Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca sampler looks nice, but i will not buy it because
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: volca sampler looks nice, but i will not buy it because Reply with quote

i own the other three volca's, and i like them, except one big huge drawback, and that is the One Bar Loop limit.

I am listening to a live recording from myself right now. I really did my best to make it sound good with freguency split effects in Ableton. And it does sound good,
if only it was not so gxddxmn LOOPY!

I really really hope that korg fixes this in an update.

before that no volca sampler, and i am thinking about getting rid of the volca's

such a bummer
teknoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...new information learned me that the volca sampler does have a song mode. So i was wrong about that. Good they listened and improved that.

Now we only need this as update for the 3 other volca's too!
Untill that time most of them are standing in my closet...
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the purpose of the volcas is standalone usage, but you can always hook them up to a sequencer or DAW if you want to overcome the 1 bar limit.
teknoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and use them as module's? they are not made as module's. It would be a pity for all the neat functions that are there.

I do hook them up to my DAW, as said in OP. But I should not have to...
jiggityj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A KP3 is great to have since theres a "4-track" sampler with 16bars each. Great effects to spice up the volca sound.
teknoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does this fix or even workaround the single loop 'bug' ? ? ?

Using external effects stays very, Very limited for a single output machine off course.
That's why i use a daw, where frequency splitting is easy. every good mixingboard should be able to do the same of course

i have been waiting for this update, and i have still some hope.
korg did do a nice update for the monotribe is what I have heard...

if it does not come i would like to know too . . .
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any instrument that has MIDI IN can be used as a sound module... that's what the jack is there for. Rolling Eyes
It seems rather silly not to be taking advantage of that MIDI IN jack to sequence them if you're already using a DAW for recording.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
teknoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ re-member: thank you so much for explaining to me the function of the midi 'jack'. I have been using midi since 1989, thank you.

I use it for syncing to my DAW b.t.w...
To me it seems rather 'silly' to use a performance instrument as a module, and miss out in the many performance funtions like the internal sequencer, active step, motion rec, clock devide etc. This is where the machines are designed for. There is no way I can sequence the volca bass for example the same way as from the unit itself. Maybe one day you too will understand that sequencing from your DAW is not the most intuitive way to make live music.

Otherwise you could have just a vco. Would be cheaper too.

funny how the least informed people always seem to love that rolling eyes emoticon 8]

Last edited by teknoid on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
brambos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also hardware sequencers. I can sequence entire songs with my Volca without a DAW in sight. Look into using e.g. an ESX instead of a PC.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
To me it seems rather 'stubborn' to use a performance instrument as a module, and miss out in the many performance funtions like the internal sequencer, active step, motion rec, clock devide etc. This is where the machines are designed for.

It could still be used as designed plus as a sound module. Using it one way does not negate the other. Even when feeding it MIDI notes from a DAW, all the onboard sequencer features can still be used.

teknoid wrote:
There is no way I can sequence the volca bass for example the same way as from the unit itself.

Sure you can. Since you mentioned that you use Ableton Live, just loop a blank MIDI clip and dub in the notes by hand, or pencil them in step-by-step from a stopped position. Best of all, there's no one-bar-loop limitation in Ableton. You can chain patterns together into a song without ever having to stop.

teknoid wrote:
Maybe one day you too will understand that sequencing from your DAW is not the most intuitive way to make live music.

That depends on whatever kind of music you are doing live. I perform Synthpop styled music with lyrics and song structures that are set in stone, so I keep everything MIDI chained to one hardware sequencer for full song playback with no DAW necessary. But for jamming out ideas and song writing, I do indeed use a DAW every step of the way so I can track down and recall everything.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin

Last edited by Re-Member on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Volcas are more than just a single VCO. There's the filter, LFO, envelope, ring mod, delay effect, etc. all of which can still be manipulated live while being slaved and sequenced externally. It would cost well over $150 to set up the exact same sound features on a modular rack.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my volcas with electribes acting as sequencers, and it expands them more than anything. 4 bar loops...song mode...poly rhythms....etc. One of the best examples I can give is to sequence the Volca Bass or Keys...you now have the power to change notes in the loop, easily and on the fly. And like Re-Member also said, you can always switch between the onboard and external sequence.

of course I wish the units had more features, and I'd be willing to pay more for them in return.. . but you gotta work with what you have sometimes.
teknoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again re-member, for pointing out to me the very basics and obvious (thanks everybody for that), whilst ignoring most of my arguments.
In your example: how would I adress the 3 different oscilators with different bar lengths (polyrhythmic) whilst toggling active step?

The other tips seem to not be adressed to me, since they always just seem to ignore my points; they seem to be more directed to potential future Korg costumers...

I was hoping to have another collective manifest for this technical small and most likely possible update. My post was not negative. Just a feature request.
You can find ten thousand ways of bending reality and try to state that the feature is not needed: I disagree.

But if you use a purposely chosen strong thead title like I did, you get the covert Korg marketing team ´saving´ the thread.
But not for me though I have learned nothing new from this thread, besides the fact that this is not really the forum for me: too much amateuristic desinformation and (proffesional) ´fanboy´ nonsences.

Thanks for the solidarity everybody, this way i am sure we get this ESSENTIAL update. If not in a half year from now, I am afraid I will have to move on to a different brand of `hands on` analog equipment. Maybe more expensive, but at least will be useable...

good day everybody
'save' this thread all you like...
brambos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
I was hoping to have another collective manifest for this technical small and most likely possible update.

Why is that a small update? Sounds to me like a pretty fundamental change to the Volca's sequencer. Why would Korg invest precious R&D and testing resources into something that already works exactly as advertised?

I like free things as much as the next guy, but I don't expect to get them.

Quote:
You can find ten thousand ways of bending reality and try to state that the feature is not needed: I disagree.

I don't need the feature and I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought my Volca. Your needs are different than mine, clearly.

Quote:
besides the fact that this is not really the forum for me: too much amateuristic desinformation and (proffesional) ´fanboy´ nonsences.

Reality check: the Volca range is an ultra affordable category of instruments aimed at enthusiasts, beginners, hobbyists, tinkerers, circuit-benders, etc. If you're looking a professional discourse I'm sure you're more likely to get your fix in the Moog forum around the corner.

Nothing fanboy'ish about this discussion. I guess we just have different expectations of cheap 'n cheerful hardware synths like the Volcas.

Either way, someone once gave me very good advice: buy products for what they are, not for what they could be in the future. I don't feel entitled to updates. Especially not for what I'm already getting for my €130

But that's just my €0,02.
teknoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paste from my earlier post: "...Just a feature request.
You can find ten thousand ways of bending reality and try to state that the feature is not needed: I disagree."

from an interview with volca designer T. Takahashi:

Tony:

OK, now I've got a few questions from the Korg Volca Series Facebook group. Here's the first: "Can a Song Mode or Pattern Chain Mode be added in an update?"

Tats:

If there's a good way to implement it then yes, but I'm a bit worried about the interface as it's already pretty packed. You've got functions on all the buttons so if we were to do it I guess it would be a different start-up mode. I think that's one of the reasons we didn't do it because I thought it would be too complicated. I thought these should be live machines, rather than something you build a song on like the Electribes. But maybe - I still think it's a good idea so if there's a good way to do it I'm up for that.

here is the whole interview:
http://www.generalimprovement.co.uk/Interview.htm

so, I still have hope...
still...some hope

Last edited by teknoid on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: