Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patch-specific question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarquisMark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Patch-specific question Reply with quote

Okay, so I recently bought a used Triton have been trying to modify one of the patches to use in an upcoming gig. The patch in question is the Phat Saw Lead (B012) and I've been trying to soften it a bit to use for the triplets in the Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs.

On thing I did notice when testing out my modifications is that the timbre of this patch (both original patch and modified one) will change as I move from chord to chord on those triplets. It almost sounds like its being modulated through a cutoff or low pass filter...a kind of sound like it's underwater. If I hit with higher velocity it sometimes resets it, but not always.

I looked in the Menu and could not find anything that shows the LFO modulating EQ or cutoff, but I am still very much a noob at this stuff so I might have missed something. I'd like to modify this patch so that is just a straight, softer saw lead.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I'd like to know because as I stated, I bought this used and something like this might point to internal issues.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any insight you all can offer.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One modulation source is Keyboard Track, where the intensity of the modulation can be set to change across the keyboard. Look at the Program Edit page, P3: Edit - Filter; Filter Mod tab. Velocity is another modulation source, and the two can be applied in combination. Look at the Triton Parameter Guide, pages 12 and 13, for more info.

MarquisMark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you. I'll look into these.
fwroberts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark. I also have a Triton and am learning the programming, so your question was interesting to me. I looked at the patch B012: Phat Saw Lead and noticed a few things which might help you get the sound you're looking for.

First, there are some obvious and one not so obvious real time controls built into the patch. The obvious ones are shown on the P0:Play screen:
Knobs 1B-4B are set to control Attack, Decay, Sustain and Reverb. You can start by turning Reverb (knob 4B) all the way down to better hear the effects of changing the other knobs.
If you turn Attack (knob 1B) all the way down, Decay (knob 2B) to 1 o'clock and Sustain (knob 3B) to 11 o'clock, and then strike a key and hold. You should hear a strong Attack, then a short (but exaggerated) Delay leading to a much softer Sustain.

Then, if while holding the first note down you were to play triplets with the other hand there would be no strong Attack on the triplet notes, they would all start at the "Sustain" level.

I think this may account for the "underwater" sound you were hearing. There are two settings you could try changing to see if it helps. First, try turning up the Sustain (knob 3B) and second, go to P1: Edit Basic, Program Basic tab. There you'll see the Voice Assign Mode set to Mono. Try setting that to Poly and see how you like the sound.

Lastly, there is one more real time control you can try out: The "Value" slider to the left of the touch screen. I don't think it caused the "underwater" sound you described, but it's fun to play with.

To operate the slider you want to make sure that you're not on a screen with the cursor in a parameter field, otherwise the Slider will change the parameter. So, go to the P0:Play screen and then operate the Slider while playing some notes. The Slider adjusts the Wet/Dry mix on the Master Effect 1: Sequence Delay.

I hope this helps!

Triton Classic
version 2.5.0 (MOSS, EXB2, EXB5)
MarquisMark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I will try messing around with these settings.

I think just switching to poly will solve the timbre issue I been trying to get around.
fwroberts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re welcome.

I have been exploring the Triton programming almost daily for the last few weeks, so if you have any more questions, just post them. I’m happy to learn what other people are doing with this vintage synth!

Triton Classic
version 2.5.0 (MOSS, EXB2, EXB5)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: