Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New: Groove Synth/ Arranger rack - Musikmesse launch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
Bachus wrote:
I am wondering, Why this sudden release of this information just before NAMM?

DO you have inside information that the new Kronos could run VST's and also comes in a rackform?

Or is there maybe another company (Like NI) comming with a hardware based VSTi sollution?

I don't know James and Rob, but if i was a reseller then i would not want people to sign up for preorder without having atleast some visuals/audio available. Some Youtube vids might help a lot here if you want to convince people to order early

I have no insider information. Lionstracs were ready to launch details of the Groove X-R before Korg launched details of the Kronos. Indeed the thread showing development of the "Ebony rack" as it was called in the past, was started by Sharp and Domenico mid way through last year. My more recent posts in this thread are an update, not a new launch.

There are a huge number of Youtube videos of the Groove and Mediastation workstations and all the functionality on them. James Tubritt and Tastenpoint produced many of those videos. The Groove-XR implements all those sounds and all that functionality in a box. Same OS, same sounds, plus additional resources created specially for the Groove X-R by Irish Acts.

There are many new MIDI control features in OS5 which permit external controllers such as the AKAI MPC32 to emulate all functions on a Mediastation or Groove keyboard.

To make it work on the much smaller screen, the whole graphical UI needs to be revised....
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be the perfect tool to add in addition to a Kronos... (In combination with a removable front plate and a big touch screen) It adds so much to the game that other DAWs don't.

I could run my Ableton on it and my VST's ... And even use my old Yamaha arranger styles converted to Q-ranger.. It adds everything to Kronos someone could possibly want (except the extra keys) at a really nice price.

But then now i am wondering if the KRONOS master keyboard functions allow the reprogramming of all their keys so i could choose to operate this Groove rack directly from the Kronos.... Because you need a lot of buttons readilly available to opperate an Arranger or Ableton efficiently...
LIONSTRACS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

To make it work on the much smaller screen, the whole graphical UI needs to be revised....[/quote]

wrong here.
Is more simple than you can believe.
The LIONSTRACS OS is full working without ANY display connected, internal or external.
The all features can be full recalled by the groove front pannels keys/sliders, ecnooders..
A new simple Midi remapper tool will accept and forward the new messages from the Rack front pannel and also for any external Midi/USB controller.

On the Touch screen display 240x64, 7 backlight colors, wil be create a simple Mask, where the all text infos displayed on the 8.4" display are also forwarded to the 240x64 display.
Example: when you send one new sound program change, from the Front pannel or any external midi/USB device, the system written on the Big display and the 240x64 display, the text name and the all related information/features.

So...when you press for example ASIO HOST 8 on the Groove keyboard or on the Groove Rack, the system load automatically the asio host and the Sound Pacth GUI wil send the all sounds names on big display and on small display.
Really a simple system remapper.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIONSTRACS wrote:

To make it work on the much smaller screen, the whole graphical UI needs to be revised....[/quote]

wrong here.
Is more simple than you can believe.
The LIONSTRACS OS is full working without ANY display connected, internal or external.
The all features can be full recalled by the groove front pannels keys/sliders, ecnooders..
A new simple Midi remapper tool will accept and forward the new messages from the Rack front pannel and also for any external Midi/USB controller.

On the Touch screen display 240x64, 7 backlight colors, wil be create a simple Mask, where the all text infos displayed on the 8.4" display are also forwarded to the 240x64 display.
Example: when you send one new sound program change, from the Front pannel or any external midi/USB device, the system written on the Big display and the 240x64 display, the text name and the all related information/features.

So...when you press for example ASIO HOST 8 on the Groove keyboard or on the Groove Rack, the system load automatically the asio host and the Sound Pacth GUI wil send the all sounds names on big display and on small display.
Really a simple system remapper.[/quote]

Thanks for explaining Dom...

But wouldn't it be better to controll everything from a Huge 23 or 24" full HD touch screen, HP sells one for under 400 Dollar. Its even multi touch...

How is the scalabillity of the GUI?

I'd love to see this on a big touch screen, with Q-ranger/host/controlls at the bottom ans sound selection cintrolls to both sides of that screen (like in the current Lionstracs GUI)... Ans in the middle of the screen many options ranging from The current options to Karaoke options to options to directly controll my sounds to options to controll my mixer and even an option to read sheet music from PDF...

Those big screens would make the Groove beast come even more alive...

There might be just not enough buttons on the Groove box to make everyone happy...
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
But wouldn't it be better to controll everything from a Huge 23 or 24" full HD touch screen, HP sells one for under 400 Dollar. Its even multi touch...

How is the scalabillity of the GUI?

I'd love to see this on a big touch screen, with Q-ranger/host/controlls at the bottom ans sound selection cintrolls to both sides of that screen (like in the current Lionstracs GUI)... Ans in the middle of the screen many options ranging from The current options to Karaoke options to options to directly controll my sounds to options to controll my mixer and even an option to read sheet music from PDF...

Those big screens would make the Groove beast come even more alive...

There might be just not enough buttons on the Groove box to make everyone happy...

Yes, the rear panel connectors of the Groove X-R include USB and xVGA for connection to a large external touch screen, 17 inch, 19 inch or whatever size you want. The full Lionstracs and Linux/Ubuntu GUI is displayed in full screen. Multiple virtual desktops etc. Just like the display on the Groove keyboard workstations.

We are supplying pre-made templates to map all the Groove workstation keys onto an AKAI MPC32 external MIDI control surface. There is a graphical MIDI control/ pad mapper with which you can configure any external MIDI controller to operate any of the functions on the Groove X-R that were implemented in buttons or knobs on the Groove keyboard workstations.
LIONSTRACS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus
Here just a shoot take from the Groove Rack with one external 22" display.
Here I have opened some applications, the LIONSTRACS OS remain always on TOP-LEFT side, 800X600 and you can recall the all features:

you can see that I have open the B4 II ASIO Host, VLC Video player, qranger with Audio-Midi tracks and the Jack connection Kit.
Here the full size of the 22":
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/2010/OS5/multiappsOS5.jpeg

On the Nvidia tool you can setup the all desidered monitors and resolution:
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/2010/OS5/display22OS5.jpeg

On OS 5 we have now 16 virtual desktops, where you can run up and fill the desktops with the all application that you like, Just Jack connent and play.
cheers
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I must agree.

I had an external display running fine on the MS. (there is a text tutorial on how to do it at Lionstracs Forums)

But on the XR this will be such a simple thing to do!!! It is going to be a great feature, and for guys like me who like to pre-program shows, and tweak patches and setups this is going to be brilliant.

Of course it will make creating audio styles (one of the first things I will do), so easy..

I cannot wait for MusikMesse to roll around...

Dennis
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIONSTRACS wrote:
Hi Bachus
Here just a shoot take from the Groove Rack with one external 22" display.
Here I have opened some applications, the LIONSTRACS OS remain always on TOP-LEFT side, 800X600 and you can recall the all features:

you can see that I have open the B4 II ASIO Host, VLC Video player, qranger with Audio-Midi tracks and the Jack connection Kit.
Here the full size of the 22":
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/2010/OS5/multiappsOS5.jpeg

On the Nvidia tool you can setup the all desidered monitors and resolution:
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/2010/OS5/display22OS5.jpeg

On OS 5 we have now 16 virtual desktops, where you can run up and fill the desktops with the all application that you like, Just Jack connent and play.
cheers

Awesome dom, thats a lot of information on that screen.

But it looks a little bit chaotic, you really should make a new interface for your first desktop.... Something that scales upwards.. And or downwards.

But then as a starter a customizable interface that runs on one of the 16 desktops, where musicians can add their software controllers, like buttons, sliders, knobs, touchpad, ribbon controllers, you name it. and then they could assign those software controllers to the functions in the groove, this way every user can create his own GUI that occupies the whole desktop.

People could even add your 800x600 base interface anywhere on that screen they want.
And people could bind external controllers to these knobs sliders and buttons.. So people can choose any controller they want and not just those few Akai controllers.

It would be a huge investment in programming time, but it would result in a professial looking interface, allowing groove rack users ultimate freedom in designing their own interface..

just my ideas on how you could make things better, some of these ideas you can allready find in openlabs Riff. but i think it would add a lot of flexibillity
deanspy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Dumb questions Reply with quote

To be honest, it seems not very easy to use for the average person.

Would you consider it a valid replacement for a MBPro running mainstage, with arranger capabilities added? Can you compare it to running the PA series live, with changes in rhythm and patches? It does not seem intuitive to me on first look. It might be something I would have to mess with before laying down that much money.

Can the system font be changed? I'm not a fan of the lionstrac font - sorry its hard to read when you are trying to navigate quickly. It's like reading all uppercase script.

Are you working on production of a demo video? This is much easier for people like me to internalize.

Thanks for listening - comments not meant in a mean way I promise!
MOTU 896mk3
Spark, Maschine, KOMPLETE
Other bits and bobs
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deanspy,

All comments are valid, so don't worry Smile

Domenico is only trying to show just what you CAN do, not what most users WOULD do Smile

It's an awesome capability in this new Groove XR.

The point being how easy it is to have your stage show and all the various components ready to go at the touch of a screen button.

In Linux a user can have multiple desktops loaded with exactly what programs and functions the user wants.

Example:

Lets say you are doing a show and you will be using audio styles, some MP3 backing tracks, some solo piano work and maybe even using a video feed (I don't but there are performers who do)

Each one of these can be setup on a particular desktop. Why is this good?
Well it means that for each different resource needed, instead of trying to re-open programs in a mad panic between songs, they are all there with the simple push of one Desktop select button. With all the resources loaded and waiting to be used. Audio outs video outs, Giga samples loaded, VST's loaded....

It really is a super system, and once a user is familiar with how it operates (and with the new OS it will be more intuitive -read easy- than ever), it will be a breeze to play with live.

Not to mention the superb sound you will have. Not to mention your own UNIQUE sound as you will be using all the sounds and audio samples chosen by YOU, and not the factory!!

Although there will be factory presets, so do't worry, a user will get a great Out Of The Box experience.

The Groove XR, represents a HUGE leap forward in end-user power, but in a package and with an operating system that will be user friendly even for a beginner.

There will also be substantial manuals and LOTS of online live help!

So don't be put off by the tech here Deanspy...Wait until MusikMesse and see how good you can be Smile This is one of those rare musical instruments that is TRULY only limited by a users imagination!!

Dennis
deanspy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miden,

It sounds like it would be a fit for my simple needs and I like the multiple outs and the ability to (hopefully) load the VST/AU sounds I already own.

I have managed to choke Mainstage and overload the audio engine on what should be a simple setup, at least to my tiny brain!

The multiple outs are a fantastic thing too because I like to run at the very least, the bass on a separate strip to the mixer for live EQ in a given venue.

I confess - I am a Linux virgin Embarassed
MOTU 896mk3
Other bits and bobs
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case Deanspy, I reckon the Groove XR will be the perfect fit for you.

And yes you will be able to run all your VST's you already own Smile.

Laughing don't worry about being a Linux virgin, as you put it...It's not an issue, as any user of the Groove XR does not really need to know anything about Linux.

The operating system for the Groove sits on top of Linux, which means Linux runs quietly in the background with no user interaction required. And the Groove OS itself does all the "up-front" work for you.

Unless of course the user WANTS to add differing Linux apps and tweaks. This is not recommended, and is not covered by any software warranties, and will not be eligible for official support, but the opportunity is certainly there for the end user Smile

I can almost guarantee you will find it really, REALLY difficult (I won't say impossible!!) to choke the Groove XR Smile

Dennis
AFG Music

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news to hear Rob-James-Domenico (lionstracs) work together, for a new product.

This rack will be a breakthrough because it is:

a giga sampler / synth / arranger / recorder / vertual pc studio inside one rack.

about qranger:

-8 intro-8 fill in-8 variation-8 end
-unlimited audio and midi tracks, so you can use more then one track for audio samples( guitar-drum- vocal.......................)

-You can add samples and sync in a elastic way, so you do not have to slice your perfect loops but press SHIFT key and resize with mouse and sync your audio loops.

-32 chords sections types for every chord. every chord section can have new unlimated audio/midi tracks for for the chord section selected.

-but you can of course select section C and for chord type select C M ajor and save your style , qranger automatically generates the other chord types from Cmajor.

-you can user sounds from every libray on your rack/groove/MS............

- import saved EMC style works sessions( expoted from EMC Style works to use ona midi Sequencer).

-record difference Measure/Bar/Tempo inside one style, for example one variation in 6/8 at 60 BPM and your second Variation 4/4 at 100 BPM.

and many other options.

but there are issues still to be done:

-you can record with 960 TPQN for songs but for styles you most record/save your style with 192 TPQN.

-you can not record in loop inside one track, becouse qtractor/qranger make a new clip for a new loop start until you do not record and press stop button.

-you most record every styles variation/fill/intro/end longer then 2 or 2.5 seconds.

-one little issue on qranger but not qtractor (-record difference Measure/Bar/Tempo inside one style, for example one variation in 6/8 at 60 BPM and your second Variation 4/4 at 100 BPM.) domenico already know this, after i reported him on lionstracs forum about TPQN and this one.

what qranger can not do?

-generate inverted chords (although you can record song specific styles and record the chord like they are played for that song) but not automatically.

-can not generate some chord types you see on other arrangers, from mandatory C Major chord, maybe i am wrong about this one. but if i am right about this maybe now korg arrangers are the best on arranger area, maybe possible lionstracs most use the same chord types that Korg arrangers can transpose from mandatory chord.....
deanspy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the software sounds very powerful. That's the only part I want quite honestly

But I wonder - why make yet another multi-thousand dollar box? Why not sell the card as a box and let me run my own computer?

Better yet - just sell me the hosting/arranging software, let it address my hardware audio box, sell it for $399. Then I can use my own laptop (that I already paid several thousand dollars for). I think your bottom line would benefit from a software-only solution.

It must be harder that I think, because I cant believe nobody has done this already. That's all some of us need really - a VST/AU host with an arranger function.

Not that I probably wont buy one when they get to Canada Very Happy

Dean
MOTU 896mk3
Other bits and bobs
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanspy wrote:

It must be harder that I think, because I cant believe nobody has done this already. That's all some of us need really - a VST/AU host with an arranger function.

There are several options for you. If you just want to run styles on your PC from time to time..

http://www.live-styler.de/home/

It runs Yamaha type styles and more.........

But then it does not even come close to the capabillities of Q-ranger in the Lionstracs or Groove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: