Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SET DATE E TIME CRASH KRONOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodelgro@virgilio.it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: SET DATE E TIME CRASH KRONOS Reply with quote

hi, I have a problem on KRONOS first version
I changed the mother board because the previous one died suddenly
everything is fine now but it gives me the message "Battery Low etc." .

Ok I proceed to adjust the date on the UTILITY menu and try to switch Kronos off and on again.

Problem, Kronos is dead, doesn't start and doesn't show any signs of life.

I try to remove the battery and WOW, Kronos restarts everything OK but usual message "Battery Low etc."

So the main problem is that you can't change the date and time, it would seem a bios or motherboard problem

Does anyone of you have the solution to this problem? thank you all
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the battery, they only last for so long, approximately 5-10 years. I am telling you this from a professional in Information Systems standpoint. Motherboard's date and time are kept by that battery and whenever it dies you need to replace it. Do not worry about the date and time once you get a new battery, if I recall, look in the manual I believe you can set the date and time in the Kronos OS and it will most likely correct the bio clock as well.
rodelgro@virgilio.it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the battery, the problem is that when I change the date and time then when I turn on everything stays off, black screen and no sign of activity, I remove the battery and Kronos turns on again, it seems that the problem is when it goes to write something in the C-MOS
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you take out the battery you actually are resetting the CMOS to factory defaults.

What happens if you take out the battery, leave it out for 30 seconds, install the battery back, and then boot the Kronos?
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodelgro@virgilio.it wrote:
I changed the battery, the problem is that when I change the date and time then when I turn on everything stays off, black screen and no sign of activity, I remove the battery and Kronos turns on again, it seems that the problem is when it goes to write something in the C-MOS

Where do you "change the date and time"? In the Kronos OS?
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot recall, look in the manual, you need to reset the memory but I do not recall how. I've been off for some years and just began playing once again after 5 year layoff due to some chronic pain issues in my spine.

You have to reset that memory but I cannot recall the name of it.
rodelgro@virgilio.it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to reinstall the firmware (sub-system) for Kronos 1, the procedure was successful, but Kronos does not turn on, basically as I understand when you go to write something in the bios (C-MOS) KRONOS dies .. l The only way to start the KRONOS is to remove the battery (obviously to reset the C-MOS) and then do nothing more, but when you turn it on, the message "Battery low set date and time etc.) will always appear.)

Last edited by rodelgro@virgilio.it on Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
rodelgro@virgilio.it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:

Where do you "change the date and time"? In the Kronos OS?

yes > DISK > UTILITY > SET DATE e TIME
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, have you replaced the MB with exactly the same model, and also did NOT update the BIOS? I remember having read somewhere here that one should avoid updating it. Am not sure which BIOS version IS ok though..

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try updating the date/time directly on the motherboard, connecting monitor and USB keyboard to motherboard and getting into BIOS for date/time update? There may be some BiOS settings conflicting with stock configurations that ship with the Kronos 1 motherboards.
rodelgro@virgilio.it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
Did you try updating the date/time directly on the motherboard, connecting monitor and USB keyboard to motherboard and getting into BIOS for date/time update? There may be some BiOS settings conflicting with stock configurations that ship with the Kronos 1 motherboards.

I thought I'd give it a try, but now I don't have the keyboard, I lent it to a friend, thanks anyway for the advice
rpowell01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:

That was my original thought as well but I didn't know if Korg blocked the ability to access the MBs bios software or not. I only opened my Kronos X to install a second SSD and I stayed away from looking at the bios software. May just surprise yourself with a simple tweak in the bios could make your life and Kronos faster and better. Most MB manufactures leave the bios at default settings.
average_male

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
average_male wrote:

That was my original thought as well but I didn't know if Korg blocked the ability to access the MBs bios software or not. I only opened my Kronos X to install a second SSD and I stayed away from looking at the bios software. May just surprise yourself with a simple tweak in the bios could make your life and Kronos faster and better. Most MB manufactures leave the bios at default settings.

Can confirm that you are free/able to update the BIOS settings. I had added a custom fan to my K1 and slowed down the fan speed in the BIOS (I had posted details on these forums) But with that said, one needs to be cautious what one updates in the BIOS.
cjfox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some hints on changing the MB (gen 1) and BIOS settings in another post, do a search for "another startup failure". If you want to change the date and time, you need to hook up a VGA monitor and a USB keyboard to the MB and do it in the BIOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: