KB, but we must wait some more to see IF they will give us a working KORG Pa 5 x,
It does not mean the kb is Ok because of it starts and you can play some styles some tones,from rom. In deep, NO its far from ok.

I also had it on my gigs, 6 days no problems, after that 2 restarts, and one Freeze.
In edit mode or home, Its no problems to have that once in 2 weeks or more, but in Live situation, not good.
Hope to see something from Korg that can make me to keep me calm.

Waiting for something that i already payed for is, NOT so exciting at all.

As long as you use onboard stuff, there is almost no problems at all..

The crashes seem to come from user created things, and the OS not having enough safety programmed in..

But the mssing features has nothing at all to do with reliability, we should treat both of them as totally different entities..

If i was a home user, i would bite the bullet now, if i was a gigging musician, i would take no risks (never buy a new keyboard in the first year anyhow)
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

As long as you use onboard stuff, there is almost no problems at all..

The crashes seem to come from user created things ...

Absolutely truth ...
Everything that has been created inside Pa5X have not the slightest issue !
WavesArt has created very sophisticated sound libraries inside Pa5X that all are working like a charm in any home or live condition.

Pa5X is not ready yet to accept custom resources from Pa4X and older migrated in it custom resources , there are many
unidentified source codes and values and missing or corrupted samples of those resources in older PRF/STY that are not
translated correctly in Pa5X new OS and in certain cases of wrong code leads to CPU infinity loop that leads to freeze or
system restart , it's crystal clear ...

Therefore if you're a gigging Musician with older Pa4X custom resources and intent to migrate them in Pa5X ...
then stay in your working Pa4X with them until new OSs releases that maybe will fix the existing issues in older SETs.
If you're a new PaSeries user , then Pa5X is your best choice and the best sounding arranger.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Keymn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a PA3x which I thought time to upgrade. I did not jump into the Pa4x, just the pa1000 which is my gigging keyboard.
I recently purchased the pa5x and find it an excellent upgrade. Jam with it hours every day. Korg US support is the best way to report problems and future requests. I made several which may enhance the usage of the Pa5x.
Be sure to register it within, I think 2 weeks, to get the 2 year warranty.

I refurbished my PA3x with new contacts and switches. Soon will be listing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: