Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it's nearly 2015 - so am I over Korg?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
To be honest, the best NEW thing I've heard on an arranger in quite some while is Yamaha's T5 Ensemble Mode. A simple, yet practical way to voice ensembles in realtime, and the end results are spectacular!

Totally agree - I could really use this for sequencing etc too - each part is assigned to a separate MIDI channel.

Sadly, this is the only T5 feature that I would love on my PA3X but it isn't worth the extra $2,000 - I'm still astounded at the price of this thing!!! - I could buy a PA3X and Kronos together for the cost of a T5!!!

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Dikikeys wrote:
To be honest, the best NEW thing I've heard on an arranger in quite some while is Yamaha's T5 Ensemble Mode. A simple, yet practical way to voice ensembles in realtime, and the end results are spectacular!

Totally agree - I could really use this for sequencing etc too - each part is assigned to a separate MIDI channel.

Sadly, this is the only T5 feature that I would love on my PA3X but it isn't worth the extra $2,000 - I'm still astounded at the price of this thing!!! - I could buy a PA3X and Kronos together for the cost of a T5!!!

Pete Very Happy

It works miracles, having your T5 connected to your computer and play 4 pad sounds over it on omnisphere... So incredible synthpads ensemble..

And i see no reason not to add something akin to it to Pa4x. Because its midi based, and couls easilly be added to the PA sound engine free to program for users with any sounds they would like..

Keep in.mind however that just cramming 4 instruments in an ensemble does not work, they need to be chosen carefully, some things i created just didnt work out well

And there is another thing where T5 outshines Korg, ( in my opinion) and thats with accoustical non key instruments.... Like Brass, Guitar, winds etc etc... As soon as they are SA2 sounds they are exceptionally.... For those that dont know, SA2 combines sample playing with the technollogies from the VL1 synths (same as the Roland super natural sounds) and its just one step beyound the Korg DNC technollogy, which is comparable to the SA1 voices of Yamaha.

Korg currently does not have a comparable technollogy, not in Pa3 x and not in Kronos. So i would be very pleasantly surprised if they made the pa4 x with a comparable technollogy...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... I just wish Yamaha would do something about their old-hat OS and make it a performance-friendly keyboard plus aim it (or a version of it) to the professional market.... it is so frustrating to play live or record with.

The main reasons I will not consider the Tyros 5 are:-
1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Unpleasant OS (a touch screen would improve that instantly)
5. Unacceptable (unusable IMHO) vocal harmoniser
6. Quality of many style VARs (but intros/endings are great!!)
7. Limitations in style element control (e.g. FILLs)
8. Missing fundamental control-surface controls (e.g. Bass Inversion, Tempo Lock....)
9. AI fingering mode doesn't work as per Korg's "Fingered 1" (and also works on all Rolands and Audya) this hasn't worked for many generations of PSR's and all Tyros's so far - this is a personal requirement for me!!

But seriously, who can afford this thing?

Pete Very Happy
laurance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You criticize all the time the price of tyros 5

I can assure you that if you have a local dealer like me, you can have the Tyros 5 at the same price as the Pa3x76

I got mine with 1 GB of RAM and two pack premium promotional codes (which brings the Tyros 5 much lesser cost than Pa3x76)

Regards.
Veren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laurance

Where are you located as the price difference in SA is as per that portrayed by Pete.

But interesting if is as you say.

Thanx
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurance wrote:

I can assure you that if you have a local dealer like me, you can have the Tyros 5 at the same price as the Pa3x76

I got mine with 1 GB of RAM and two pack premium promotional codes (which brings the Tyros 5 much lesser cost than Pa3x76)

Regards.
i said that befor in this topic, currently in Holland i can get a T5 including the expansion memmory and 2 expansion pack for €3700..(76)

A pa3x comes in at €3300 ..thats pretty much the same pricerange... And if i want the musikant version its even more expensive like €3600 ...

on top of that, they all have the T5 in stock, while for a Pa3x you sometimes need to wayt weeks...

And while i definately agree with Karmathenever that the T5 should have had a big touchscreen, i disagree with himabout the OS being unfriendly... It works quite well, as long as you dont want to edit and finetune things...
laurance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veren: I live in France.

Bachus: I got mine at the same price as the Pa3x (3300€)

but if you add the price of the 1Gb and the free download packs, it become even cheeper.

Regards.
Veren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laurence

As I stated here in South Africa there is a massive difference.

I could be wrong but from my interactions here, I don't think that there are many tyros users. Here R60000 to R95000 is a sh_t load of money.

But then again it seems that all the distributors insist on no less than 100% profit. By the time the end user pays, you end up paying much more than what the USD price on the internet is. Yes I understand customs etc as im in shipping but divide the above by average of 11 (for usd) and you'd know what im talking about.

thanx
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: it's nearly 2015 - so am I over Korg? Reply with quote

Hello,
looking behind the secrets of Yamahas Ensemble-Voices, you can see it is a well known Harmony-Function, but with 24 key-assign types an presets ready for use without to spend time for settings.
Yamaha use four Voices (Upper1-3 and Lower) for categories Brass, Woodwind, Chor and others with acces to 92 SA-sounds. If you select a preset all four parts are activ. Following parameters are selectable: Assign/Harmony (with key-assign for prior solo-voices), Volume/Pan, Tune/Effekt, Humanize (for indiv. or random pitch and timing of solovoices).

The decision how to use Ensemble-voices depends on chord-recognition, if you play staccato or legato, if you play chords or arpeggios etc. If you select "all parts on retrigger" all parts acts as solovoices, whereas you select "voice incremental" there only one instrument is soloing and you can select "from lowest" or "from highest" for solovoices or non-solo-voices.

Maybe ancient ensemble of Korg is not the same - particulary you have no presets in categories Brass, Woodwind, Chor and Others - but try to use voices that also use oszilator-features (legato, retrigger etc) with your ensemble, try to divide them in solo and chordvoice, select Mono-L, Mono-R and all features you can get with track-assign, ensemble, pan.

Then evaluate how much new "Ensemble Voices" takes off of known technologies and if it could not be possible to improve its own ensemble-voices with existing features. Why not be done years ago - there's also a LOT of hidden potential in even that feature forgotten to be used.

Styles - you can not control them with simple velocity-control of chord recorgnition - but you can do it with footcontrollers.
And dont forget assignable functions like muting each style-track separately, solo-select-track, Baß&Lower-backing, Chord-latch, NoChord in Expert-Mode etc.

The difference with technologies which will be offered as a novelty is much lower, the more one uses the existing, well-known features of Korg - and the end results maybe not be as spectacular as first impressions did!

[quote="Dikikeys"] I guarantee, were Korg to find a way to protect styles from being shared, we would see a huge explosion in great third party styles. /quote]

Discussions on the meaning of copyrights be performed controversial and there are no signs of such forecasts. So it is not guaranteed, we would see a huge explosion in great third party styles, if Korg will find a way to protect styles from being shared - a huge explosion in great third party styles is not expectable, if only few are willing to spend money again for additional software, you can not use in your next keyboard.

Found: forum.yamaha-europe.com/showthread.php?41242-Neue-Yamaha-Styles-nicht-wirklich (translated): However, it is in fact, as life in real business life, primarily about money. Probably not worth the effort to produce good material for the handful of players.
Most of Styles you can buy, also known as third-party, are not much better - so I still play a lot with old Styles from "Styles & music". They were still really ok.

Activity is necessary in development of keyboards - so activities of Yamaha and Roland are welcome, but what is the matter with Korg: few are interested in equipment with good but ancient technologies in new design - at least for newcomer they SHOULD TRY TO HOLD THE LEVEL OF FUNCTIONS THAT ALREADY WHERE PRESENT - missing features as noticed with Pa3xLe/300/600/900 are no good idea, far away from steps forward in development.

karmathanever wrote:
- this is my personal review (feedback) and not intended to start a "manufacturer war" topic.

This is my personal criticism and also not intended for a "manufacturer war" topic - maybe ideas for making updates but without to forget existing goodies.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurance wrote:

Correct because I have no choice - it's street price is $6,400-$6,500!!!
It should be priced around $4,500 - even that makes it a little too much for what it is.
Its RRP here is $8,000 - Yamaha are mental - I am not retired with a fat superannuation to call on.

I can't change this so I have no option but to forget it. Because of its price, it is not a viable option.
And whilst on the subject of price, the T5 "audio style packs" are $50 each and you can only load one at a time….

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurance wrote:

it is to criticize because a producer preparing material to build a consumer-device with the same electronic components inside an arrangerkeyboard may sell it for a wholesale price of maybe EURO 500,- plus adding EURO 500,-. Add again amounts for development of hardware and software and also costs for selling and profit - you get honest a price of maximum EURO 2000,-.

but as long as enthusiasts for consumer-electronic pay prices three times as appropriate so that devices will be sold so expensive - and pr-managing seems to be better than development-departments.

maybe one year later you buy an T5 for less than EURO 2000 - rebuild a bit smaller and called PSR-S960 or similar - but as smaller model it again is too expensive.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
laurance wrote:

It should be priced around $4,500 - even that makes it a little too much for what it is.
Its RRP here is $8,000 - Yamaha are mental - I am not retired with a fat superannuation to call on.

I can't change this so I have no option but to forget it. Because of its price, it is not a viable option.
And whilst on the subject of price, the T5 "audio style packs" are $50 each and you can only load one at a time….

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Youre twisting information here..... You can only load 1 if you dont have any flash memmory placed... But since that nowerdays comes with the instrument for free....the problem of only loading 1 audio style is non excistant

You can even play the audio styles from a USB stick, withouth loading them intoo memmory.

Audio styles are 13 MB in size and a pack contains between 7 and 11 audio styles..

Its not Yamahas fault that your local dealers are ripping off yamaha customers.. Overhere in Europe prices obviously normalised...
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sieben... you only have to look back far enough to the days when extra styles were on hardware cards, or to the days before the Internet and rampant file sharing to see how things USED to be. There were several style 'houses' that made excellent third party styles, and the manufacturers themselves made a LOT more styles in between arranger models, because they got PAID!

This isn't anything magical. It is simple economics. Talented people want to get paid for their work, they don't want to have it given away for free. Currently, the only avenue for their work is making the ROM styles for arranger manufacturers... The styles are paid for by a portion of the arranger's cost. But once that's done, where do they get money in the 2-3 years or more until a new arranger comes out? Not from you guys... I can see from your post you are looking for some kind of excuse to justify stealing it (oops, I meant 'sharing' it! Twisted Evil ), but the truth is, there isn't one. Just like any other software, you are buying the right to USE a style, not the right to share it...

Put yourself in the shoes of someone that CAN make great styles, you'll see it the way it actually is. Rolling Eyes
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
laurance wrote:

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Youre twisting information here..... You can only load 1 if you dont have any flash memmory placed... But since that nowerdays comes with the instrument for free....the problem of only loading 1 audio style is non excistant

You can even play the audio styles from a USB stick, withouth loading them intoo memmory.

Audio styles are 13 MB in size and a pack contains between 7 and 11 audio styles..

Its not Yamahas fault that your local dealers are ripping off yamaha customers.. Overhere in Europe prices obviously normalised...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Its not Yamahas fault that your local dealers are ripping off yamaha customers..

It's Yamaha, not the local dealers….they set the RRP $8,000, not the dealers !!!!!!!
Dealers then discount it to street price the best they can.

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: