Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA 1000, speaker bussing noise, Electronic piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexey_I

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Korg PA 1000, speaker bussing noise, Electronic piano Reply with quote

Dear All,

I just bought PA 1000,

There is a bothersome noise originating from the speaker, particularly noticeable when playing the Electronic piano preset, especially notes D and C# in the lower range.

When I put my hand on the speaker grill, the noise becomes less.

The dealer told me that, nothing can be done about this noise and all Korg PA 1000 have it.

If you have this instrument, could you please check the Electronic piano preset and let me know if it is the case?

What will be your advice?

What should I tell to dealer?

Thank you very much in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Alexey
AdeG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me test next week on my new PA1000.

I did not listen carefully yet, but did not hear resonances yet.

I heard from somebody that in his case the tiltable touch panel caused some resonance noise when folded down. In my case I did not notice.

I put the volume control mostly around 12 o'clock (50%), that is loud enough.
Alexey_I

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AdeG
Thank you for the response
The bussing noise is only when I play d and c#

No noise when I play other notes or in higher register

The keyboard is with the dealer

I cannot check if lifting the screen help to stop the noise
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA 1000, speaker bussing noise, Electronic piano Reply with quote

Alexey_I wrote:
.. just bought PA 1000 ... there is a bothersome noise ... when playing the Electronic piano preset ..

What did you mean with "Electronic piano"?

If you mean "Electric Piano" - that is the Keyboard-Set Bank/Program 16-0-8 rogram - please look to its components and settings, that are:
- "Suit Case88 EP2" (Bank/Progr 121.033.004) for Upper1 - Volume 108 - FX send 50 to Master1 - EQ High gain +2,0, Low gain -1,5
- "E. Piano Noise" (Bank/Progr 121.035.004) for Upper2 - Volume 62 - Fx send 38 to Master1
- "Dark Pad" (Bank/Progr 121.006.089) for Upper3 - muted
- no Insert FX.

With that Keyboard-Set you get the sounds of Upper1 and Upper2. Upper2 ist "E.Piano Noise" and you should not be surprised that this sound can also be heard on the speakers, as long as you do not change that noise of Upper2. Simply mute these part, or reduce its volume or its Fx-send to O-verb (Master1 FX) or whatelese you do not like.
What you meant with "Preset"?
Pa1000 has not presets but Keyboard-Sets. It is not intended to use these presets as predefined, as we did with presets of Bontempis toys.
Consider the Pa1000 keyboard sets as a template, to be set and equipped with parameters, mixer/tuning and effect settings to suit personal preferences.
And most importantly - what sounds you want to use in the keyboard set (to get no noise do not select a kbd-set with noise).
Within keyboard-sets the musical resources of the factory sounds can be adapted and saved according to personal taste.
If after removing "E.Piano Noise" there still occurs a bothersome noise originating from the speaker it should be checked further mixer settings (EQ gain Upper1/2/3, global settings Limiter/Master EQ).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Alexey_I

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear - siebenhirter

Thank you very much for the instructions

I collected my instrument from the dealer and tried to implement your advice by disabling the Upper 2 part of the Electric Piano.

The dealer also did a repair: " Speaker grill removed and dampened"

But the noise is still there.

I recorded the noise but cannot find the attach option to send the file on the forum.

Please get back to me

Thank you very much in advance

Kind Regards

Alexey
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Noise with Pa1000 Reply with quote

Alexey_I wrote:
.. dealer also did a repair: " Speaker grill removed and dampened" ... But the noise is still there....

With first posting you had the bothersome noises with the Electric piano, but now it seems that noise is not of a specific sound but from the hardware (the amplifier, the speakers) - maybe you received a faulty device from the retailer.
It is also not true when your dealer claims that nothing can be done about this noise and all Korg Pa1000 have it.
No Pa1000 has unwanted background noises - unless you use sounds with noise on purpose.

This is easy to check: Use the sound "Sine Wave" from the Sound Menu Legacy (Wave 121.006.080).
Use this sound for Upper1 and mute all other keyboard sounds (Upper2, Upper3, Lower). Now play this sound - only this sound should be audible and there shouldn't be any disturbing background noise. Now use "Volume Pan" in the Mixer/Tuning menu - there shouldn't be any background noise with either a checked or unchecked "Dry" and regardless of whether the pan control is set all the way to the right or all the way to the left loudspeaker. It can also be determined immediately whether a noise comes from both speakers or just from one side. If they come from both sides, there is a fault in the amplifier system, if they only come from one side, then this one amplification channel is defective or just the loudspeaker on this side.
In the mixer/tuning you can also set the FX sends EQ gains to zero to be sure that there is no interference signal via these paths.
After checking Upper1 with it, repeat this check with Upper2, Upper 3 and Lower. With none of these parts should a sound other than an interference-free sine wave without background noise be audible - otherwise the dealer will have to exchange the device.
Whoever spread the rumor that all Pa1000s have noise - that's not true, because if a Piano-set has an "EPiano Noise" activated on Upper2, it will hear it too. But if you only set a sine wave, with a properly functioning Pa1000 you will only hear this sine wave.

PS: Resonance frequencies can also occur with Pa1000's bass reflex systems at extremely high volumes, so for keyboards with integrated loudspeaker systems it is generally recommended not to be operated at maximum settings (volume/equalizer) and, if necessary, tuning with a limiter /master EQ to protect against overloads.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alexey_I,
Adding to siebenhirter's well and detailed explanation, you can also check/listen with a headphone to see if you hear the noise on D and C# in the lower range.
Alexey_I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear siebenhirter
Thank you for the instructions and help.
The sound is clear when playing via the headphones.
I tried Sine Wave sound, and noise is present when playing via the speakers at a volume set up at 12-00, and the master limiter enabled “brick wall”
If it is resonance frequencies, I think they should not be present at this low volume level.
I made a video, sent it to the dealer, and asked to replace the instrument.
Thank you once again
Regards
Alexey
AdeG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I tried to replicate the problem, using the same keyboard set,
but on my PA1000 no issues with the sound.
Maybe the speaker is loose (1 screw forgotten?) or something is resonating inside?
Alexey_I

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AdeG,

Thank you for your time and assistance.

I asked the dealer to replace the keyboard and was advised that they ordered it.

They told me that once the keyboard arrives, I can check if it has the same issue in the store.

Thank you all responders, and I will keep you updated.

Regards
Alexey
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

So I tried this on my PA 1000.

siebenhirter
said to do this and I did.
So I did and what I found out is that when I play E flat, I think it's E flat 3
I do get a rattling noise but what I found out is,,
I can stop the rambling or buzzy sound bye..
Putting pressure on the words PA 1000.

So right above style play song play the word PA 1000.
If I put pressure pressing with my thumb on the metal part of the word PA 1000 the noise disappears.

I did not take apart my keyboard or look inside but I think don't say wire going from the main board over to the left hand speaker that is vibrating when I put pressure there it goes away I do not touch the left hand speaker at all I just put pressure on the words PA 1000..

Now people have tried the rest,,,, just try this and see what happens and please post it ...
this and got a buzz try what I did and tell me if you got the same results I think it's a loose wire..

I do not use the onboard speakers I always use an amplifying system that's why I might have not noticed this let us all know and keep playing music
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
.. If I put pressure pressing with my thumb on the metal part of the word PA 1000 the noise disappears..

Hello Duby,
a photo of the Pa1000 panel can be found at https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sXcAAOSwS5ljYGEX/s-l1600.jpg.

Between the display and the left edge of the panel you can see a bracket and 14 screw holes for attachment (prints with 4 potentiometers, buttons for mode/global/media/style). One of the screw is in the exact position you described where you localized bad noises - maybe the screw is missing or has become loose.

It would not be surprising if resonance and vibration noises occur with poorly installed brackets and screw connections on housing parts or the loudspeakers/grill.
Maybe that will probably be the case with devices - possibly from an earlier production cycle or perhaps with equipment that is often transported somewhat roughly.

However, I do not believe that there is nothing you can do about this noise and that all Korg Pa1000s would have it. The Pa1000 I bought used with serial number 44992 does have a few defects - those that I have complained about since the first delivery, but unfortunately without success - but there are no defects with the sound or with annoying vibration noises, when operating with built-in loudspeakers

Alexey_I

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Thank you for responding to my question about the noise coming from the Korg PA 1000 speakers, particularly noticeable when playing Electronic Piano and Sine Wave.

I would like to update you.

The replacement unit arrived at the dealer store.

We put two units side by side to compare.

The right-hand speaker rattles on the new unit. With a small amount of pressure, the grill stops rattling.

On the old unit left speaker sounds distorted.

The dealer replaced the keyboard.

Thank you once again for the responses

Regards

Alexey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: