Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using EQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still referring to this guide everyday. It's been really helpful and I have passed it on to a lot of people. Thanks (even thought a bit late) but, I had to put it to the test first!! It works!!!
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v'coarse it wurks....

....worx....

Heck.... woarcs.... ah well....

....does the job... Wink
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bear, I'm really interested in that db... what db do you use for it? I use to work with mysql and perl script to recall what I need... one day I'll come to ireland and will bring with me some blank dvd Smile
I'm very very interested in that collection!
regards, Lorenzo
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorenzo!

I've already asked to Bear to have a copy of his collection, but he's not agree beacuse he had heavly collected his knowledge during a lot of year...it seems he's simply jelous of what he has Wink

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I would be jealous too if I had a great db like that Laughing ... how can I translate "tentar non nuoce!" ? maybe "Trying doesn't hurt!" or something similar...
regards, Lorenzo
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I wanted a bit of cover on what to do COMPUTER wise, rather than EQ, but I have learned and enjoyed this thread...I just thought I might get a better answer here instead of something I have written...

I am computer brain-dead....And don't understand an UPDATE as in a NEW version...Example: for one of the spyware programs, a new version was offered and it was not ever possible to really figure out..(for me) what happened, as I had two...(2)...I guess I simply downloaded another????

May I then assume the best path for example...to go from the 1.2.3 Audacity to the new 1.2.4, (which eliminates the bug that keeps crashing mine..) would be to COMPLETLY remove and discard the old, and just start with the new download, after the old is gone from your computer???

Also ,can you just discard all the installation icons and progs.after it is up and running????

I have been treating new versions like a microsoft update, I guess...???????

Thanks!!!!!!!! John (ellll) Shocked
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a point that should make consider buy a mac: every program consists only in one single file (application) or some more files but in the same folder, and a preferences file for that program stored in another part of the HD: all you have to do to update, remove or just reinstall is to put the files in the bin. With Windows there are tooooooo much places where an installation puts the files of an application and not only in the folders, but in a registry too! Rolling Eyes that's why even if you install and uninstall programs in the correct way your system get everytime more and more heavy: keep the windows registry clean is difficult and dangerous...
about your question: there are updates and new version: I guess Audacity is simply a new version, if you install the new version you probably have to remove the old one... don't ask me what can happens if you ask your install program to install the new version of Audacity on the old directory... maybe it will ask you if you wants to overwrite... maybe not, with windows it's always a big mess. You should keep attention every time to avoid problems.
regards, Lorenzo
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorenzo,!!!,

THANKS for the nice post...and a REMINDER...It is a question that will always come up...and it still worries me...

My son bought this computer...I discovered on line forums on music and here I am...Would I have bought Mac if I knew I was going to do music? Probably, as I had been told many times it was far better...

Now that I am here, I realize I am not technically sharp enough for it probably, to make much difference, and I havn't a long time to worry about it..but I still am thinking of a new computer in the next year or so...

So... I assume it still remains true for at least some purposes that Mac is BEST for music???? Others friends as well? What about it...?

(And I hope I won't get killed for a brief hi-jack of this thread.. Sad Sad )

Many Regards, all....John (ellll) Very Happy
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be afraid to buy a mac just because I've always had windows and even at work I use windows and not everything i do is music related and windows seems to be the most universal
album cover
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, My Friend,

Such is as I say...It was "what got bought",...and I used it at the public library before even that...They just automatically had windows, they told me.....

So as universal as it is, it's hard to think of another...But I have a friend that really likes Mac, and just sittin' there with him if we decide to check a price or something like that. I don't see much difference in the page, and really not a whole lot in how he operates...???

John
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using PC's for years, and just about know enough to get around. If I was starting now who knows, but I can do what I want to easily enough. I think there's plenty of room for both, and it boils down to personal preference. Bit like keyboards really Smile
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,,!!

Yeah, I agree...It was a time that many suggested the Mac for music studio, but I wasn't doing anything but school music then....It's changed...,

And now the windows works much better than it usd to for the kinds of tasks needed, according to most literature...So I don't know....But I do know I am unlikely to change... ----, I am so dumb about using it, I want to do what I am doing now until I can get it figured out!!!

Regards!!! John

Very Happy
aural

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: EQ Bass Section Reply with quote

Hello All

This question is for Laughing Bear but if anyone else can shed some light on this matter it would be much appreciated.

Am working on a little orchestral rock number.

Now my question is that I am wanting to
EQ power guitar chords, a bass riff, and deep cello sounds.

I dont want to lose the deep bass sound of all these above instruments, however I dont want it coming out muddy and/or cluttered and
still want space in the song for guitars, strings and lead singer.

Dynamic and driving and sparse but not muffled if you get my drift.
Any advice ?

because there
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done when I have various voices (instruments) that want to share the same range within a particular EQ range but specifically the mid range and bass range is this:

1. Analyze each track individually and find "where" each bassy part is. For example, a deep bass line might float around the 100hz range, whereas the guitar part is strong around the 300hz. The cello might have a larger range say from 150hz to 500 hz where it resides.

2. Once I have figured out where the "bass" is on each track, I tend to reduce the frequencies of the other instruments (with a narrow Q) while boosting ever so slightly the bass on my given instrument. Given the example in 1, I would boost the 100hz on my bass riff, and lower it around 200-500hz. Then on my guitar track I would cutoff everything below 250hz, and perhaps dip out from 400 too 500hz. With the cello I would create notches at 100 and 300hz respectively.

3. After the EQ edit, I would play them together and determine if I needed to add any of the notching back in, or reduce some of the boosting a bit. It is up to your ear at this point as to what and where you want to bring out various aspects.

4. If you are adding vocals, make sure you give all of these instruments a mid range cut to make room.

Remember less is more. Do not over EQ on any track, except to create a special effect. When I add or remove EQ I rarely play with more than a few decibels in any direction as I begin to rob the sounds of why I chose them to begin with.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
aural

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: EQ Bass Section Reply with quote

Thanks Jonsolo for your tips.

Am learning all the time will get back to you how it all goes.

The Bass section is sort of the character of this song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: