Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma learning, appreciation and understanding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Karma learning, appreciation and understanding Reply with quote

I have only very recently begun to explore karma in my Kronos that I bought new about 2 1/2 years ago. (I got the last one that Sam Ash had.). Due to having an accident, and a very long recovery after I bought the Kronos, I took extraordinarily long to really master the normal functions that synthesizers would have. I started to use Karma a couple of times and went through the video: After watching it several times, starting and stopping in, and trying to match my own screens with what it was doing, I almost gave up.)

Thank goodness I kept at it because I finally read through the manual and underlined and highlighted it and realized what karma is and what it does.

I had no idea that Karma was so
powerful and, had so many parameters and other flexible features. It really operates like a second Kronos within the Kronos but it is a complex arpeggiate, not a synthesis engine.

That explains some of the questions. people have even recently posted asking about functionality that don't appear to make sense.

They have been assuming that Karma did things that did not do. They have also missed its incredible power and creativity. I suspect there are far more who start to use it and then give up. I think a lot of it has to do with the. Very poorly done video, if you'll excuse my critical remark.

It also explains my bafflement

Once I understood that the karma function is not only an arpeggiate are, but it has its own sense of programs that are selected very similarly to the way you select Kronos sounds it changed my whole view of karma, and I all of a sudden could make it work as, I wanted it to and quickly at that. I also had no idea that each timbre in a combination could have its own Karma module, and they could be linked if desired

I am amazed at the power and functionality of karma. As I once thought that it was something that I would not be able to use, I now believe it will be something that I use a great deal, and I'm very excited about learning more.

The reason for my post is that I thought maybe others might be puzzled by how to get started or have other questions that seemed to elementary to ask. I'm certainly no authority, but lots of people read this form, and if you have been intimidated by karma, I think you're probably missing a great deal of what the Kronos will do. I suggest that you post questions, if you have them and I'm sure people will help.

Thank you!

John.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in luck, the guy who invented Karma sometimes visits these threads. He may have a lot of additional resources for you.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Karma at every live performance I do, but not in a very conventional way or a way it was intended. I use it for switching programs or combination of programs within a combi, all without cutoff. I can layer, split or have a pattern playing all within a combination all without cutoff of sound and I MUCH prefer using the scene changes buttons over the screen.
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Karma, creative use Reply with quote

that sounds very creative and very cool. Thank you for posting this.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

And glad you have recovered from accident and can now enjoy your Kronos. Smile

In my case, I rarely use Karma as an arpeggiator except for an occasional "jam with myself" once every blue moon. Most of the time, I use Karma for its real time live combi functions like selecting timbres/instruments, etc.

And also indeed as mentioned Stephen comes here from time to time, so you can ask him questions and he will be glad to guide and help with his great invention. You can also PM him when needed (below). Cool

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=309
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: karma Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement and information! I will experiment with your suggestions!

John
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KK"]Hi

And also indeed as mentioned Stephen comes here from time to time, so you can ask him questions and he will be glad to guide and help with his great invention. You can also PM him when needed (below).

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: