Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KingKorg is legit!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want it?
Badly
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Will wait and see, but it is on the top of my list
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Neutral, let me get back to you on it
39%
 39%  [ 25 ]
Not looking good
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Seriously?? What were they thinking??
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 64

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No aftertouch. Fvck!

Only 2 LFOs and 2 envelopes. This is definitely scarce.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah that's a great comment, Cello!

Sharp is right, you would think it would be the 'king of all Korgs' with that name. But with scarce specs like those... aye
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it´s photoshoped. At least it is a raytrace rendering. Maybe sharp made it? Wink
The knob shadows look suspicious.

But that it was available from Korg Germany would mean it´s server had been hacked and html inserted. Or It could have been an sql injection. Hmm...

Having a Kronos/M3/Ultranova/KLC/etc. I would not buy it anyway.
And this design would cost at least 2000,- with all the knobs and displays.
Looks like a Clavia design. Is there a market for such a product?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not shop'd.

I'm thinking it won't cost much more than 1k€. No aftertouch... obviously a budget board.
gjvti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
It is not shop'd.

I'm thinking it won't cost much more than 1k€. No aftertouch... obviously a budget board.

Why call budget board a 'King'?
Knobs cost. LCDs too. So I guess it won't be cheep especially if it is hybrid - analog/virtual analog. If it is not cheep, then to justify the 'King' I would expect at least aftertouch if not poly aftertouch/or something more innovative like capacitive sensor keys or something like that. Direct performance controls is nice though. Pretty impressive, but not that much to make buzz in my wallet right now. Wink
johnxyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is real, not sure of the Bakerlite / 60s toaster look - but bet it sounds great.

However… External power supply. Thats unforgivable, puts it in the 'toy' category.

I would want to use it live, and because of that wouldn't buy it.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it...

...but I'll wait to see what sort of modelling and specs the oscs are (no mention of Sync, Ring Mod etc).

Obviously the PCM and DWGS will be samples, but I sincerely hope the the Analog waves are not (I've already ditched the Gaia and passed on the Venom as the osc aliasing is truly terrible on both).

The name I can live with, it's not important.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
It is not shop'd.

Knobs cost. LCDs too. So I guess it won't be cheep especially if it is hybrid - analog/virtual analog.

LCDs are cheap today. They're not calling it King Korg because it's a budget board, but because it's a pun to "King Kong" I presume, and is very likely pointing at the sound quality coming out of the board.

The only thing analog in there is the valve, nothing else. No analog filters in here. So this is nothing really expensive.

Seeing that they didn't include aftertouch and they included wallwart, all screams "budget board" to me.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
gjvti wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
It is not shop'd.

Knobs cost. LCDs too. So I guess it won't be cheep especially if it is hybrid - analog/virtual analog.

The only thing analog in there is the valve, nothing else. No analog filters in here. So this is nothing really expensive.

Seeing that they didn't include aftertouch and they included wallwart, all screams "budget board" to me.

+1 on that - not that there's anything wrong with a budget board. It seems to be the way these days - the new Roland V-Combo is budget and so too is this Korg. Low costs, high volume means profit to keep supporting and developing.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.
javaj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought someone hacked their site and put this up. I think the level it would take to fake this is just not worth doing. Not too long until we know (and hear) the truth.
keego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name is just a play on words, hence the picture of the Empire Stete Building, King Kong - King Korg. At the end of the day its what's under the hood that counts.

You may drive a BMW but when the snow and ice hits you're going nowhere Twisted Evil

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Seems a strange choice of name if true - certainly am not liking it...

Can you imagine if there are issues with it or fails on stage at some point, someone is going to write 'fu' in front of the name!! Laughing

Now that is funny! Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Z1 the Lionheart and Korg Radias the Conquerer are massing their armies to defeat KingKorg, the bastard imposter. Apparently, KingKorg was dropped on his head when he was born, which is why everything is laid out backwards, with effects on the left and OSCs and envelopes on the right. KingKorg is what you get when you ignore 50 years of synth history and user feedback.

But at least now I know where Korg is headed, which is not in the direction I care about. I've been gradually moving to Massive, FM8, and softsynths of various kinds. Native Instruments has been making more interesting synth models than Korg has for years. Examples are Reaktor Prism, Spark, Skanner XT, and Razor. Frankly, I can get more out of the free Synth1 with average PC hardware than what KingKorg promises. I can use my Z1 or TritonExtreme as nice midi controllers with aftertouch to control my softsynths. Since when did we decide that aftertouch wasn't important? Nobody asked me. I didn't get to vote. There's zero chance I'm going to buy any synth over $500 that doesn't have aftertouch. All the Novation synths in this range have aftertouch, Ultranova and my x-station. The Synthstation is another fine midi controller for softsynths, having fully assignable knobs for the synth structure. I'm sure someone will buy the KingKorg. Not me. Not anyone I know. Not anyone I talk to. Maybe the King of Fools, or King of Pain.

Last edited by xmlguy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the specs are impressive.

3 oscillators. This would crap on the Radias, for example, as the Radias has just one fully fledged oscillator and a crippled second oscillator. (The availability of the restricted sub osc on the Radias can't really be called an independent oscillator, and it also leeches further polyphony if activated.) On the other hand, you can always stack up to 4 timbres on the Radias for additional oscillators (at the extreme expense of polyphony), although the King Korg can stack 2 timbres.

24 voices. At 3 oscillators per voice (unless there's any "upto" 24-voices caveats), that would be pretty damn good!

127 types of oscillators. 64 of which are 'analogue' & noise waveforms, which can only be good. Sounds like the analogue waves go far beyond the standard four Saw/Pulse/Sin/Tri waveforms plus noise. I'm extremely intrigued as to what the rest of those particular waveforms are.

18 filter types, including MS-20 modelling filter and self-oscillation. 7 of which are Lowpass, 5 Highpass, and 6 Bandpass.

Along with the varied 3 oscillators per voice, duo-timbrality and 24 voices (imagine all those oscillators stacked in unison!), I have a distinct feeling it will be the filters and analog-esque grunt that may give the King its namesake. This sounds like far more than just standard 2-4 pole filter variations. An antidote to the surgical cleanliness of the Radias.

2 LFOs and 2 EGs are a bit measly, though.

All in all, can't wait to hear it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: