Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorials on how to be a performer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scippie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Tutorials on how to be a performer Reply with quote

I have my Korg pa-1000 for a couple of years now. I'm quite an advanced pianist, but when it comes to really perform like a one man band, I still don't seem to know where to start.

I read pieces of the manual and I know what the buttons do, but that doesn't mean I actually know how and when to use them. I know there are lots of songs already embedded in the Korg, but I don't know how to really perform them.

Are there some real tutorials out there that show how to actually start performing those songs? Good websites with good resources to expand the repertoire?

ps. If I should ask this in another forum, please tell me!
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I would ask yourself what who your audience be ?

Secondly will you be performing just instrumental music, will you be singing?
scippie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me reverse those questions...

NativeAngels wrote:
Secondly will you be performing just instrumental music, will you be singing?

I will be singing for myself and maybe family, but I am not good enough a singer for live performance I think.
I do have a friend who sings great and wants to perform with me. We did some jazzy stuff before but those were all more piano-heavy compositions. Now I want to go much more simple and do stuff like Quando Quando Quando, Besame Mucho, but also pop music like Killing me softly, Don't speak, Lemon tree, ...

NativeAngels wrote:
Firstly I would ask yourself what who your audience be ?

I don't really know. First we need a repertoire and with the choice of music now made, I guess this would be good for wedding parties, hotel bar performances, ... but actually, we're not even thinking about that yet, we just wanna have fun and build up a repertoire.

Today I actually did quite good with a first try. I found a YT video of someone playing Besame Mucho on the pa-1000 and I just did the same as him, take the Rhumba rhythm, I guessed the chords from my mind (which went very well, I have a lot of experience in jazz theory) and played the melody (went even easier). After 5 minutes I was already improvising a solo. So I am quite sure I am capable of doing it.

But now I had 'some help' and it was fairly easy because the standard Rhythm and instrument choice was already good. But how would I for example go and start making or finding a style for Englishman in New York or something else from the list?
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there are song styles for specific songs, or you can be creative and use one of the preset styles and make your own arrangement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: