Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

forScore App with Pa5x
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyKorgPa5x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: forScore App with Pa5x Reply with quote

Is it possible to connect iPad with forScore to the Korg Pa5x via Midi so that when I change songs on the forScore app, it will automatically select via Midi the "pre-set" style, tempo, sounds, etc.

Also, some songs have style and/or tempo changes and it would be nice to have a "button" at the point that would do so.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember trying this with the Pa4x and the issue with ForScore is it does not send Sysex packets which is what the keyboard needs to select songbook entries. I don't know if Forscore has been u-pdated or if the Pa5x has relaxed that requirement; Ill Have to research.
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I remember trying this with the Pa4x and the issue with ForScore is it does not send Sysex packets which is what the keyboard needs to select songbook entries. I don't know if Forscore has been u-pdated or if the Pa5x has relaxed that requirement; Ill Have to research.

Nope sorry, just MSB/LSB/PC messages selects songbook entries Smile check page 323 of the manual....I did a Facebook vid of it for the pa1xor the pa2x, I cannot recall.

always been the case. I was doing on the PA1xPro!
LeSchloma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: forScore App with Pa5x Reply with quote

MyKorgPa5x wrote:
Is it possible to connect iPad with forScore to the Korg Pa5x via Midi so that when I change songs on the forScore app, it will automatically select via Midi the "pre-set" style, tempo, sounds, etc.

Also, some songs have style and/or tempo changes and it would be nice to have a "button" at the point that would do so.

Yes! In forScore you have to edit a midi hex code.

Example: Song X has the songbook ID 145. To call up this song via forScore edit the following midi command via hex code:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40
BF 06 01 BF 26 2D
In the second line, hex code 01 corresponds to decimal 100, hex 2D to decimal 45, so the notation app calls up songbook entry 145.

Another example for the song Y, with the songbook ID 267:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40
BF 06 02 BF 26 43
The HEX 02 of the second line corresponds to the decimal 200, the hex 43 to the decimal 67, so forScore calls up the songbook entry 267 via the hex code.

No rocket science, by the way, the first hex line always remains the same.

Regards from Cologne
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using complicate Hex messages and not simply CC/PC commands to select a Songbook file on the PA5?
LeSchloma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pax-eterna.1 wrote:
Why are you using complicate Hex messages and not simply CC/PC commands to select a Songbook file on the PA5?

Because it's working and connects perfectly pdfs with songbook entries. This hex structure comes from the former midi learn function of forScore and I have kept it. Once understood, it is not complicated.

So if you have an easier way, other ideas using CC/PC that's fine. I don't know this procedure. Let me know.
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSchloma wrote:
pax-eterna.1 wrote:

Because it's working and connects perfectly pdfs with songbook entries. This hex structure comes from the former midi learn function of forScore and I have kept it. Once understood, it is not complicated.

So if you have an easier way, other ideas using CC/PC that's fine. I don't know this procedure. Let me know.

Read above, I gave you the page number of the manual that explains it. As I wrote, users have been able to do this since the PA1xPro days.
mstodola

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if Hex code translation is a problem, just go online and do a Hex to Decimal conversion. It isn't that complicated. And he gave you the format Very Happy
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pax-eterna.1 wrote:
kbrkr wrote:

Nope sorry, just MSB/LSB/PC messages selects songbook entries Smile check page 323 of the manual....I did a Facebook vid of it for the pa1xor the pa2x, I cannot recall.

I'd like to see a sample conversion. I tried the instructions on page 324 of the manual and there is a discrepancy. ForScore is expecting 4 Paramters; Channel, MSB, LSB and Program 0-127. How do you reconcile this with the manual which wants NRPN MSB, NRPN LSB, DataEnt MSB, DataEnt, LSB ?
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: forScore App with Pa5x Reply with quote

LeSchloma wrote:
MyKorgPa5x wrote:

Yes! In forScore you have to edit a midi hex code.

Example: Song X has the songbook ID 145. To call up this song via forScore edit the following midi command via hex code:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40
BF 06 01 BF 26 2D
In the second line, hex code 01 corresponds to decimal 100, hex 2D to decimal 45, so the notation app calls up songbook entry 145.

Another example for the song Y, with the songbook ID 267:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40
BF 06 02 BF 26 43
The HEX 02 of the second line corresponds to the decimal 200, the hex 43 to the decimal 67, so forScore calls up the songbook entry 267 via the hex code.

No rocket science, by the way, the first hex line always remains the same.

Regards from Cologne

Can we revisit this; it is not working on my Pa5x:

No matter what value I put in the HEX code; I keep getting a "Song Not Available" Error
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pax-eterna.1 wrote:
kbrkr wrote:

Can you direct me to your video on Facebook because your instructions do not coorelate to the Pa5x:

The manual states the structure is:

Data 1 Data 2
NRPN MSB 2
NRPN LSB 64
DataEnt MSB 0
DataEnt LSB 77

But ForScore data entry is like the following:

Program Change
Channel MSB LSB 0-127

They do not seem to translate the same. What am I missing?
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You MUST use the NRPN and RPN numbers, that message in Forscore will never work.

They are what is missing Smile

And, they also must be in the correct order. Again, explained in the manual.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pax-eterna.1 wrote:
You MUST use the NRPN and RPN numbers, that message in Forscore will never work.

Your actually not being helpful; Forscore requires the channel and the program number in addition to the NRPN and RPN numbers. The packet is Channel, MSB, LSB, and Program.

You know how to do it, but won't give me an example.
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use Forscore - all I can give you is the correct data, reference to the order this data needs to be in and confirm it works.

You will need to find out how to enter NRPN's into Forscore yourself.

I imagine it may even be in sysex data format.

I finally located my old video - this is for PA2x but works on all models. I also use UnRealbook and not Forscore...but hopefully it will give you some clues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_cVjThIh0
LeSchloma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
pax-eterna.1 wrote:

Your actually not being helpful; Forscore requires the channel and the program number in addition to the NRPN and RPN numbers. The packet is Channel, MSB, LSB, and Program.

You know how to do it, but won't give me an example.

First the hex codes are identical for PA4X and PA5X.

Please use sending Hex Codes and not Program Changes in forScore. The procedure describes sending the ControlChange on MIDI channel 16 (Hex BF). There is the fixed InitString (BF 63 02 BF 62 40), followed by the variable SongSelect-String (BF 06 0A BF 26 00) to select the e.g. songbook no. 1000. The complete command sequence must always be sent, otherwise it will not work.

Example Songbook Entry 145:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40 BF 06 01 BF 26 2D

Example Songbook Entry 267:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40 BF 06 02 BF 26 43

Example Songbook Entry 1000:
BF 63 02 BF 62 40 BF 06 0A BF 26 00

Regards, Ralf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: