Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waldorf Quantum 2 vs Kronos 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Waldorf Quantum 2 vs Kronos 2 Reply with quote

I have a Quantum 2 and just wanted to share my thoughts if anyone is interested.

It certainly would never replace my Kronos's as it's a totally different beast of a machine although it does feel much more upto date as far as having a more intuitive navigation. I was blown away with the sound which was even better with the analog chip settings I felt.
The screen seemed more responsive then the Kronos which is interesting and I wasn't really expecting that but maybe just 'cos it's newer. Having the Arp/ latch also chord buttons were a real plus and that is something I always have missed on the Kronos. Having to dive into the menu to locate arp on off switches is not ideal and I think If Korg finally make us all a long awaited Kronos 3, then they should have this.

It's extremely well built and very heavy, infact I couldn't lift it myself, and can just about lift my Kronos so long as it's not far.

There is a huge difference in loading samples in the Quantum each time you change presets/ patches compared to my Kronos which was instant in loading as it's already pre-loaded on boot up. It was nicer to play the Kronos since it was instant ( after waiting for it to boot). The boot up time for the Quantum was instant which was nice too!

The factory bank is over 3000 so something there for every eventuality I think. Fairly easy to create your own Int patch too, well that's if you are into sound design.

The fatar keys were ok but I still think the Kronos keybed is better and less scratchy underneath. Nothing so far has beaten my REV 2 keybed which is perfect.

I bought it mostly for the granular and wavetables which are incredible. I love the touch control you have over it all, amazing. Nice also to see images of your waves, grains etc..That's why it's special I think.

As for the price, well it is very expensive and I don't think it's really worth that much since you can buy a few synths for that price, but it is quality.

I couldn't find a forum at all for Waldorf and don't think one exists.

Wondered if anyone else has purchased the Quantum 2 what are your thoughts, experiences, any issues with them?

Probably have not covered all of it here but some at least for now.

The coloured lights are a nice touch, they can be changed in the settings so they relate to whatever you have, kernals, granular etc... Look great in the dark too. Maybe I only bought it because of the coloured lights.....
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting post - thanks for sharing your opinion.

First up, if you bought it just because of all the coloured lights, you're in good company. I bet most of us have been there, and look at the huge amount of money the recent Kickstarter raised for Chompi - don't tell me that the spec was the big draw...

One question that has come up on this forum a few times before has been from people looking for something they can add to their set-up that will give them something that the Kronos can't. In terms of purely synths, there really isn't that much because the Kronos does so much already. Even if it's not in the box, you can add libraries that will cover most things. But I've always felt that Waldorf is the one make that has a sufficiently distinctive sound and approach to tick that box. That's why - for all its limitations and flaws - I can still find a place in my music for the Blofeld.

The idea of a Quantum, therefore, sounds appealing. It will knock my Blofeld out of the park on every level, and do it in a far more user-friendly way. The only drawback for me is that the Quantum doesn't have the multi-timbrality that I'd need, but if that's not an issue for you, then fine.

I can't find a Quantum users' forum either.

The cost? Yes, it's a lot of money but if you're taking the trouble to invest that heavily in your music, then your music is important enough to you to make it a worthwhile purchase. Good for you - enjoy it.

I'm currently in the position where I could also splash out. I don't yet know if I will or not, but if I were to do so, it would certainly be something at the top end that would stretch my knowledge of synthesis and sound design - maybe the Groove Synthesis Third Wave or the Tasty Chips GR-Mega. If there was a multi-timbral Quantum, it would also be on my list.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the interface on the Quantums. If I had the extra cash.... Anyway, congrats! By the way, if you Google "Waldorf Quantum Forum" you will find a lot of posts for it. On one forum there are more than 500 pages (!) of posts for the original, and 9 pages for the Mark II.

pete.m wrote:

I'm currently in the position where I could also splash out. I don't yet know if I will or not, but if I were to do so, it would certainly be something at the top end that would stretch my knowledge of synthesis and sound design - maybe the Groove Synthesis Third Wave or the Tasty Chips GR-Mega. If there was a multi-timbral Quantum, it would also be on my list.

You two are listing my most recent gear lusts! Cool stuff. Some other weird things I've been pining over are the Solar 42 and Torso S-4 granular sampler. Unfortunately, I have to pay IRS over 3 large, so I'll be waiting a while. First time I've had to pay ever. Sad
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commiserations, Mike. If I was in charge of your IRS case, I'd just be waving you through and telling you to go and enjoy yourself Very Happy Wink

I also like the look of the Solar 42 and Torso S-4. Sometimes I'm wary of some of the gear that comes out because, whilst they might be capable of incredible things, not all of them seem to me to have that much musicality. These things are intensely personal, of course.

Back to the Quantum, I've taken a closer look in the light of what the OP was saying, and yeah - it really does look great. I like the way it's laid out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: