Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacining Internal Power Supply PCB on Korg Kronos X
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
average_male

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, and I think you already confirmed this, but looking the ATX connectors, all of the pins are properly seated such that they are visible and flush and they don't get pushed in when slight pressure is applied to them, right? All pins should be visible and flush as in this picture (none should be like the 3rd one on the bottom as noted in this picture):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sm2Nsz-xJ7o/maxresdefault.jpg
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try to explain once more : I am not using the pins as such. I took these ones out, soldered the cables from the new PSU (I cut off their pins) on them, and pushed them back into this sleeve. So there is no issue of properly seating anything. I did check these soldering for proper conductance.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
average_male

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
OK, I'll try to explain once more : I am not using the pins as such. I took these ones out, soldered the cables from the new PSU (I cut off their pins) on them, and pushed them back into this sleeve. So there is no issue of properly seating anything. I did check these soldering for proper conductance.
Oh, totally sorry about that. I thought when you stated you changed the connector end and not the PSU end, I took that to mean you created and crimped the new connectors. Again sorry. That's even more perplexing now (and wondering how you reconnected the original PSU, unsoldered all wires...).

By chance you have another motherboard that takes the same connector as the Kronos' motherboard? The new PSU is the last thing to confirm working as expected. For all we know, the power supply was bad from the start or during splicing, soldering and testing it got shorted and cannot support the expected load anymore.

Just grasping and theorizing at this point as there isn't much for me to go on given my position/location.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs averagemale... I appreciate all the help. And yes, it is difficult to explain what has been done and what not.
I don't have any other MB to test.
So for now, hm, I might be putting it back together and let it run for quite some time to see if the sounds - for some reason - stopped cutting out, and if the Kronos can be restarted immediately, repeatedly. These were the issues why I wanted to swap it initially.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
average_male

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I admire your determination and braveness to attempt this PSU upgrade. And the work you are doing will help others planning/needing to upgrade their PSU as I would imagine Korg (and its supplier) may not be producing the stock PSU in the near future and any failing PSUs would need replacing. Will keep an eye out for any updates/progress. Thanks.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also test your new PS by itself to see its behaviour. There might have been some mistake connecting it or as previously mentioned there could have been some overload created as the original PS has stronger specs for the -12 V, etc. If the new PS behaves normally with minimal load, that could explain the issue. Following the same example, I would then personally measure the current drawn for the -12 V with your original PS to confirm, etc. Of course, no need to do anything of this if your Kronos now works fine.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos has been running now for 2h with the old PSU OK.

Now while the sound cutting off happened very unregularly and so I can't confirm this yet, what on the other hand is new: I can restart it again straight after switching it off, no matter how long it ran! So an improvement even though I didn't really change anything..
Only what's popping up now is a low Bios battery...

average_male

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given this new behavior, original issue may have been a loose connection of some sort, right? But glad to hear things appear to be working better now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: