Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Style not responding to chord changes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obijohn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Style not responding to chord changes. Reply with quote

Today my new Pa5x was not responding to most of the chord changes in the left hand while playing Styles. It would sometimes respond especially if I hit the keys very hard but most of the time it just stayed with a previous chord.
This was true whether I had the keyboard split and was playing the left hand well below the split point or whether I turned off the split. If I had the chord 'Memory' button on, the display kept showing the old chord for one to six more measures before eventually changing. If I turned off the chord 'Memory' button, the display would show N.C. (no chord) as I continued to play different chords with the left hand. Adding the Upper section to detect chords did not help.
During all of this, the Pa5x would play the live chords I was playing with my left hand while the accompaniment kept playing the old chord stuck in memory or no chord if I turned the Memory button off.

Help. Whatever I am doing wrong is making Style playing impossible because I and the accompaniment are playing different chords on top of each other most of the time.
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your chord velocity is set to on, should be off. I need to go to my keyboard and check on this. Check you settings…
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See page 181. Velocity should be set to off.
Obijohn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions. I had thought it might be a velocity issue which is why I tried different velocities to fix the problem with chord recognition but no matter what velocity I used, the chord changes often did not happen. I double-checked the setting and Velocity Control is set to off so hopefully there is another solution.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. By the way, I also appreciate your answer to the volume problem when changing Sounds in a Style. Your suggestion of correcting the volume levels and then saving as a User Style makes a lot of sense and I will start doing that each time I come across this problem, at least until Korg fixes the issues you sent in. Thanks for that as well.
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obijohn wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I had thought it might be a velocity issue which is why I tried different velocities to fix the problem with chord recognition but no matter what velocity I used, the chord changes often did not happen. I double-checked the setting and Velocity Control is set to off so hopefully there is another solution.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. By the way, I also appreciate your answer to the volume problem when changing Sounds in a Style. Your suggestion of correcting the volume levels and then saving as a User Style makes a lot of sense and I will start doing that each time I come across this problem, at least until Korg fixes the issues you sent in. Thanks for that as well.

I would email support in your area, KorgUS has been good to me. A factory reset might be something to try first after you do a save…
Thanks for your kind words
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obijohn
this is mostly happens with older Styles converted by older Pa5X OS v1.1 that must be reconverted with newer v1.2
If talking about Pa5X factory Styles and not modified in User Banks then you have to partially restore factory settings.
As last you can reload latest factory format OS v1.2 and retest factory resources without loading anything.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
DiegoDiego74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does it to me with sounds too. As soon as I turn on the keyboard the sound "chizzles" and I have to hit the keys several times before I hear a clean sound without artifacts.
mstodola

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have to do with the Velocity Curve. I put mine on hard1 and I felt the same thing when I was playing with a lot of dynamics. I went back to medium and it stopped.
Obijohn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I think an OS reinstall or factory reset is in my future but first I took the advice of contacting Korg support and am waiting for their reply.

Today I discovered that the chord recognition problem extends beyond Styles. I was starting to record some chord sequences to save in User files and came across the problem that the keyboard and display only recorded about half of the chords and did not show the rest so this feature is also useless at this point.

Very open to ideas at this point.
Obijohn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstodola, your idea made sense since I had previously changed my velocity curve to soft before I started noticing this. I went in and changed it back to medium but sadly it did not change the problem.

Please keep the ideas coming. There must be a solution somewhere.
Obijohn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to let everyone know that his problem has been solved as well as what was causing it. I emailed Korg support and they were great though it took a few days to get the initial reply. They suggested a factory reset which solved the problem but left me curious about why it was happening. I went into the settings to see what the factory reset had changed and one thing that caught my eye was the Damper/Latch checkbox. I previously had that box checked so that my left hand would be free to work various controls while the chord stayed latched. I had pretty much forgotten about this setting and the problem was caused by me unconsciously resting my foot on the damper pedal which latched the current chord so the keyboard would not recognize any new chords.
Now my decision is whether to leave the box unchecked which solves the chord recognition problem but restricts my left hand to holding chords, or re-check the box and try to be more disciplined about not resting my foot on the damper pedal. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: