Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone still actively using thier Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Anyone still actively using thier Kronos? Reply with quote

Or has the new technology and gear that's come out in these past few years persuaded you to use it less?

I know the Kronos is old and there's plenty of other tech to take its place but how many of you are still manning the Kronos? I sometimes feel like I'm in a limited category compared to what other folks use these days. Outdated I might even be but the years I've spent learning how to operate the Kronos have paid off for me.

When I fumble with stuff like Protools or those program synths (yuck) I feel a better musical connection with the Kronos. It still makes me feel like I'm playing an instrument because I am.

I'm just me but I don't believe in using a lot of stuff to make music. There's more power in the Kronos than anyone had in the 60's,70's,80's and even part of the 90's to make hit songs. I'm still discovering new ways to use the sequencer musically all the time.

The Kronos to me is a song making machine. I know it's not the same for some of you so what are you guys using these days and how have things shifted for you?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos still gets used on most days, as it is a joy to use. Other synths/keyboards, that also get a fair amount of use, include Wavestate, Radias, Novation Supernova, and EMU Proteus 2K. Korg M1, Wavestation, and M50 see use on a regular basis. Spectrasonics Omnisphere is the main VST, and is used several times a week.

Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. My Kronos2-61 is my gigging keyboard, along with a Studiologic SL88-Grand for piano action. It failed me once on a gig just a few weeks after I got it about 4 years ago... It booted up fine, but there was no audio output. I brought it in for warranty service and they found a loose connection.

Since then it has thrown the occasional error message at home when things have been shaken loose inside. I open it up periodically and re-seat the memory sticks and other connectors, and search for the odd loose bits of hardware that can cause problems. It has not failed me on a gig since that first time.

I bought a spare power supply board, and made a couple clones of the SSD, as those seem to be the most common points of failure, apart from loose connections.

It works great for me on gigs. One power cable, one USB cable from the SL88 to Kronos, one expression pedal, one sustain pedal, and a pair of TRS audio cables to a DI out to the house sound system and I'm good to go. On most of our gigs, I take a monitor send to my in-ears and do my own monitor mix with my iPad. Easy!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos is by far the best keyboard I have ever owned and played. Like others, it gets at least a few hours of playing daily, unless I am unwell or too busy with boring chores of life. To me, computer and music software are mainly tools to record live performances. As a musician I have always played everything with my hands, including drum sounds with the keys as interface.

And for the few annoyances/imperfections I felt I had with my Kronos, I simply designed solutions myself. To me, it is the most inspiring and fun to play musical instrument ever, regardless if it is for improvisation, classical piano, prog or any other style. I also enjoy creating new sounds and multisamples with it. Simply the best. Cool
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scoring a new set of commercials with it. My Kronos workload has not let up in the slightest. I have bought new gear, like the Force, Lyra 8, etc, but just to spice up my Kronos meal. Very Happy

I've also bought new sound libraries, mainly KApro stuff, as he continues to release new content.

I was scoring to a sequence, and just pondering about what a wonderful workflow the Kronos is. I use a foot pedal to start and stop sequences/recording, while mousing with my computer. But honestly, I was thinking how great it was to have no latency, while recording 2 tracks, 2 sounds, with 2 keyboards, at the same time. Oops, made a mistake. Press COMPARE and do it again. It even automatically goes back to the same measure, until I've got it just right. Really handy, when doing multiple attempts!

I also love having multiple SONGS available, as I often copy a song to a new slot, and work on a different part, then toggle to another section. We just shot some commercials with Jake the Snake (former wrestler), and I love having multiple songs for doing perspective parts. 100% Kronos sounds, with 2 controllers (OASYS & Kronos).

Jake and I:

wocongming

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I'm scoring a new set of commercials with it. My Kronos workload has not let up in the slightest. I have bought new gear, like the Force, Lyra 8, etc, but just to spice up my Kronos meal. Very Happy

I've also bought new sound libraries, mainly KApro stuff, as he continues to release new content.

I was scoring to a sequence, and just pondering about what a wonderful workflow the Kronos is. I use a foot pedal to start and stop sequences/recording, while mousing with my computer. But honestly, I was thinking how great it was to have no latency, while recording 2 tracks, 2 sounds, with 2 keyboards, at the same time. Oops, made a mistake. Press COMPARE and do it again. It even automatically goes back to the same measure, until I've got it just right. Really handy, when doing multiple attempts!

I also love having multiple SONGS available, as I often copy a song to a new slot, and work on a different part, then toggle to another section. We just shot some commercials with Jake the Snake (former wrestler), and I love having multiple songs for doing perspective parts. 100% Kronos sounds, with 2 controllers (OASYS & Kronos).

Jake and I:

Mike can you please explain to me how copying a song (im assuming an unfinished song?), to another song slot is an advantage? im sitting here thinking in my head by doing that what editing or adding to it on another song slot is an advantage. cant figure it out. thanx
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:

Mike can you please explain to me how copying a song (im assuming an unfinished song?), to another song slot is an advantage? im sitting here thinking in my head by doing that what editing or adding to it on another song slot is an advantage. cant figure it out. thanx

There are different versions of the commercials - 30 sec, 60 sec, and 120 sec. The 30 second version is a guitar sounding version, for Jake the Snake. After I submitted it, the producer wanted changes to just the first half of the song. No problem, I copied the Snake Farm version to Snake Farm 2, then I deleted the measures of everything except the drums, and redid the 3 guitars and bass sounds.

In the 60 and 120 sec versions. there are 6 other characters, in addition to Jake. They appear one at a time, and with their own theme. At first, I was going to time it all out, and copy Jake's theme into it. But, the other characters are all orchestral sounds, which I used 15 out of the 16 tracks for. It made sense to do Jake's part with a separate song slot, because of the rock sounds. Timing wise, it was just easier to score each little character part, and to leave a measure in between each section, in case final edit changes.

I made wave files of Jake's theme and the other characters. Then, I put them on the audio tracks of my editing program, and sync the transitions up there. Eventually, I render them as one piece of music, and send that to the editor. I match it up with the dialogue and make sure it blends together.

To answer your question, Having 200 song slots available, makes it easy to copy songs, and do different versions of them, or bits of them. Of course, COPY MEASURE allows you to copy measures and tracks between songs.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all I gig with these days.
holdsg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every gig....every time....for the last 10 years.
bands have come and gone (and some came again), but the one thing is constant, my baby, my Kronos.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not using mine a heap at the moment, but that’s more a consequence of having two young kids, a full-time job, wife and a master’s degree. Oh; and a lack of room to leave it setup full-time owing to the aforementioned factors.

It’s under the bed in its flight case, ready to go when the time is right.

I’ve tried software-based solutions on the Mac (eg Logic) but their UIs and latency issues don’t gel with me. Last time I fired up Logic I got a bunch of requests to deauthorise various plugins and I kind of just lost interest.

These days I spend a fair amount of time with my little Portastudio and boxes like the Microkoeg, JU06A etc, and am pretty satisfied.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using my Kronos X61 purchased in 2014 as my second tier keyboard, and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface of what it can do.

AL-1 remains a really powerful VA.

Whilst it seems Korg now have the Nautilus as their flagship, it is a step backwards in my opinion for all sorts of reasons, around loss of Karma and the control UI - Aftertouch was a deal breaker for me as well, but at least that is back.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Still using my Kronos X61 purchased in 2014 as my second tier keyboard, and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface of what it can do.

AL-1 remains a really powerful VA.

Whilst it seems Korg now have the Nautilus as their flagship, it is a step backwards in my opinion for all sorts of reasons, around loss of Karma and the control UI - Aftertouch was a deal breaker for me as well, but at least that is back.

Agreed. I'm still using my 2014 Kronos 61x. I use all of the control UI during live performance. I often try and figure out how to achieve the same results using only limited controls found on the Nautilus. Simply can't be done, so that alone strikes the Nautilus off my list. While demo'ing the Nautilus the screen reminds me of my old M3 screen. I love Korg, but unless they seriously update the Nautilus (Kronos 3), I'm moving to another brand.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have tracks that depend on Karma (and the control surface), so unless I retire them, I need something with Karma

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Gaston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first Kronos 88 in 2009. I'm still playing it. I've replaced all the felts inside of it twice from use. It's become my studio rig. I then bought another Kronos 88 in 2020 which stays packed up for the road. I duplicated all the gear necessary so that the road gear and studio gear are exclusive. Smartest thing I ever did, and saves me tons of time, trouble and back pain moving gear. Roadies often do it for me now. I made the decision to roll with Kronos X 2 because it's such a remarkable instrument. I've still not explored all of it's features. Beauty is I can work in studio, then drop everything onto a flash drive and upload it to the road Kronos in less than a minute. So thrilled with this instrument. Thank you Korg!
KingKronos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I also have tracks that depend on Karma (and the control surface), so unless I retire them, I need something with Karma

Afaik, the virtual pads also depend on KARMA.
One of many reasons I still use my Kronos.

I use it less the last few months.
But that's mostly due to my Stage 2 piano chops taking priority.
And a bunch of new hardware synths, and a groovebox.

When I gig again though, Kronos will still be front and center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: