Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi-weighted Keybed action on the PA5X 61 or 76 Key Version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmarano

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Semi-weighted Keybed action on the PA5X 61 or 76 Key Version Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a new 76-key PA5X and am really enjoying it so far as I travel up the learning curve. However, there is one aspect that frankly I'm having some mixed feelings about - the action on the semi-weighted keyboard. I have found it to be significantly stiffer than pretty much any other semi-weighted keyboard I've used in the past. In fairness, the solid construction of the PA5X's keybed was actually one of the things that attracted me to it over the Genos. But I'm finding that it's taking me some time to get used to it. Admittedly, this might be somewhat due to the fact that I have it paired with another semi-weighted Korg keyboard, the M3. The M3's keybed, while also solidly constructed, is noticeably lighter in action in comparison, and I have found it somewhat easier to play.

The impetus for posting about this here is that I just watched the latest Woody's Piano Shack YouTube video on the PA5X in which his initial comment was just how much he enjoyed the semi-weighted action on his 61-key PA5X, actually calling it the best he has ever experienced. So in a way, I found Woody's comments to be somewhat encouraging and comforting, in that this might simply be a case of me getting more accustomed to the PA5X's action.

With that in mind, I would be interested in hearing how other PA5X owners here regard the keybed action on the semi-weighted version. Have they found it to be noticeably stiffer; did they view that as a good or bad thing; and did their opinion change over time? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi-weighted Keybed action on the PA5X 61 or 76 Key Ver Reply with quote

sjmarano wrote:
I just recently purchased a new 76-key PA5X and am really enjoying it so far as I travel up the learning curve. However, there is one aspect that frankly I'm having some mixed feelings about - the action on the semi-weighted keyboard. I have found it to be significantly stiffer than pretty much any other semi-weighted keyboard I've used in the past. In fairness, the solid construction of the PA5X's keybed was actually one of the things that attracted me to it over the Genos. But I'm finding that it's taking me some time to get used to it. Admittedly, this might be somewhat due to the fact that I have it paired with another semi-weighted Korg keyboard, the M3. The M3's keybed, while also solidly constructed, is noticeably lighter in action in comparison, and I have found it somewhat easier to play.

The impetus for posting about this here is that I just watched the latest Woody's Piano Shack YouTube video on the PA5X in which his initial comment was just how much he enjoyed the semi-weighted action on his 61-key PA5X, actually calling it the best he has ever experienced. So in a way, I found Woody's comments to be somewhat encouraging and comforting, in that this might simply be a case of me getting more accustomed to the PA5X's action.

With that in mind, I would be interested in hearing how other PA5X owners here regard the keybed action on the semi-weighted version. Have they found it to be noticeably stiffer; did they view that as a good or bad thing; and did their opinion change over time? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have had the semi-weighted 76-key version for almost a full year now. I liked the action the first time I played it and still fully enjoy it over the Nautilus, Oasys and Montage M7 keybeds. All four are very good but the Pa5X is just a bit superior as I see it. I get that bit of feedback from it more than the others. That allows me to be more expressive as a result. That being said; feel is such a personal emotion. The weight seems a bit heavier for me as well. Surely it is different for each different individual. A matter of comfort and confidence. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is certainly heavier than the semi weight Numa I used to have.

It did not take long to acclimatise to it.

As keybeds in Korg’s go it is IMO vastly superior to other Pa’s and to the Kross 2 that I used to have.
mstodola

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a number of Kurzweil semi-action keyboards and all of them are heavier than the any Korg semi-action. So it isn't the heaviest.

It is more the type of spring action that I notice the most. If it's a Fatar type, then it will be a regular spring being pulled. This is the type on the Kurzweil which tires the hand when playing for long periods of time. Unlike a piano when the key is pressed down there is a resistance and then it is released. With a spring there is a constant resistance which gets harder the further it is pushed down.

Yamaha used to use a spring action that was a straight flat spring that initially it had resistance and then when pushed would break and have less resistance which emulated a piano more. That keybed I could play for hours.

But over the years I've found that every keyboard key action is different just like pianos. I found if I liked the sound, I would get used to the key action and be happy.
sjmarano

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded here. I really appreciate your feedback which is encouraging and what I was hoping to hear. And to mstodola - I fully understand and appreciate what you said. I was initially leaning toward the 88 key version of the PA5X with its weighted hammer action precisely for the characteristics that you described. But it simply was too big and heavy for my current studio.
mstodola

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only keybeds that are 76 key and hammer action that I know of are the Montage M7 and I think a yamaha YC. But I know what you mean. When a hammer is released after pushing down I used to recognize the feeling as a means of timing or keeping of time. Soft keybeds loose that. But We only get what manufacturers make. Yamaha used to make something with a spring that worked but I don't know any more. The Korg Pa5x and Pa4x have a soft enough touch that I don't get tired from playing. But judging volocity for delicate passages is sometimes difficult. But with all the different sounds (not just piano) that are available they have to make compromises. It's like playing the organ keybed which is not that accurate timing wise without the click that is sounded when pressing a key. Also the organs velocity or volume is controlled by a pedal.

It's sometimes hard to decide. Decisions, decisions. Anywho, good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: