Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montage - new model in October, where's KORG??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackForest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Montage - new model in October, where's KORG?? Reply with quote

Would be something if Korg for a change would announce new models in advance..

https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/montage-sayonara

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where’s Korg? Working on adding aftertouch to keyboards that should have had it in the first place.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AT "upgrade" is ready, now they might be working on adding 9 sliders and a numeric keypad to the Nautilus. Razz
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
The AT "upgrade" is ready, now they might be working on adding 9 sliders and a numeric keypad to the Nautilus. Razz

If Korg did that and kept the price low, it was sell a lot. And I would be one of the purchasers.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official Yamaha words :

Today we are discontinuing the MONTAGE music synthesizer. As much as we would have liked to, we cannot develop the current MONTAGE any further. And one more thing…the next generation MONTAGE synthesizer is coming in October.

OK, so they cannot develop the thing further anymore. But they will release a new one with the same name in a few months. It strangely sounds like the Nautilus after the Kronos. New model, without new development.

d'oh!    Rolling Eyes     Brick wall
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Official Yamaha words :
...As much as we would have liked to, we cannot develop the current MONTAGE any further...

My guess is not enough sales of the current Montage requires a new Montage model, and the Yamaholics will line up for it, whatever it is. More memory, faster CPU, additional sound engine(s)? Or maybe just a bigger, brighter, flashier Superduperknob. Montage+ perhaps?
BlackForest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least they are communicating "something" about new workstations.. And ahead of their releases. Korg seems quite different!?

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Official Yamaha words :

Today we are discontinuing the MONTAGE music synthesizer. As much as we would have liked to, we cannot develop the current MONTAGE any further. And one more thing…the next generation MONTAGE synthesizer is coming in October.

OK, so they cannot develop the thing further anymore. But they will release a new one with the same name in a few months. It strangely sounds like the Nautilus after the Kronos. New model, without new development.

d'oh!    Rolling Eyes     Brick wall

Obviously something will be new.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one who actually remains pleased that my 2014 Kronos X61 and 2017 Montage 7 remain the flagships and I aint getting GAS!

I also buy synths for the long term and there is no way I have exhausted what either of them can give me. AL-1 still continues to amaze me when I dig into it.

I think we can all agree the Nautilus was a step backwards. No aftertouch, reduced control surface and the lack of Karma were deal breakers for me.

A revamped Kronos that also included Wavestate and MODWave would get me going.

Will be interesting to see that Yamaha do come out with. As I have a live rig that is based around my Montage and Kronos along with a small NUC PUC that runs Cantabile Software and any VST I care to throw at it (and I can also add my "fun" synths if I wish, Hydrasynth, Summit and Prophet X) then whatever Yamaha do (and Korg for that matter) is going to have to be special and ideally backwards compatible.

I was seriously impressed with Yamaha's backwards compatibility in the Montage all the way back to the Motif ES. I loaded sounds from my 2005 Motif Rack ES into my Montage and I cannot tell the difference when I A/B them, so I hope any new Montage is fully compatible with the old one.

But then if it goes backwards like the Nautilus did, then I have no interest. If it goes forward and remains compatible, that may pique my GAS!

So what features would have me reaching for my cheque book?
  • The fabled AN-X (registered as a trademark a few years back) - my AN1x remains one of my favourite VAs
  • Finish the FM-X job and add in the bits of the FS1r that they left behind!
  • Expand FM-X to include the SY series AFM features
  • Bring back VL synthesis - still sounds awesome in my EX5R
  • CS80 emulation - a possibility in AN-X- although the Montage does make some nice CS80esque sounds in AWM2
  • Fix the "stupid quirks around Live Set Selection (cannot select one via MIDI) and Part receive MIDI channel

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Korg forgot about us. Sad

That's cool Yamaha is making something new. I get kind of excited for new workstations even if I don't plan on buying them. At least that tells me Workstations are progressing forward still. I hope these manufacturers still understand not all of us want to make music with a mouse and keyboard.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But will the new Montage have Poly AT, MPE and MIDI 2.0?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too high for the new Montage, it probably is no more than an evolutionary step forward (new engine added, more storage, more presets). I’m guessing the sequencer will not be upgraded.

For Korg the move to 64-bit and seriously upgraded hardware alone would be an important step forward.
Also, I’d love to see bigger adjustable screens, maybe even include a monitor output? My eyes aren’t what they used to be.

I also wonder if perhaps Native Instruments will enter the workstation market with a Kontrol+. Akai did this already with the MPC Key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: