Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 1 - System Startup Failed after adding 2nd drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Kronos 1 - System Startup Failed after adding 2nd drive Reply with quote

I'm upgrading a K1 73 untouched since purchase in 2012.
I added the 2nd 2G RAM module, and added a second drive.

To add the 2nd drive, I used the SATA connector on the motherboard next to the main drive's SATA connector with a new SATA cable. I used the SATA drive power connector that was in the drive power cable.

The drive being added is a 30G Toshiba that was taken out of my K1 when I upgraded it to a larger drive. To prevent boot confusion, I deleted all the partitions on the secondary drive.

Now it won't boot, with System Startup Failed.

Did I miss anything on adding a secondary SSD drive?

EDIT - I attached the drive to a USB - SATA adapter and connected it to the Kronos back panel USB port (after booting). The drive was recognized as unformatted. I formatted it using the Kronos Disk Utility menu, powered down, and installed the drive back inside the Kronos. The Kronos still has System Startup Failed. Just unplugging the 2nd SSD drive SATA connector is enough to cause the Kronos to boot normally.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be trying to boot from the new drive. Maybe try swapping the SATA cables.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From My post many years ago:

“”””””I installed my Crucial SSD 128 GIGs many years ago. The original drive was in Sata 1, so had to put that in SATA 0, with the new drive in SATA 1. It (then) booted up, and all was ok, so i went to disk mode, it said "unrecognized disk", so formatted it. Now then - it "seems" fine. “””””

JOHN 3:16
timg11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Xenophile and @AnthonyB - that was it exactly!
I searched through the forum on this topic, but must have missed Anthony's post.

Move the existing drive to the other SATA port before connecting the new drive, and it boots.

Definitely unexpected for a motherboard made in the last 20 years. Legacy BIOS's made you select a specific boot drive, but I've never seen a recent one that would only attempt to boot from a non-bootable drive when two were connected. Of course it would be a lot easier if I could connect a VGA monitor and see the BIOS and boot process, but the mechanical configuration makes it impossible to insert a plug.

I looked in the Intel D510 Motherboard manual to learn the port designations. In this Kronos, the original single drive was connected to SATA Connector 1. Add new drive to SATA Connector 0, no boot.
Move original drive to SATA connector 0, and new drive on 1, and it works.

Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
@Xenophile and @AnthonyB - that was it exactly!
Definitely unexpected for a motherboard made in the last 20 years. Legacy BIOS's made you select a specific boot drive, but I've never seen a recent one that would only attempt to boot from a non-bootable drive when two were connected.

I may be wrong, but I think boot drive selection is a function of the Linux boot-loader, and not system BIOS.

I've been thinking about modifying my Kronos to allow connecting a monitor to the motherboard's VGA port so I can nerd out. I've read where some people have cut a hole in the back panel to route out a cable.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely all Kronos units are connected that way. I had to do the same swap years ago when I cloned the small SSD on my new much bigger one. Connected it on SATA0 and the old still bootable SSD is now on SATA1. You can have two bootable SSD connected in the Kronos, but the second one will appear as unformatted by the system even though it is just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: