Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help-trying reproduce/program a sound from Triton for Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Help-trying reproduce/program a sound from Triton for Kronos Reply with quote

Hi All, I need some guidance reprogramming, or recreating a sound (a program) that was resident in the Triton Studio to put into my Kronos V2.

It is Keyboard I-A001Acoustic Piano. This is the very first program under the Keyboard tab at the top left of the touch screen in program mode.

Years ago I put it into a combi with an analog string and tweaked the eq just a bit, added a tad of verb and its become a staple forward sounding patch for me. But I am trying to wean out the triton and have replaced it with a kronos v2.

This task seems easy enough to do myself, but there is something about the kronos extensive acoustic pianos that I struggle with tonally. It's like there was to much thought put into reproducing a real acoustic piano that they forgot to keep the staple stuff that pop songs are made of. The kronos pianos are incredibly expressive, with colors, tones and lid positions but I don't do opera house grand piano concerts for a living, I play pop covers for highend weddings and tour and have to push out Billy Joel and Elton John and EWF piano most of the night in a 12 piece horn band.

The thing is that the Triton Studio I-A001 Acoustic Piano cuts through in a live mix and sounds alive and center/mono forward and not prettied up and sat over on the left & right stereo sides to surround the songs with lots of ambiances, because all of that gets lost in the mix, and I can achieve any of that with other pads/synth/E.Pianos/string/Acoustic pianos in the kronos.

I don't believe the I-A001 Acoustic patch is in Korgs KRS-08 Best of Triton either, I've only seen the Super Grand in that list of programs.

Thank you all for any guidance on this programming matter.

I would be willing to pay someone to recreate this patch for me in the Kronos.

Sincerely,

RMW
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work with a program in HD-1 mode instead of a piano in the SGX-2 engine. This way, you will only work with samples instead of the felt noise and damper noise emulators, etc. Look at the Kronos Voice List PDF and you will see several completely different sample sets, from basic to very fancy. You will probably be closer to the Triton sound using piano samples from the ROM, EXs1 or EXs2.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Triton PCM sample for the Studio program A001 Acoustic Piano, assigned to OSC1, is ROM 000 A.Piano should you be able to find that sample somewhere in the Kronos.
RMW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, awesome insight! The idea of looking at the ROM samples, EXs1 & 2 in the HD-1 mode instead of looking at the SGX 2 is a great idea, and knowing what the triton A001 program is called in its ROM status really helps me. I wish I had taken the time to internalize and understand more of the technologies used in digital keyboards over the years because I have always just built my combis from programs with minimal editing to them. As an example, there are analog pads that have to much resonance in them, but when you slide the ribbon controller to the left you can find the amount you're looking for somewhere in the slide, but you can't freeze and save it in that position. So I figure you have to go in and find what parameter the ribbon controller is affecting then make the edit in there and resave/rename the program ...and that's where having a more advanced understanding would greatly help. And I guess that would be referred to as sound design.

I'm going to work a bit with these ideas and see what happens. SO appreciate it, gentlemen.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Also, in case you don't know about them, there are freeware you can download for your Kronos if you have a PC, simply google their names to find their download links. For example, PCG Tools, the Kronos Editor and also TidyKronos offer to rearrange your programs and combis the way you want and each also has some unique features of their own. But since you mentioned about finding what controls what in programs, the TidyKronos freeware has a function that does exactly that called View Used AMS/Controllers, so you can get a list of them for each program, it can be very useful.
Sweat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed the default settings for Kronos pianos are expressive, with colors and tones, though more appreciated on their own, or softer music. However as a friendly reminder, EQ and compression are your best friends for turning those smooth, dark, classical timbres into razor-cutting rock stage pianos.
RMW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you guys Rock! thank you.

I've dug in and found the ROM samples from the HD-1 and used the instrument pdf list to identify the single and double voice programs, so far they are the closest thing to the triton program I am trying to reproduce in the Kronos.

I think I need to look at less-acoustic piano samples and more at the synth side for sounds to achieve this in the kronos because I believe this Triton program I-A001 A.Piano is a single Oscillator (OSC 1) multisample, meaning there are 3 layers in the one multisample..? because I can hear them sounding each at different velocity layers. The lowest (most quiet) sound is like a mellow soft synth E.piano with a long soft hangout, and the second layer is a dampened (darker) acoustic piano with brighter timbre than the lowest first layer, and the 3rd top (loudest) layer is a bright acoustic sample for the bite. It is extremely expressive but more like a modern highbred acoustic. Still digging.

Listening to the PCM samples in the triton, I am reminded of how very different the 2 technologies sound, I mean wow! ...and I like them both. Wish I could have them both in the Kronos. Just one more internal soft-synth Triton engine rounding it off to 10 maybe?

Also planning on looking at the PC editors for the Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: