Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton won't boot up recognizing RAM installed (SIMM slots)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clisto1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Triton won't boot up recognizing RAM installed (SIMM slots) Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. I wonder if there's an electronic component gone wrong. It seems too weird to be an isolated problem - everything else on the Triton seems to work fine, though I assume the MOSS slots don't work either.

The Triton came with 16MB RAM that won't register at all, and now I tried 2X32MB and they are also not recognized as existing. When in the Sampler's memory page, all 4 RAMs are nonexistent/0 as well.

I tried resetting the Triton (0+Enter) and that didn't help things.

EDIT - I tried 5+Enter and it says for both MIDI and PCIF "Error Step 1" so perhaps that means something here.

Thanks
exobot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing anything else, you should probably double check that the RAM is compatible with the specifications defined by Korg. I found this document for the Rack, but it should be the same for the regular Triton:

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/TRITON%20Rack%20FAQs_633667564597000000.pdf

It could also be that the RAM isn't making good contact, some careful cleaning of the simms and sockets with isopropyl alcohol could help with that.

If those aren't the problem, I would at least try reinstalling the OS (after backing up everything important, of course). Then you could start thinking about electrical issues, at least looking over the board for corrosion, damaged traces etc.
Clisto1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the advice! Very Happy

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work having tried those steps again. Do you happen to know what the diagnostic "MIDI - Error Step 1" "PCIF - Error Step 1" means? The MIDI is working fine from what I can tell, though I don't have a way to test the PC port. I can't find those codes anywhere online.

The circuit board looks fine and clean, that's what's puzzling to me.
exobot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I do, but it's not out of the question that the Triton is simply expecting something to be connected to those ports for the test to proceed. They do appear to actually work after all.

Have you tried ENTER + 4? According to a service manual I found that should test the SIMMs and nothing else. I don't have high hopes for any useful output, but might as well give it a go.

Beyond that I can't really say what would be the best process for physically diagnosing the board, this is the first time I've heard about an issue like this.
Clisto1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I tried Enter + 4, but that just bypassed the other tests to try the SIMM, and sadly they didn't respond. I will post a follow-up if I'm able to solve this, but I'm going to guess that a part of the circuitboard is somehow damaged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: