Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos - what next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos - what next? Reply with quote

I dread the day my Kronos dies. As far as I can tell, there is no replacement as capable as this machine. I have unrealBook dialing up sounds via wireless MIDI and it's FAST. A band I play in, has tons of layering/splits, very fast song transitions and the Kronos handles it like a beast. I use all the program mutes/slider for live use preserving polyphony. It sounds incredible.

But I know it will not last forever. My JP-8000 just died, other keyboards dying too. Capacitors only last so long.

I need those buttons and sliders and the ability to have all the layers and splits. MainStage is slow.

So I ask, what is next?
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos - what next? Reply with quote

8-Ball wrote:
● Reply hazy, try again
● Ask again later
● Better not tell you now
● Cannot predict now
● Concentrate and ask again
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's next? Stasis and disappointment.

Korg used to make aspirational, flagship products. Now they make cheap toys. Perhaps that is a transition that was made out of necessity.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the products that, in combination, give you what the Kronos would.

The decomposed workstation as pragmatic necessity, rather than explicit, coherent design. It's what we're left with.

I'm still disgusted that Roland never took its AIRA line in that direction.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a backup Kronos, or two, even.

Sweat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

^^^^^ THIS.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
voip wrote:

^^^^^ THIS.

If you've got thousands of dollars to spare and a road crew to carry it.
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have thousands of $$ to spare, probably because I play for free. But I do gig heavily and only charge for being my own road crew, and carrying my Kronos. lol.
Like the OP, if you gig regularly, backup gear can be vital. It's insurance. I saved little by little each gig to get an extra K, then two. They are each configured alike. Now it's good that Korg libraries can be shared up to 3 Kronos. I don't bring a backup to local pub gigs, but can be ready for the next show if tragedy strikes.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus is a stop-gap lower price point solution to still capitalize the platform. But a true Kronos successor is bound to be released, if only due to market pressure from the usual suspects Yamaha, Roland, and whatnot. When, or in which capacity or form, we don't know and cannot predict.

Will it be based on Raspberry's platform like the new Mod/Wavestations? Will it have the Montage's new dual life as a VST and hardware product at the same time for the same price? Or will it have some sort of cloud integration like Roland's ZenCore, gearing towards a subscription?

One thing I'm sure, the amount of $$ to execute the necessary product R&D is staggering for any musical instrument company.
AMR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos - what next? Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I dread the day my Kronos dies. As far as I can tell, there is no replacement as capable as this machine. I have unrealBook dialing up sounds via wireless MIDI and it's FAST. A band I play in, has tons of layering/splits, very fast song transitions and the Kronos handles it like a beast. I use all the program mutes/slider for live use preserving polyphony. It sounds incredible.

But I know it will not last forever. My JP-8000 just died, other keyboards dying too. Capacitors only last so long.

I need those buttons and sliders and the ability to have all the layers and splits. MainStage is slow.

So I ask, what is next?

My kronos 88 is on it's 3rd dead power supply and I can't seem to get another one.

An eventual Kronos VST won't replace the fantastic controlling keyboard it is, but will keep its content alive... No reason not to expect such development soon....
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe in a future Korg new and real workstation.
But if not : I will buy a Nautilus to replace my very old Kronos 88 still alive and well !

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Nautilus have the polyphony preserving mode of combinations? Live mode?

OK at least it does have it. Page 767 parameter guide.

Nothing beats the Kronos. This is probably the best keyboard I have ever owned for this type of situation. Unmatched. But you guys know that.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always sigh when I see people here still thinking Korg will have a replacement for the Kronos. Don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing wrong with a positive attitude and hope. Inevitably it will turn into the bitter mote of a soul as the harsh reality of Korg’s transformation into a toy musical instrument manufacturer becomes complete. Casio used to inhabit that niche. Now they are trying to make more serious keyboards.

The new Arturia Astrolab is a sign of things to come. When they come out with a “pro version” or updated version with a large display and a sequencer, the paradigm shift away from Korg will be finished. The same thing could happen if Kurzweil updates the K2700 with user sampling. Both keyboards have the potential to become the market replacement for the OASYS/Kronos line.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by ITguy54 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astrolab may point to the future, but it's a toy compared to the Kronos.
Only 2 parts, 10 presets, limited effects, 61 keys only etc..

One feature I use all the time is is muting and unmuting of up to 9 parts (layered or split), persevering polyphony when not using parts, FAST changes due to the awesome set lists feature.

No other keyboard (that I know of) can do this quickly and easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: