Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 New Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodney

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: new soundpack? Reply with quote

violet wrote:
has anyone else tried the sound pack #1 released for the sv-1 a few days ago? this is really my first electric piano so i am a little bit lost on how this all works Embarassed are the new sounds meant to replace the factory presets, or is it something that you can pick and choose sounds that you like from?

I've never had a piano that works like this before either. What I'd do is:

Make a backup of your current sounds and favorites (if you've done anything to change them from the factory presets). You do this using the "backups" feature of the SV-1 editor.

Load the new piano sounds on. It'll replace all of the sounds with the new ones.

When you want your old sounds back, load in THAT preference file (or the factory presets file).

If you want some of the old sounds and some of the new sounds, I have no idea what you do. I expect you can "recreate" your favorite old sounds from scratch using the editor, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a little odd that you don't seem to be able to load and save a single sound into a single spot, but I don't really see a way to do that. If I have time to mess about with it, I'll post back.
violet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: new soundpack? Reply with quote

Rodney wrote:

If you want some of the old sounds and some of the new sounds, I have no idea what you do. I expect you can "recreate" your favorite old sounds from scratch using the editor, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a little odd that you don't seem to be able to load and save a single sound into a single spot, but I don't really see a way to do that. If I have time to mess about with it, I'll post back.

thanks rodney! i was looking at the user guide for the sv-1 editor app, and it says that you can mix two sets by creating a "new" backup set, and then using the copy/paste function to drop in the sounds that you want. i guess that's what i'll end up doing eventually, because soundpack #1 seems like it has only one "plain" grand piano sound, with the rest being layered with choir/strings that. though.. i guess if i disable the 2nd layer then i should have the other grand piano sound? maybe this is asking for too much, but to have accompanying demo clips set up properly with the soundpacks would be nice Smile anyway, im off to go poke around on the keyboard again..
craigalan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Volume Difference Between Sounds Reply with quote

First off, although there are some kinks yet to be worked out, this is a fantastic piece of gear. Just played first gig with it last night and people were jazzed about the rhodes sounds. My question: The rhodes sound is WAY louder than the other sounds, so I had to manually turn the volume up and down each time I switched sounds. All settings (touch...etc.) are equal on the face of the unit. Any ideas, suggestions???? Thank you all.

P.S. I used to lug a real rhodes around with me, and honestly this sounds just as good. IMHO, it also beats the Nord. Great job on that KORG.
Rodney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Volume Difference Between Sounds Reply with quote

craigalan wrote:
First off, although there are some kinks yet to be worked out, this is a fantastic piece of gear. Just played first gig with it last night and people were jazzed about the rhodes sounds. My question: The rhodes sound is WAY louder than the other sounds, so I had to manually turn the volume up and down each time I switched sounds. All settings (touch...etc.) are equal on the face of the unit. Any ideas, suggestions???? Thank you all.

P.S. I used to lug a real rhodes around with me, and honestly this sounds just as good. IMHO, it also beats the Nord. Great job on that KORG.

I haven't noticed that on mine. It may be the "Drive" setting on the amp simulator -- if you turn up Drive, the volume gets louder. Other sounds may not be set the same.

I agree that it would be better if the volume of each individual sound could be controlled to balance them across sounds. Note that you can tailor the sounds (and save them permanently) using the SV-1 Editor software, and perhaps you could lower the default Drive setting there, or do something with the "limiter" to reduce the sound of the rhodes?
craigalan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Volume Difference Between Sounds Reply with quote

Yes, I will have to dive into the editing software. But otherwise, on yours, can you switch between all the sounds and get an equal volume? For example, if you needed to switch between patches during a single song...
vanhaabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting SV1 soon and doing my pre-purchase research. This is from manual: "Touch sensitivity is memorized when saving a favorite sound. Also, it is memorized by each preset or favorite sound you can edit with the SV-1 Editor, after you choose the Write Current Preset command." Page 30 – Advanced settings.

So, each preset is saved with its own velocity curve. If you change them in the fly you may get different volumes for each sound.

Cheers,
Ed
Bronks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new soundpack? Reply with quote

violet wrote:

thanks rodney! i was looking at the user guide for the sv-1 editor app, and it says that you can mix two sets by creating a "new" backup set, and then using the copy/paste function to drop in the sounds that you want. i guess that's what i'll end up doing eventually, because soundpack #1 seems like it has only one "plain" grand piano sound, with the rest being layered with choir/strings that. though.. i guess if i disable the 2nd layer then i should have the other grand piano sound? maybe this is asking for too much, but to have accompanying demo clips set up properly with the soundpacks would be nice Smile anyway, im off to go poke around on the keyboard again..

Hi, just joined the forum...

I loaded new sound pack last week, and I can say that copy paste sure is the thing to do. Actually, for me there was 5 sounds in that new pack, which I found useful for now. I took back ups for old settings and just replaced five old presets.
adan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be missing something regarding the new soundpack. I download it, click on the icon, and the editor opens up. But that's it. I can't see the new sounds or how to access them. Are there any instructions for how to use the soundpack? Other than that, I can get the editor to work just fine.

Very glad Korg found a solution to the button bump. I can now take these silly metal strips off my SV-1 (though I'm sort of emotionally attached to them now . . . they got me through a dozen or so gigs without a mishap).

Adan
Bronks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adan wrote:
I seem to be missing something regarding the new soundpack. I download it, click on the icon, and the editor opens up. But that's it. I can't see the new sounds or how to access them. Are there any instructions for how to use the soundpack? Other than that, I can get the editor to work just fine.

Very glad Korg found a solution to the button bump. I can now take these silly metal strips off my SV-1 (though I'm sort of emotionally attached to them now . . . they got me through a dozen or so gigs without a mishap).

Adan

I'm sorry I have not editor in front of me for now, but as I remember, you have to go to "backup category", choose "New" and open that sound pack file where you have saved in your computer. Then you can instantly hear those new sounds by pushin "preview".

Make sure you just backup your original settings first...

When you decide to replace some of the old sounds, just copy them one by one from new sound pack and paste them on old.

You'll not loose old ones for good, when you have made backups.

Sorry about lanquage...

I will report back when I'm home, if I made some misstakes...
craigalan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adan,

Where do you see a fix for the "button bump" issue? Was having the same problem and had to attach a small hard back felt flap that laid over the preset buttons. I too am attached to my little macgyver invention, however a fix was most needed. Couldn't find any info on the korg site though.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button bump issue is just fixed in the new OS. We made all the buttons less sensitive to touch, so they require slightly more contact time to engage. So there's no parameter to use etc. It just responds different now, and that is working well to avoid the bumps.

I personally like to open the Back-up file and use the Preview function try out individual sounds. Others choose to load the whole file once to play through them all, marking which ones they like. Then reload back your standard or edited Back-up, and then Copy/Paste the new sounds you like into it.

When you Preview a Sound you can also write it into the current location using the Write Current Preset command on the screen. Read about it on Page 19 of the Editor Manual.

Reading pages 57-59 of that manual will also help you to better understand this whole process.

Regards,

Jerry
Kapone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if it would be possible to create (maybe in the future OS-versions) the option of SV1 sending midi-information just in the Local Off mode? I think it would be a very useful function when you're sometimes using some external device as a voice source.
Captain_Keys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Because I sold my PA1X a few years ago, it's been a while since my last visit to this messageboard.
A few weeks someone had to cover for me in my jazz combo cause I had a family party. He had - according to my fellow musicians - a very cool, vintage type keyboard, wich was brand new. I play on a Yamaha CP300
Of course I had to look it up, discovered it was a Korg SV1, and immediately went on a mission to get this keyboard. Since I had some things to sell too I was not in a hurry.
But things went a little faster then I planned cause last week my local music store did a stunt on one of its models of the SV1. This is a stunt where the price of an object lowers every day, untill someone buys it. I bought it for 1300 euro, new in the box. So, now I am proud to have a Korg again. (And yes, selling my PA1Xpro was the biggest mistake ever)

I played it a lot the last week, and I really like this board. I had a gig on saturday and the sound of that rhodes is killin'. Even through a PA.
I read some of the issues in this thread, but so far nothing bothered me while playing, and I didn't encounter the issues mentioned.

I have one question though: I try to be very prepared for failing gear. I always have spare fuses for everything I carry around. Also cables, I even have a welding bolt in case some minor connection failure might occur.
So the fact that the manual states that the valve can only be replaced by a
Korg service center bothers me a bit.
I have two leslies and two hammonds, and never had any problems replacing valves, so I don't really see the problem here.
Has anyone any experience replacing the valve? How long do they last anyway?
I really would feel safer if I could have a spare tube in my gearbox knowing I would be able to fix a failing tube during a gig.

Tnx,

Edwin
vanhaabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Keys wrote:
Hi,

Because I sold my PA1X a few years ago, it's been a while since my last visit to this messageboard.
A few weeks someone had to cover for me in my jazz combo cause I had a family party. He had - according to my fellow musicians - a very cool, vintage type keyboard, wich was brand new. I play on a Yamaha CP300
Of course I had to look it up, discovered it was a Korg SV1, and immediately went on a mission to get this keyboard. Since I had some things to sell too I was not in a hurry.
But things went a little faster then I planned cause last week my local music store did a stunt on one of its models of the SV1. This is a stunt where the price of an object lowers every day, untill someone buys it. I bought it for 1300 euro, new in the box. So, now I am proud to have a Korg again. (And yes, selling my PA1Xpro was the biggest mistake ever)

I played it a lot the last week, and I really like this board. I had a gig on saturday and the sound of that rhodes is killin'. Even through a PA.
I read some of the issues in this thread, but so far nothing bothered me while playing, and I didn't encounter the issues mentioned.

I have one question though: I try to be very prepared for failing gear. I always have spare fuses for everything I carry around. Also cables, I even have a welding bolt in case some minor connection failure might occur.
So the fact that the manual states that the valve can only be replaced by a
Korg service center bothers me a bit.
I have two leslies and two hammonds, and never had any problems replacing valves, so I don't really see the problem here.
Has anyone any experience replacing the valve? How long do they last anyway?
I really would feel safer if I could have a spare tube in my gearbox knowing I would be able to fix a failing tube during a gig.

Tnx,

Edwin

Valve gets active when you have you amp on, so worst case scenario is that SV1 will still work, but you won't be able to use amp section. They can last for few years, but they wear down. You are safe ...

Cheers,
Ed
Eammon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the SV-1 and first need to say I truly love this damn thing.
I haven't had any of the issues mentioned in this forum - and the only thing that bums me out is that the tube one day will have to be replaced. Small price to pay. Can't wait to start gigging w/ it.

My only problem is, I can't find a suitable case for it.
First was too thin. Second (Gator 76-Key Deep) wouldn't fit in my car (Corolla) - is there anything out there normal-sized that fits the 73-key model?

E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: