Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making and editing sounds/styles and other newbie questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adras

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Making and editing sounds/styles and other newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi!
I bought a PA5X two days ago, and despite reading the manual cover to cover, I'm seriously stuck on several things.

1) How do I call up the Rec/Edit menu? The manual suggests I should just press the button and then I can edit sounds, create styles, etc... But pressing that button only closes the current screen if I'm not already in Home (so the button works). It never shows any Edit menu or similar.

2) When I switch off "Split", I do not hear the "Lower" voice anymore even if it is active. I would expect the lower voice to sound below the split point, and the Upper 1-3 across the whole range, so on top of the lower below the split point. I that an OS bug?

3) This forum suggests that I can octave-shift the Lower voice with Shift-Octave. That doesn't work, it still only shifts the upper voices. I have the 76 key version, and usually the Lower voices are much too high even playing the lowest keys. How can I shift the Lower an octave?

4) I get how to stack 3 Upper voices. But how can I split the Upper into multiple parts? So for example Upper 1 has a Piano in most of the range and Bells in the top octave; Upper 2 has a trumpet in most of the range and a piano in the top octave, etc...

5) Same with lower. I know I can not layer multiple sounds in Lower, but how can I split the lower range into multiple instruments?

6) I come from the classical (pipe) organ, and routinely need 30 or more registrations per piece. It seems I can only store 4 registrations per "song" in the songbook?!? Even my old Technics KN6000 can do 12...

6a) Switching songs to get more registrations seems not possible without interrupting playback/restarting the rhythm. At best it switches on the next full measure, but I sometimes might need to switch every beat for quick registration changes.

7) This one is the "worst" headscratcher: Let's say I have a piece that requires 30 registration changes. Like different (self-made) styles, splits, pads, etc... How would I sequence through all these settings (that would be "registrations" on a normal organ) in the right order via a single button ("next") or a MIDI note from a connected controller?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!!
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Making and editing sounds/styles and other newbie questi Reply with quote

adras wrote:
Hi!
I bought a PA5X two days ago, and despite reading the manual cover to cover, I'm seriously stuck on several things.

1) How do I call up the Rec/Edit menu? The manual suggests I should just press the button and then I can edit sounds, create styles, etc... But pressing that button only closes the current screen if I'm not already in Home (so the button works). It never shows any Edit menu or similar.

Strange, are you sure that you press the right button? It's the rec/edit hardware button at the bottom left of your touchscreen

adras wrote:

2) When I switch off "Split", I do not hear the "Lower" voice anymore even if it is active. I would expect the lower voice to sound below the split point, and the Upper 1-3 across the whole range, so on top of the lower below the split point. I that an OS bug?

If you disable split that you can use the upper sounds across the full keyboard (like a piano for instance). It's not a bug, it's the way it's intended to work.

adras wrote:

3) This forum suggests that I can octave-shift the Lower voice with Shift-Octave. That doesn't work, it still only shifts the upper voices. I have the 76 key version, and usually the Lower voices are much too high even playing the lowest keys. How can I shift the Lower an octave?

In the tuning tab of the keyboard set

adras wrote:

4) I get how to stack 3 Upper voices. But how can I split the Upper into multiple parts? So for example Upper 1 has a Piano in most of the range and Bells in the top octave; Upper 2 has a trumpet in most of the range and a piano in the top octave, etc...

You can do this in the keyboard set

adras wrote:

5) Same with lower. I know I can not layer multiple sounds in Lower, but how can I split the lower range into multiple instruments?

you can only assign one lower sound to a keyboard set, but if you want to layer multiple sounds in the lower sound or create splits with different sounds then you can do this in the sound edit menu and create a custom lower sound for this that has that behavior

adras wrote:

6) I come from the classical (pipe) organ, and routinely need 30 or more registrations per piece. It seems I can only store 4 registrations per "song" in the songbook?!? Even my old Technics KN6000 can do 12...

6a) Switching songs to get more registrations seems not possible without interrupting playback/restarting the rhythm. At best it switches on the next full measure, but I sometimes might need to switch every beat for quick registration changes.

7) This one is the "worst" headscratcher: Let's say I have a piece that requires 30 registration changes. Like different (self-made) styles, splits, pads, etc... How would I sequence through all these settings (that would be "registrations" on a normal organ) in the right order via a single button ("next") or a MIDI note from a connected controller?

If you want to use 30 registrations for an organ than the only way to do this is to divide that 30 by 4 keyboard sets = 8 songs. Then create a setlist where you add those 4 songs and you can switch between those registrations through the setlist.

I would highly suggest to watch my tutorials on my youtube channel, almost every question here is answered in one of the 40 videos in that tutorial playlist

you can find that playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krORek_EF3g&list=PLx607dnAaOs7Shjom_OCKnGJh03fIU0JK&index=1
adras

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that helps a lot!

1) Yes, i press the Rec/Edit button to the left of the screen, directly below User.
It doesn't do anything anywhere, just leaves whatever screen is open.

2) Yes, I know when I disable the split the Upper fills the whole range. But if I switch on Lower, I would expect it to still sound in the Lower range (below the split point), but with the 3 Uppers on top (because Split is disabled).

4 and 5. Yeah, seems those are the menus I can't get to because the Rec/Edit button doesn't do anything.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adras wrote:

Yes, i press the Rec/Edit button to the left of the screen, directly below User.
It doesn't do anything anywhere, just leaves whatever screen is open

This is not correct , ensure that you're in main Style play or press exit 2 times , then press Rec/Edit button , if does not respond then you have hardware issue ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
adras

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I press Exit until I am in the Home screen, pressing Rec/Edit doesn't do anything.
I suspected a hardware issue, too. But the button clearly works - it does the same as Exit anywhere. So the keyboard "knows" I press it, it just does the wrong thing.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Pa5X latest OS 1.2 manual on page 38.
While in Style Play interface , pressing Rec/Edit tab you will definitely see REC/EDIT MENU page of the picture there ,
else your button is either damaged nor malfunctioning !
In this case you have to visit urgently official Korg service !
There is a rare case of less than 1‰ , reloading OS v1.21 that button might work in case of GUI corrupted code !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
adras

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems my Pa5X is indeed broken, I can't get that button to work.
I will contact the seller and hope they agree to take it back Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: