Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trigger sounds via Kross editor plugin on other keyboard ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaneda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Trigger sounds via Kross editor plugin on other keyboard ? Reply with quote

If you use the Kross editor plugin in a DAW (with the Kross 2 connected to the computer, of course), can you trigger those sounds with another keyboard, like a MIDI controller ?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by "those sounds" you mean the Kross's sounds, then no. The Kross Editor can be used to edit the Kross' Programs and Combis, and to play those sounds via the editor's on-screen keyboard, but it has no mechanism to route USB MIDI from another keyboard. The easiest way to play the Kross' sounds from another controller, would be to connect the DIN MIDI In port on the back of the Kross to the DIN MIDI Out port on the other keyboard, if it has physical DIN connector ports. If not, then you could try using software like MIDI Patchbay to connect the USB MIDI from keyboard or controller, to the Kross' USB MIDI port. MIDI Patchbay is free, I think, whilst MIDI Patchbay Extended is a paid-for software.

https://soundigy.com/midipatchbay.php

Kaneda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If by "those sounds" you mean the Kross's sounds, then no. The Kross Editor can be used to edit the Kross' Programs and Combis, and to play those sounds via the editor's on-screen keyboard, but it has no mechanism to route USB MIDI from another keyboard. The easiest way to play the Kross' sounds from another controller, would be to connect the DIN MIDI In port on the back of the Kross to the DIN MIDI Out port on the other keyboard, if it has physical DIN connector ports. If not, then you could try using software like MIDI Patchbay to connect the USB MIDI from keyboard or controller, to the Kross' USB MIDI port. MIDI Patchbay is free, I think, whilst MIDI Patchbay Extended is a paid-for software.

Well, it puzzles me then why Korg would release the Kross editor as a VST pluging. What's the use of it then ?
Kaneda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Well, it puzzles me then why Korg would release the Kross editor as a VST plugin. What's the use of it then ?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The editor comes in two flavours, the VST plugin and a standalone version. The VST plugin alows people to work from within a VST host environment, which some prefer to do. There is no tone generator functionality in the editor. The same is true for the editors for other keyboards e.g. the Kronos, and the M50, both of which exist in VST versions. The editor makes editing Programs and Combis easier, since there's more screen real estate.

On the other hand, the Korg Collection (and the Legacy Collection before it) is a series of VST plugins that do have tone generator functionality, so can be played in the VST environment, and triggered by external keyboards and controllers. The Kross doesn't feature in the collection yet, the most recent instrument being the Triton Extreme.

Kaneda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation !
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Coming back on the initial question. The answer according to me is YES! Smile

As void explains, the Kross Editor comes in two flavours, standalone and VST plugin.

The VST plugin is exactly the same as the standalone version, except that you can bring it up in your DAW and use it as a instrument track and edit from there also the programs or combis.
As said, the VST plugin is not a tone generator. So in order to have it working properly the Kross needs to be connected to your PC. Notes on a track assigned with the Kross Editor VST will be forwarded by the VST to the Kross using MIDI. The latter will make the actual sound. To get the sound back in your DAW, connect the audio L/R outputs of the Kross to your audio interface inputs which need to be mapped in your DAW.

Now as soon as the VST plugin is assigned to a track, you can trigger notes on that track using whatever other note input device, like another USB MIDI controller and hence via the VST plugin, trigger the Kross.
So the combination other MIDI controller -> DAW -> VST Kross Editor plugin -> Kross works like a kind of patchbay.

Have fun.
Kaneda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so as well that it was possible as long as the kross 2 is turned on and connected to the computer.
However, I’m now considering buying the Korg Collection 4 instead. I believe this will offer me more in the long run…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: