Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 EXPANDED - OR NOT?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: M3 EXPANDED - OR NOT? Reply with quote

Hi - Im considering a purchase of a M3. Ive noticed a few places selling the M3 cheaper than ones mentioned as the xpanded version. Ive found a 61 keys version for £200 less.

My question is: are there any hardware differences?

I understand you can download the xpanded upgrade for any M3 but have been unable to confirm any hardware differences.

Thanks - and sorry if its been asked a million times before and Iv missed it.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: M3 EXPANDED - OR NOT? Reply with quote

jimmy1 wrote:
Hi - Im considering a purchase of a M3. Ive noticed a few places selling the M3 cheaper than ones mentioned as the xpanded version. Ive found a 61 keys version for £200 less.

I'm amazed there are any non-expanded M3's still in stores.

jimmy1 wrote:
My question is: are there any hardware differences?

None.

jimmy1 wrote:
I understand you can download the xpanded upgrade for any M3

Yes, and it's easy to do-it-yourself. Cool
jimmy1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou - thats the news I wanted to hear.

M3 here I come Cool
jmexio

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That s not quite true.

I finally got my M3 88 on friday and it has bigger internal memory, so the expansions are not on a USB device that you have to keep plugged in all the time.

As I understand it there are right now some units that are not expanded (with an old OS), some with the expanded sticker and with an added bag with the new manual and a little USB stick included (with an old OS but upgrade materials), and units like mine, with no USB drive and an expanded internal SD card (with the new OS, mine came with 2.02).

Notice however that just a few weeks ago Jerry from Korg denied this sort of newer unit even existed in the US, so if you are here maybe you are out of luck on getting one with bigger internal memory. It all depends on current stock flushing and being replaced, I think.

In any case that is the only difference. My unit does not require a USB stick to load the new pianos/woodwinds/brass, older ones might need one.

Very minor, I think, but I was expecting otherwise and was pleasantly surprised!

Cheers
jimmy1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh - see this is what I was most interested in: a bigger internal memory as I see Korg sells an optional upgrade that is needed to load all of the extras sound banks (this is what I have read).
So does this extra memory come with the expanded straight out of the box - first answer is no. Second answer is a maybe?
Christian Baum

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mustn't mix up the SD card memory (which holds the OS and the sound banks/patches - not the samples!) and the sample RAM.

Sample RAM is needed for loading the new Xpanded Samples (Piano and Brass). Every unit on this planet comes with 64 MB RAM and can be expanded to 256 MB with a special RAM card (gotta buy it extra).

The SD card size should be irrelevant to everyday workflow: The M3 can address one OS and the patches and combis of 14 memory banks each (internal and user memory), containing 128 patches or combis each plus FX settings, Global settings and so on. This data needs hardly any space, so including a larger SD card doesn't really make any difference. It may just be due to the fact that smaller ones are not available any more or are not cheaper than the big ones.

Best regards,

Christian
jmexio

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, sample RAM is still 64 mb and the extra 256 must be bought. No extra locations for presets either.

There is a difference, anyway, Christian, albeit a minor one: I don't need an external drive plugged in to load the only expansion that fits into memory at one time, as they all reside in the internal card and are loaded from there. So that means I don't need to carry a thumb drive to play the pianos, for instance. No difference in flow whatsoever, just one less item to carry.

Now, if I wanted to load banks of combis/presets, or more samples, I would still need a USB thingy...

That clarifies anything?

If it doesn't just ignore. Smile Functionality is identical. Just wanted to post it here as a reference...

Cheers
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14607&page=3

Quote:
I can only answer for the US market - we have no product that has a larger SD card, and will not be making that available for the foreseeable future. So in the US we continue to give every user a FREE USB stick with all the data included on it. This is the only version of the M3 that we have for sale, and no complaining to a dealer can change that. The only stock we have and can ship to dealers is the original model with the extra kits included.

But based on that whole thread, other markets may have a larger SD card. If that's the case, I see no reason we just can't put a 1GB SD card in it and add all of the expansion samples.

How did you add them to the card. Just copy them directly to the root?

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).

Last edited by McHale on Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmexio

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, McHale, that is just not true.

You may not believe me, however, and that's also fine.

I read what Jerry said, and that is why I was surprised to learn otherwise. My type of unit is probably not yet available in the US, and Jerry speaks only of the US.

I could take a picture of the M3 loading the piano without a drive, or of the additional *single page* (besides the xpanded manual) that explicitly says, and I quote:
Quote:

Added functionality with M3 XPANDED

The EX-USB-PCM01/01 and 03 multisamples have been added to internal memory, allowing them to be loaded from the M3 XPANDED into RAM memory without using a USB device.

By default, EX-USB-PCM03 will be loaded automatically when the power is turned on.

but I'd rather not waste the time to do it just to prove that I am not lying.

If at least two people want either of those pics, post here.

Regarding your questions, you can see those answers on the VERY SAME POST that you quoted (I am from Argentina, and the card is 1 gig, listed 971MB on Win XP, the unit came with 2.02 preinstalled and no USB drive of any kind).

Cheers.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read that entire thread and edited my post as you posted.

All I know is I *JUST* got my M3 a few days ago and it's the same as all of the rest.

So it looks like I just need to get a 1GB SD card, copy the contents from the other one and move the expansions to it. How did you put the expansion libraries on it?

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
r12

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you still have to load the expansions into ram, don't you ?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least you don't have to worry about losing/breaking/forgetting the USB stick!

I'll take that tradeoff.
jmexio

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
How did you put the expansion libraries on it?

Well, I didn't do anything, it just came like this. Very Happy

When I entered USB storage mode (SEQ+EXIT when turning on) to check what was going on, the extensions where already in place. I did copy the 04 to the root, some days ago, and it works as expected (the expansion shows with the others).

The card has over 600 MB free, so I tried to copy a soundfont and a pcg file, but they are nowhere to be found under normal operation (ie they do not show up on the load page). THAT would have been nice...

So right now I can only hope that Korg relases some more expansions to put that internal SD to good use, as it seems it's the only thing it can load.

r12 wrote:
but you still have to load the expansions into ram, don't you ?

Yes, so I still need the 256 expansion to load everything, or to have a sensible amount of memory to sample after loading the pianos.

McHale wrote:
at least you don't have to worry about losing/breaking/forgetting the USB stick!

Exactly, that is the ONLY advantage (I like it, but, as I said, it is fairly minor, all things considered).

Cheers!

PS: By the way, I uploaded 3 pictures to http://www.tangocreativo.com.ar/m3/
1st one, of the extra page, 2nd of the screen when loading (notice nothing sticking out the back), 3rd of the back with distorted but readable screen (because of the angle)

PS2: I still prefer a free portable recorder with my purchase, like you guys over the US have, to a stupid SD upgrade... Very Happy
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, if you have 600 MB free, that means your card is using less than 512mb. I believe the M3 comes standard with 512 so ANYONE should technically be able to copy the expansions to the root.

Wonder why they didn't just do this?!

Looks like I have something to do when I get home. When you copied #4 to the root, the other three were already there in the root?

-Mc
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the key picture in my book.

Time to hack!

-Mc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: