Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First live gig with Krome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: First live gig with Krome Reply with quote

I spent the week creating patches and combis, tweaking and balancing, EQing and tuning them up. I was monitoring through A focusrite DSP24 and a SKy 2.1.

Took my rig to the gig and it was a disaster.My Stage 2 sounded the same but the Krome was just way off. My sound gear is a DBX 266 compressor into a Radial Duplex DI, sending to my K10 and to the FOH.

Firs tthe bass register on the piano patches were very bassy, I tried some quick EQ settings but during a gig its hard to dial in .There was also a gain staging problem, patches were overdriven.

The only patch I wound up using that night was a horn section patch, I use dthe Nord for everything else.The organs on the Krome were, well, cheesy. The rotary sim sounded very un-rotar tlike.

Now having said this, I drug home my monitoring gear(it was residing in the band trailer) and will start over at home redoing the patches, EQ, and gains wit hwhat I will be using.I also will redo the signal distribution, adding a line mixer with a built in LO-Z send and monitor send, ommitting the Radial. It was summing both boards, which I think may have been some of the issue, even though there is supposed to be a summing network in the DI.

Bottom line, this board may shine in the store, or more likely sound bad.
You should audition it with your playback system, whether it is live or a studio.I will say most combo amps will NOT do this board justice.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had the compressor in front of the Radial Duplex?
How many outputs from the compressor into the DI box?
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats where I may have had an issue.

Mono outs from both boards into a respective channel of the compressor, unlinked, HI-Z into the Radial Duplex, with the MIX button engaged on the DI. The reason for this summing is there is only one channel on the PA board for Keys. I had been using outputs 1 and 2 from the Nord in this same setup. Last night I seperated the two inputs from the Nord and just split them to the respective Mono outs of the boards.

Stage---------------DBX ch 1---------------DI ch 1 Left--parallel HI-Z to K10
mix button on-----LO-Z to PA
Krome--------------DBX ch 2--------------DI ch 1 Right--parallel HI-Z to K10

I think I didnt have issues beore(maybe) because it was just the Nords outs, I will have more time at home plus wit hthe line mixer I will have isolation
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similarly dis-heartening experience trying to incorporate a piece of Roland gear that I'd only had a day or two when I tried to gig with it. (And this was not a beginner mistake, I'd been playing pro for more than 15 years at that point - just really wanted to get my new toy on stage.)

Disaster!

I could navigate just fine in the store. On stage with only seconds between songs it was as if I was trying to dial a phone wearing boxing gloves. I could find nothing. Every selection was wrong we'd be 8 or 10 bars in before I even came close to having the right sound.

Took it back the next day and traded it in.

Hopefully your Krome will fare better.

BB

PS: I worked at home dialing in my Triton Extreme for more than a month before I was satisfied that I could do precisely what I wanted from the first note I played on stage. (...and boy did that wait take will power) Worth it tho' to hit the ground running. I'm still tweaking the blue beast and making the sound even better than the pretty good it started out as.

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@musicman,

You might want to look into getting a small submixer. I use a small Behringer model to merge my keyboards - it was only around $50 and gives me a mic/lin in, two (dual) stereo line ins and an aux in, summed to two 1/4 line outs and a headphone channel.

It's a pretty reasonable solution and doesn't color the signal from the keys at all.

Panning everything to center and using only 1 output would get you the same level on all inputs - a summed signal - even of you used L+R from your keys into L+R on a channel.

--------------

My set-up is a bit different from yours, as I'm using the submix for my monitor - which is one input only - so it gets the summed signal where the FOH gets a separate feed from 2 keyboards (L+R as mono+mono) from my stereo DI.

I also use a Radial DI, but run the keys thru it first and use the thru signal to drive the submixer and then to an JBL Eon 15.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going mono out from the compressor, there was no need to engage the mix buttons on the Radial DI. Each board would have a single cable running to the respective ¼" inputs on each side of the DI. Then out via the respective XLRs on the other end of the box. (Or, alternately, out via the bottom ¼" outputs located beneath each input.)
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
If you were going mono out from the compressor, there was no need to engage the mix buttons on the Radial DI. Each board would have a single cable running to the respective ¼" inputs on each side of the DI. Then out via the respective XLRs on the other end of the box. (Or, alternately, out via the bottom ¼" outputs located beneath each input.)

I only have ONE LO-Z line to the PA , only one channel, thus I have to mix the Radials inputs to feed the LO-Z out on the back
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
@musicman,

You might want to look into getting a small submixer. I use a small Behringer model to merge my keyboards - it was only around $50 and gives me a mic/lin in, two (dual) stereo line ins and an aux in, summed to two 1/4 line outs and a headphone channel.

It's a pretty reasonable solution and doesn't color the signal from the keys at all.

Panning everything to center and using only 1 output would get you the same level on all inputs - a summed signal - even of you used L+R from your keys into L+R on a channel.

--------------

My set-up is a bit different from yours, as I'm using the submix for my monitor - which is one input only - so it gets the summed signal where the FOH gets a separate feed from 2 keyboards (L+R as mono+mono) from my stereo DI.

I also use a Radial DI, but run the keys thru it first and use the thru signal to drive the submixer and then to an JBL Eon 15.

BB

That is my plan. I ordered a rack mounted line mixer with both LO-Z main outs and a HI_Z monitor send, I think that will simplify things and make the signal flow better.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking out of ignorance, but why does a keyboard need a compressor?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunKorg wrote:
I'm asking out of ignorance, but why does a keyboard need a compressor?

It doesn't.
Yatrix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi musicman,
As a suggestion - check type of line inputs on DBX.
Krome has TS (mono unbalanced) outputs while DBX may have TSR mono balanced inputs.
At least in my case that caused in bad sound when my M50 TS outputs were connected to PA with TSR input by pair of standard cabels with mono jacks 1/4".
Documentation included in setup.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"need", hmmm...

You could use a compressor if the dynamic range of your patches exceeds the ability of your soundman to adjust. The "bang" followed by the relative low volume that you get with piano patches seems to provide a particular challenge, as does the changing of patches to things as varied as flute to distorted guitar, to power synth, to rhodes with no adjustment or dial-in allowed.

Compressor can help even those out.

BB

musicman2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
"need", hmmm...

You could use a compressor if the dynamic range of your patches exceeds the ability of your soundman to adjust. The "bang" followed by the relative low volume that you get with piano patches seems to provide a particular challenge, as does the changing of patches to things as varied as flute to distorted guitar, to power synth, to rhodes with no adjustment or dial-in allowed.

Compressor can help even those out.

BB

Thank you Bill, once again some members operate in a narrow range of music styles and playing and, perhaps out of this, dont realize there are many dynamics at play and make a blanket statement such as "keyboards DONT need compression".Just check the inserts on a large FOH venue, or the mixing board on a recording session, you WILL see compression there on the keys channels.

My patches contain those percussive elements, and organ patches are problematic to control, even with a swell pedal. Some patches are programmed with velocity layers so some type of limiting or compression helps "fill up" the soundscape.

Bottom line, in the other posters case he doesn't need/use processing, MY bandmates and audience are happy I have compression.
musicman2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
Hi musicman,
As a suggestion - check type of line inputs on DBX.
Krome has TS (mono unbalanced) outputs while DBX may have TSR mono balanced inputs.
At least in my case that caused in bad sound when my M50 TS outputs were connected to PA with TSR input by pair of standard cabels with mono jacks 1/4".

Thank you Yatrix, for your suggestion. Yes I have seen that unbalance create those issues.

The Radial JDI Duplex has XLR balances and 1/4" TR unbalanced inputs.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to add a mixer to the chain, you could put it in front of the Radial Duplex and after the compressor. This way, you have one controlled, gain-staged signal going into the DI box. You can even use the XLR out of the mixer into the XLR input of the Radial.

I might keep the Radial in the chain because the passive Jension transformer eliminates ground loops - keeps everything clean going to FOH and to your monitors.

Also, don't know about the Krome, but my M50 tends to have a hot signal. I keep the volume slider on the keyboard between 33-50% depending on the setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: