Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's hear your latest stuff....right here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I don't think anybody is under any illusions that they can produce a top 100 piece of music. You don't write music to make it a top 100 record.

Rhianna might, but thats her job.

Anyhow, this is something I threw together. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not.
I couldn't sleep so I got up and did this.
I reckon it should break into the top 10 000 000 000 charts if I really wanted it to.
Genre.....Homemade crap category.

Wink

Peace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vUCJH5siM

Hmm... that sounds almost like the one I threw together the other week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coupPJCOko

I guess great minds think alike!
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same combi.
Sorry chuck, not intentional. Are you ok with me keeping it on?
I guess we were both in a similar state of mind.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Same combi.
Sorry chuck, not intentional. Are you ok with me keeping it on?
I guess we were both in a similar state of mind.

Its a combi... not like either of us developed it Cool ... we just enhanced it! No need to even ask, I'd like to hear what others do with that combi as well as other combis, its what keeps us all unique Razz
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keeps you all unique"?
By using the same combination as each other?
Jeeze! Shocked

Anyway,runningman67, I laughed at your lighthearted attitude and great sense of humour! Thanks for your song. Its still not Top 100 at all, which you quite rightly guessed.

About Top100:

Yes, just something like a weekly Top 100. It dosen't matter if your ficticious song stays for 1 week or 40 weeks at Top 100, just so long as it qualifies for such a position.

There are many artists out there, even in this day and age, who produce quite some good sounding songs.
So why don't we have any good artists in these forums?

Surely you can't all not-like ANY Top100 song over the last 10 years?

I'm speaking about songs that are nice to listen to, something that you use time to bother to even copy onto your MP3 player or burn onto CD for your car. (Unless you bought the CD album, then theres no need to burn anything-I'm not speaking about piracy here)

I admit there seems to be better songs in ones youth, teen years than there is now, but we're also grown up adults now, we have to go to work, pay for mortgage, feed the fat little kids with McCrap, slap the wife around a bit e.t.c
So not much time to sit and get into music as when you were lazying about at school/uni years.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for someone to post something that qualifies for Top 100 charts.....

Maybe I should visit a Roland forum and see what those guys are doing? Embarassed Wink
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:

feed the fat little kids with McCrap, slap the wife around a bit e.t.c

Maybe I should visit a Roland forum and see what those guys are doing? Embarassed Wink

Shocked bye bye

Last edited by runningman67 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
RonF:
I agree with the others here, you seem like a decent person.
So thanks for your extended feedback in a decent way.

Hedegaard,

Thank your you comments...I take them as they are, and seek to find the constructive aspect of them...everyone is entitled to an opinion. Music is subjective, there is no right or wrong.

But I do take objection to some of your statements which do not pertain to my music, but are just blatantly biased, hypocritical, and absurd.

First.... being "cutting edge honest", and being "objective" are two completely separate things. Direct constructive criticism is one thing....but just cutting down everyones music without objectivity only serves to reduce your credibility, Sir. For example: when you say "only Europeans know how to make good electronical songs", frankly, you sound ridiculous. Thats just nonsense, and I don't know how anyone is supposed to buy into a single word you are saying after that. And I couldn't disagree with you more. Lets not even get into a discussion of Euro-dreck electronica vs mainstream music, because we will NEVER agree. But then...YOU are the one calling up "Top 100" as the criteria which music is to be judged....and that means the *mainstream* CHARTS by any normal definition.

Then when you say: "The others here seem to like your material, but thats probably because they also don't know what makes a Top100 song and so they make stuff similar sounding to yours." Now you are just being arrogant and absurd. So NO ONE ELSE is entitled to an opinion of what they like? And if by chance they do actually like something that you have decreed sub-standard....its only because they are clueless robots? And all this from a self described (evidently) authority on what makes Top 100 material......yet your own presentation of *one song* from 20 years ago is quite frankly anything but Top 100 material and itself is an intermediate home brew recording.

Which then begs the question....what the heck are you referring to with this Top 100 qualification? Top 100 WHAT? You yourself cannot even define which genre your song falls into: "I disagree that my song isn't Top 100 in some kind of genre". Yet, the entire internationally standardized rating system for music charts is based upon Genre and sub-Genre classification. Then when I try to categorize your music in a reasonably close genre classification (New Age) so that we can actually quantify whether you have a Top 100 song there......you simply bash the entire genre: "Because New Age style is an expression of lack of talent to me - its just pads upon pads upon pads of slowly evolving backtracks, with plinky plonky piano without sense on top". Wow, you are something else, my friend, with statements like that!

Not only do I know some outstanding New Age artists, who I admire and respect....and who genuinely HAVE produced TOP 100 New Age works, who have made millions from their art. But I also have produced New Age music which I am extremely proud of. Your statements are careless and outrageous as it relates to pigeon-holing an entire genre of music. Modern New Age can be brilliant...check out Spotted Peccary Music (I have personally collaborated with two recordings for a prominent artist here) as one example of fantastic contemporary New Age music that consistently "charts" in the top 100 for the genre. I can come up with a dozen other examples. Here is an example of a New Age song I produced a year ago, which was picked up in an indie film as part of its soundtrack, for which I was paid handsomely: http://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/09-track-09

Now....you find my songs "tasteless"? I'm just going to chalk that statement up to our differences in culture and language...because that is just rude and baseless. Its not like my songs bash the poor or pick on disabled persons......THAT would "tasteless". Its music dude.....Its an an expression of art. I have posted up here about 13 songs in various genres......they cannot ALL be "tasteless". You, however, may like NONE of them.....and that is certainly your right.

And further.....I'm not sure if by YOUR criteria you are judging the production or the composition as "top 100". In my view....the composition is what should be considered. The question should be: would a producer pick up the composition as top 100 material? Because that is how the business works in the real world! Every post of someones music here would be considered a "demo" to a record label or corporate producer. In each case, the producer would evaluate the *composition* and *talent*, and seek to re-produce (or at least re-master) the demo production in a pro or semi-pro studio. When you start saying things like...."The piano sound in the back drowned out her voice a few places"...you are referring to the production, not the composition. So which is it? Is it "top 100 music" you are judging?, or is it who is producing recordings with top 100 (read: Pro) quality? Again, your own production posted here is anything but Pro recording quality. Your standards seem very hypocritical and all over the board.

Lastly, the vocalist on my Pray For Me tune IS wonderful, on this we wholeheartedly agree!....and she is my Niece! Her career is taking off remarkably for a young woman, and she already has prominent recognition in Los Angeles where she is also a top music educator running her own prestigious and highly profitable private school. I am helping to write and record some of her latest projects, which we anticipate will be featured in a film production next year. I will refrain from dropping her credit today, because I have not discussed it with her. But I hope to post up some of the work we are currently in production with sometime soon.

This latest production I am immersed into is very large, and one of the most complex and full productions I have personally been involved with. It will take months to complete. And I am sure you will find it "tasteless", Hedegaard...even though we are under contract for compensation to deliver it....because the client loved the composition. Similar to the Pray for Me song (which I wrote and composed)....my personal "top 100" was to fulfill the desires and tastes of the client who paid me for the work. Pray for Me was used in a local indie film as the main title theme. I have been told by the client that it was a highly profitable project. I now have additional projects they are recruiting me to join onto. That's the standard by which I rate my music, Sir. I don't even WANT to be charting on the real "Top 100". Its not the life I want to lead.....I'm having too much fun with my own life.

Very respectfully,

Ron
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Belexandor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://soundcloud.com/smitty78/the-dreamer

Hedegaard,

Here you go. Go to town on it. I won't be offended by any criticism. I recorded this about seven or eight years ago using a Baldwin digital piano run thru a kurz micro ensemble and into a zoom digital multitrack......................It's rough as hell and never made it out of the state in which it is presented here: rough draft............ but it does have a melody.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll play along too Laughing

http://soundcloud.com/ngowans/quartet-dream

Started and finished today - that's about as recent as you can get!

A sketch piece (which I wanted to record whilst I remember it - haven't notated it yet!) where the pianist whilst playing dreams of hearing a quartet playing with her... and then a large orchestra... and so it comes, eventually Smile

Tech Info - all strings/pads played on Korg OASYS. All other sounds, the -keyboard-with-no-name.

Recorded/mastered on Korg D3200.

Composed and performed by me.

Ready to duck for cover...

(BTW - good debate here but let's hope it doesn't go to haywire otherwise mods will just lock it and that would be shame!)
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ron,
Thanks for your candid, frank and honest essay dissertation and your time taken to write all that.
I really do appreciate it and you are correct in a number of things.

Yeah quite right, there is a difference in production and composition and the part in your "Pray for me" song where the piano drowns out your nieces lovely voice was a shame. Really, because her voice really is of great class. I'm happy to hear that she is successful with her voice/talent and seems to be putting it to good use, rather than wasting it with hobby music.
That we can agree on and its ok, I don't need to know who she is, hearing her sing was a pleasure all by itself Smile
Anyway, this was about production, not composition as you pointed out.
But still there is a difference and I *think* it leaks into the sphere of composition, because anyone with an ear would have cut back on the amplitude of that piano at that particular part. So its not the recording quality which failed in this regard, but the composition, because the piano stole too much of the audible range.

And as you pointed out, my recording quality sucked for my song, I already know this and had mentioned it at the same time as I posted my link.

With regards to a "20 year old song". Let me digress, the song idea is roughly 20 years old and had existed as a riff for many years, but finally became as a complete song in the year 2001, which makes it 10 years old. I chose this song, because of its natural crappy acoustic sounds, which is, by my estimation, what most of you guys are posting here:
Acoustic sounding songs.
When I do something on the Oasys, I'll post it here and you're welcome to tear it apart. I praise criticism, because its the ONLY thing you can learn & improve from.

But I suppose its pretty tough too, because these things (music) is indeed very much about opinion.
I just find that my opinion is usually right about musical things, believe me, if I hear a song on a radio and I think its absolutely great, then this particular song has tremendous potential.
You know, you can appreciate fine art, you can love subtle lines, depth, mood, emotion, but you can't paint to save your life, but it dosen't stop you from appreciating quality when you see it.
Same with music.

Perhaps you're surrounded by people that are more appreciative of your efforts and probably are a bit kind in their criticisms of you. Maybe they find you full of talent, because they themselves can't play anything.
Perhaps thats why I seem "biased, hypocrite, rude" e.t.c. because I'm one of the few that actually point out truthfully, in my opinion, why your songs aren't catchy, or good enough material to be used on the radio (as an example)

But I AM happy on your behalf, that you are enjoying it, making some kind of money (which is very hard in itself) from your musical abilities.
And as I said, its only my opinion and I'm just a nobody on the internet, so it shouldn't matter at all to you. But despite that, I just know what sounds good to the ear, compositionally speaking that is.
And your songs, so far are a little "bland" or "blurred" or "washed out".

Sorry for using the word "tasteless", my English isn't perfect and I just meant that the songs just simply don't inspire, or provoke a mood within me. You're right, certainly your music dosen't "bash the poor" or "pick on disabled people", it just hurts my ears so damn much!
That was just a joke, your music isn't "hard to listen to" at all Smile

Oddly enough, your latest posting - that film score - is audibly, sonically (compositionally speaking) more interesting than your others. Because there is change within it and seems to manage to draw you into it. Which is a little difficult to do with film scores, because the music is the carrier of the message, but the pictures are the message themselves.
There is setting of "mood" within it, which is essential in film music and it gets going quite good.
But then towards the middle it again borrowed your more usual style of this crazy "auto accompaniment" rhythms filled with drum fills and bass trills and what not.
However, I would rate this higher than your other songs and I think it shows more clearly efforts from your creativity Smile

New Age, I still concur, its really very bland overall and without anything constructive melodic in them.
Its almost an insult to me that you would class my song as New Age, but its ok, I'm not offended Smile
I'm sure in the future, someone will make software that can auto-program New Age music.

I suppose borderline New Age, some of Vangelis pieces, such as the album "Voices" was really great. Here is someone who instinctively knows by intuition how to compose really magical pieces. Not all of them, but many songs.
I would class some of his songs as Top 100. Take Chariots of Fire for example. Very good song. It deserved a place up there.

With Top 100, I mean "general". Any kind of song, which sincerely deserves a place in the Top 100. Trust me, if its New Age, or heavy metal, rock, pop, or blues and it SOUNDS really terrific, the song will carry itself to the Top 100.

About the part where you admire your New Age artist friends. Sure, they can be really stand-up people and be firemen in their spare time, but it dosen't mean their music is automatically great.
Hip Hop music from Gangsta's make millions, but not all their music is great, some are downright nasty grinding things.
So its not about the money either, its about a song that can carry far off into the future. Usually only Top 100 songs can do this.
Madonna's old songs still get played. So do Michael Jacksons songs, so do Bob Dillion's, the Beatles e.t.c.
These people made some really great songs and some of these songs probably didn't earn nearly as much as some modern day gangsta rap.

Its perfectly ok that you don't want to make something Top100, I fully respect that.

So, I'm still waiting for someone here (including myself) to post something that isn't a demo of a Combination from the Kronos, but can rip right into the charts.

Finally, its not my purpose to go out of my way to offend/upset you, I'm just stating honestly my opinion of your music, not about you as a person, because as a person I think you're quite sincere and seem very decent! Smile

Also respectfully,
Hedegaard
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belexandor wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/smitty78/the-dreamer

Hedegaard,

Here you go. Go to town on it. I won't be offended by any criticism. I recorded this about seven or eight years ago using a Baldwin digital piano run thru a kurz micro ensemble and into a zoom digital multitrack......................It's rough as hell and never made it out of the state in which it is presented here: rough draft............ but it does have a melody.

You know Belexandor, I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but I really enjoyed your piece!

It shows promise, because the piano melody at the beginning was really great, with the 3 chord changes to support it.

The crappy guitar stuff at the beginning, do everyone a favour and cut that out completely. It simply dosen't sound like a guitar (poor programming I suspect) and dosen't lend anything to the song.
Or perhaps you could change it somehow?
Choose a different guitar sound, arpeggiate the notes, so its not 3-4x repeating of the same. Or at least change some of the notes velocities, so you don't get the same timbre/tone out each of the notes.

Then the electrical guitar had a really great intro and played quite nicely!
(For a while at least - but then it lost its way - unfortunately)

After 4 minutes of this song (its quite a long song at over 7 minutes!) I decided there wasn't much else to this, as its just a repeat of the first half (more or less)

Otherwise, its ok, you know, do some changes and it could easily be used for something Smile
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

A sketch piece (which I wanted to record whilst I remember it - haven't notated it yet!) where the pianist whilst playing dreams of hearing a quartet playing with her... and then a large orchestra... and so it comes, eventually Smile

Tech Info - all strings/pads played on Korg OASYS. All other sounds, the -keyboard-with-no-name.

(BTW - good debate here but let's hope it doesn't go to haywire otherwise mods will just lock it and that would be shame!)

Now we're getting somewhere, here is also something melodic, but very repetitive.
It was nice to hear the strings change throughout the song and this is where you can hear you're married to a cellist Smile
It makes for interesting listening, albeit not Top 100 either, but its interesting and not awful.
It would have been nice if the piano had a second melody part to it. Where things didn't stand still and dragged out.
The strings could change, so why didn't you put effort into the piano also?

Ok, its just something you made in 1 day, usually when we make something in 1 day, we find an original "idea" and stick too much to that idea, therefore it takes a little more to get 2 or 3 "ideas" and make that into a complete song.
Its a filmscore, so probably no need for too much fluctuation.

The piano sound is really smooth and sounds quite good coming from the Jupiter 80! Smile
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
cello wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere, here is also something melodic, but very repetitive.
It was nice to hear the strings change throughout the song and this is where you can hear you're married to a cellist Smile
It makes for interesting listening, albeit not Top 100 either, but its interesting and not awful.
It would have been nice if the piano had a second melody part to it. Where things didn't stand still and dragged out.

Ok, its just something you made in 1 day, usually when we make something in 1 day, we find an original "idea" and stick too much to that idea, therefore it takes a little more to get 2 or 3 "ideas" and make that into a complete song.

The piano sound is really smooth and sounds quite good coming from the Jupiter 80! Smile

This is genius in my opinion. Others will think I;m wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s5yvlckSlU

This is never going to be top 100 . It will only ever be heard by the lucky ones who stumble upon it, like I did. It doesn't have to be top 100 to be genius. In fact, it's a hook that gets people listening over and over. It may be 4 bars in a song, a solo, a key change, a break, a word. It is not possible to judge this. It's a happening, its not a maths equation. It's something magical.
We all hear and look for something different in a song. When it becomes a scientific formula, it isn't music.
If you dissect everything like a cold forensic scientist, you lose the art, the feeling, the human side to music.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
cello wrote:

Thanks for the positive and realistic comments - as you have said before, much more use in terms of learning (and I have so much still to learn!) Smile

I did however, consciously avoid changing the piano part. I was composing the piece to an imaginary film in my head. The lady is simply playing with her right hand, whilst holding a class of wine in the other. Whilst she is playing, no doubt fuelled by drink! Wink , she first imagines a quartet playing (and yes, you're right where that inspiration comes from!) then moves to a new section with a larger orchestra playing, with her dream complete she finishes with a nice bass piano note and walks to another part of the music room.

All just stuff in my head - so not trying necessarily to write a piece of music that stands in its own right (in this case). And am certainly not trying to write a top 100 piece, by any measure! If by some miracle I did write a top 100 piece, of course I'd be happy and take the money. But that's not why I compose/play.

And yes, for a 'synth', the JP-80 has a great piano (although this particular sound is a tweak of my own - using a preset as a starting point, I hasten to add!).
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
This is genius in my opinion. Others will think I;m wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s5yvlckSlU

This is never going to be top 100 . It will only ever be heard by the lucky ones who stumble upon it, like I did. It doesn't have to be top 100 to be genius. In fact, it's a hook that gets people listening over and over. It may be 4 bars in a song, a solo, a key change, a break, a word. It is not possible to judge this. It's a happening, its not a maths equation. It's something magical.
We all hear and look for something different in a song. When it becomes a scientific formula, it isn't music.
If you dissect everything like a cold forensic scientist, you lose the art, the feeling, the human side to music.

Great piece, great composition and arrangement and thought it was special - but I fear our Danish friend will suggest it is not melodic (which I'd agree).

But still a cracking bit of music! Never heard before, so thanks for the link

And TOTALLY agree re comments about science... music is what feelings sound like.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

music is what feelings sound like

Perfect Cello
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 5 of 95

Jump to: