Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryumexicano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

Hey friends. Long time no post here. I am trying to get either a Korg Pa5x or Genos 2, after my Korg Kronos got that demonic "Loading error" thing. It's been weeks without Kronos and I am just planning to get either a Pa5x or Genos 2 for performing with my band and use the arranger options for playing at home and messing around. I have listened to all videos possible, checked functions, etc.. on both but I can't make up my mind. I have never owned an arranger, so I am not upgrading from any arranger. I have always used workstations.

I haven't been able to play any of them at any store here in California. I just can't make up my mind. I wish Kronos didn't have that error to be honest. I read Korg Pa5x still has many issues that are not solved. I need the most realistic Saxophones, Trumpets, brass, guitars, Pianos, etc.. (latin music) for live performance. Most videos don't show this sounds.

Any thoughts? I have never used a Yamaha product either, so this would be a learning thing too.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally regret selling my Kronos!!!

If it is definitely an arranger that you want, then my personal view and suggestion would be to get a PA4x-76 for reliability and superb sounds.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

Ryumexicano wrote:
Hey friends. Long time no post here. I am trying to get either a Korg Pa5x or Genos 2, after my Korg Kronos got that demonic "Loading error" thing. It's been weeks without Kronos and I am just planning to get either a Pa5x or Genos 2 for performing with my band and use the arranger options for playing at home and messing around. I have listened to all videos possible, checked functions, etc.. on both but I can't make up my mind. I have never owned an arranger, so I am not upgrading from any arranger. I have always used workstations.

I haven't been able to play any of them at any store here in California. I just can't make up my mind. I wish Kronos didn't have that error to be honest. I read Korg Pa5x still has many issues that are not solved. I need the most realistic Saxophones, Trumpets, brass, guitars, Pianos, etc.. (latin music) for live performance. Most videos don't show this sounds.

Any thoughts? I have never used a Yamaha product either, so this would be a learning thing too.

I was waiting much more from genos 2, but I am disappointed. Korg pa5x is the best arranger, it may have some issues, but soon we will have some stable updates... Smile
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

Bescki wrote:
Ryumexicano wrote:

I was waiting much more from genos 2, but I am disappointed. Korg pa5x is the best arranger, it may have some issues, but soon we will have some stable updates... Smile

Where did you get that from.

Its 18 months since the 5X was released and still no significant upgrades to the Beta OS.
Ryumexicano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies guys. I just noticed Korg released a Nautilus AT. That sounds like a good Kronos replacement for lesser price than the arrangers. Mmmm. I still like those Genos 2 saxophones though. Is the Nautilus and Kronos the same format for sounds? Meaning, could I upload the Kronos Sounds to this new Nautilus AT? Is a joke that Korg released a previous version of this Nautilus WITHOUT AT, wow....amazed.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; after the Pa4x I didn't want another Korg arranger so I purchased a Genos 1 and it just didn't inspire me; so I looked at and ultimately bought the Pa5x and I'm in love with it.

Have not had ONE SINGLE issue with it. The sounds are very close to the Kronos (which I also sold since I'm no longer performing live in a band). The Pa5x simply grooves!!!
J2024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

Ryumexicano wrote:
Hey friends. Long time no post here. I am trying to get either a Korg Pa5x or Genos 2,….

I’ve just purchased a KORG PA5x 61 key this week. These are my initial thoughts, which may help you.

First impressions. Early stages.

The superb quality. THE WEIGHT: I have a Yamaha Genos 76 key, which weighs 13kilogram when the Korg PA5X 61 key weighed in at 20k! Amazing. No doubt due to the body made from aluminium and wood sides. The Genos body is plastic. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking the Genos, but surprised Yamaha still produces plastic units, given the high price and the onboard quality styles and sounds.

KEYBOARD; As soon as I touched the keys, yes definitely semi weighted. Feels more like playing a piano. Really liked it.

STRINGS: Wow! Many reviews I have read and heard, indicated the Korg strings are more realistic than Genos and even the latest Genos 2. I’ve had Genos since it was released and love it as a workstation. I always thought the strings could be better and set about creating my own string sounds. But the Korg just blows me away as to how realistic the strings are. And with so many variations.

I can’t comment on anything else yet, such as styles and voices, until I’ve played around with them.

The Korg’s dedicated PAAS speaker: Where are they? Although we can use external studio monitors, the PA5X has been designed to accept their PAAS. But they are unavailable at Korg and retailers. What’s happening there? I’ll put this to Korg. I’d really like the PAAS on this keyboard.

Still it’s early days. I’m too busy enjoying the discovery of what this little beast is capable of. I particularly bought this for the strings and synths, which makes this an outstanding arranger. Will be interesting to compare certain sounds and styles with Genos to the Korg.

If I didn’t own a Genos would I still go for the Korg? No, I would have the Genos or the Genos 2. To me they are both different units. Genos being a workstation and Korg more of an arranger. So I would only do what I have done now, which is to have both. I couldn’t let go of the Genos and certainly wouldn’t part ex towards Genos 2 for many reasons. It’s a disappointing upgrade. That’s a separate issue. However, if you were to purchase a Genos first time, yes, go for the latest Genos 2. It’s personal choice but both keyboards are different. I may have a change of mind once I’ve hammered out the KORG.

Hope this makes some sense. Will update soon as I can.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

J2024 wrote:
Genos being a workstation ...

If you will dig deeper and discover Pa5X capabilities then you will see why Pa5X is the only arranger that can replace a sampler
workstation , Genos 2 not even close and if properly customized by 3rd party libraries , only latest VST can compete it ...
Pa5X has the most featured and unbeatable hardware sampler engine very close to VST sampler players !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
SpOoNmAn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About to pull the trigger on a Pa5x, I finally got to play around on one and it's far better than I expected. I'd feel better about it if my fantom 06 and akai would have sold 1st, but 1st world problems....

If I wasn't a Korg guy(see signature below), I'd give a used Genos a look see. But it shares the same problem as its more expensive big brother, and imo, it's THE biggest difference, and a deal breaker.

A Genos 2 after tax would run me $6k. And for it NOT to have those 3 letters, or 3 words...

SST
Seamless Sound Transition

How anything at that price point lacks sound transition, is mind boggling, especially on a machine geared towards gigging, where transitioning is more important. The Nautilus spoiled me with it, there's no going back.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

J2024 wrote:
.....THE WEIGHT: I have a Yamaha Genos 76 key, which weighs 13kilogram when the Korg PA5X 61 key weighed in at 20k!......

The weight of Pa5X 61 you mentioned is not correct.
The Pa5X 61 is 15.1 kg / 33.29 lbs.
J2024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

The weight of Pa5X 61 you mentioned is not correct.
The Pa5X 61 is 15.1 kg / 33.29 lbs

You are quite correct. Sorry about that, I inadvertently put the weight of the 88 key!
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa5x or Yamaha Genos 2 Reply with quote

J2024 wrote:
...You are quite correct. Sorry about that, I inadvertently put the weight of the 88 key!...

No problem , it's just a detail... Very Happy
Ryumexicano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate it. I bought the pa5X. It has not arrived yet, so we will see.
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryumexicano wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate it. I bought the pa5X. It has not arrived yet, so we will see.

Yes, maybe now is a time to buy pa5x, do some exercise, then you will get a new update...

But what to do with us? I have bought 18 months ago. Sad)
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J2024 wrote:
Genos being a workstation and Korg more of an arranger. So I would only do what I have done now, which is to have both. I couldn’t let go of the Genos and certainly wouldn’t part ex towards Genos 2 for many reasons. It’s a disappointing upgrade. That’s a separate issue. However, if you were to purchase a Genos first time, yes, go for the latest Genos 2. It’s personal choice but both keyboards are different. I may have a change of mind once I’ve hammered out the KORG.

I love hearing all these different points of view - fascinating.
I have owned many Yam arrangers (incl Tyros) and also continually studied the Yamaha detailed manuals in the hope that there is a truly new OS approach. Genos docs are not that much different to the Tyros. Yamaha magically discovered the "joystick" and "touchscreen" and a few extras but the underlying performance aspects have not changed and still leave it way behind Korg. It would seem that Korg have done the DSP job on the PA5x like Yamaha has done since the Tyros 1. Sounds nice though.... then again sounds are very subjective. On the other hand, I have always found Tyros/Genos styles to be way too basic and repetitive once you get past some of the incredible intros. Can't say that I view any current arrangers as "workstations". EVENT is a real concern with its openly demonstrated flaws - but it is new still - Audya had too many flaws and took way too long to fix otherwise I would have jumped at one. Seems PA5x is going through that similar Audya phase - way way too long to get fixed....

Are arranger days over in terms of new design etc....? Maybe high-end expensive arrangers are now not a healthy product line. Even Yamaha Montage is being pushed as a "possible" arranger with some of its new features (YouTubes on this). KARMA can be used like an arranger - with outstanding editing facilities.

I believe virtual arrangers will be the future - well, certainly provide great options.

Time will tell - but will it? How much time is the frustration.....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: