Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg SQ-1 Analog Step Sequencer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveKnights

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: New Korg SQ-1 Analog Step Sequencer Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can any experts tell me if this new Korg SQ-1 will be worth getting to sequence the Volcas?

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Korg-SQ-1-2x8-Analog-Step-Sequencer/169G?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKEAiAoo2mBRD20fvvlojj5jsSJABMSc7jtepbAkovBcqEffEfW8T9SvL4ITxeeLyYa0ccugvW-BoCbsvw_wcB

Could it sequence full songs for multiple volcas at the same time (that would be the deal clincher for me)?
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but there's no talk of memories, let alone a song mode.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/

It reads like it just gives you 2 x 8 steps, which can be chained as a 16 step sequencer or played in various other modes eg having 2 x 8 step sequencers sending 2 parameters at the same time. Within that there are things the volcas have like step jump and active step - but that just alters which of the 16 steps are played. It does have a random mode though.

It looks like it would be a nice creative tool for running an ever-changing bassline.

I can't see a user manual anywhere, but as it lets you control a different device via cv/gate for each bank of 8 steps, it **may** be possible to have it run as 2 x 8 step sequencers outputting on a different midi channel for each of the 2 banks. If so, you could add a midi-splitter and cable the sq-1 into that, and then cable the splitter to 2 volcas.

that's quite a lot of hassle for 2 x 8 step sequencers - you'd need to have a pretty specific requirement for something the sq-1 does (eg random) vs the volca's built in sequencers.
DaveKnights

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, cheers. Have to admit I read it the same but I thought I must be missing something as have seen people raving about this new product. I would like to get some kind of sequencing hub; at the moment I sequence the Beats via midi through a Yamahga QY10 which is laborious, and then use volca sync to the bass and keys.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the SQ-1, but then Arturia announced the Beatstep Pro which looks REALLY interesting as well, and will almost surely give Korg competition here.
jiggityj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely picking up an SQ-1 for the 2 monotribes.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxAiDQLqtPs
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg says the SQ-1 has a "Midi-Out with Stereo Jack" - I do suppose that we need to buy a 3,5mm Stereo-Jack to 5pin DIN - MIDI plug.

for example:
http://www.amazon.de/Polig-Stecker-Klinkenstecker-Stereo-Audio/dp/B0053O6CSW/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

BUT to my (limited) MIDI-knowledge with this kind of adapter you can only transfer

- MIDI-Clock
- MIDI Start/Stop

Is this correct???
jonkeefe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:
Korg says the SQ-1 has a "Midi-Out with Stereo Jack" - I do suppose that we need to buy a 3,5mm Stereo-Jack to 5pin DIN - MIDI plug.

for example:
http://www.amazon.de/Polig-Stecker-Klinkenstecker-Stereo-Audio/dp/B0053O6CSW/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

BUT to my (limited) MIDI-knowledge with this kind of adapter you can only transfer

- MIDI-Clock
- MIDI Start/Stop

Is this correct???

I've got an Arturia BeatStep that uses this type of jack (and comes with this type of connector). Only three of the five pins are used on DIN5 MIDI connectors, so a tip-ring-sleeve 1/8" stereo jack can transmit any MIDI signal.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the Information!!

Is there anywhere a technical drawing of the beatstep connector - I would be very interested how the signal-paths are from the stereo-jack to the MIDI-Pins?
chris-korg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jiggityj

jiggityj wrote:

have a look at the ehx effect pedals:

I use the ehx pitch fork (brings polyphony) after my monotribe and go from there into the ehx deluxe Memory Boy (synced analogue delay)

In combination with a sequencer at the frontend (I use right now the Doepfer Darktime; sq-1 is already ordered) you can spend hours and hours..... Very Happy
Scumbaguk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:

for example:

- MIDI-Clock
- MIDI Start/Stop

Is this correct???

MIDI requires only 3 pins of the 5 on a midi connector. The rest aren't wired up so a stereo jack has everything you need to transmit midi on the tip, ring and sleeve. There is no inherent restriction it just saves space on the device.

(Edit. Sorry I see you're question has already been answered. )
jonkeefe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab a multimeter and figure out what's what.

chris-korg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT!!!

Thank´s a lot Smile

Chris
jiggityj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:
@jiggityj

jiggityj wrote:

have a look at the ehx effect pedals:

I use the ehx pitch fork (brings polyphony) after my monotribe and go from there into the ehx deluxe Memory Boy (synced analogue delay)

In combination with a sequencer at the frontend (I use right now the Doepfer Darktime; sq-1 is already ordered) you can spend hours and hours..... Very Happy

I've actually been looking into these pedals lately especially tbe Memory Toy. Seen that Ombient Berlin School example video where he uses these pedals.

I've bought ModTone pedals specifically for the monotribes before, but wasn't impressed and just used the minikp. Got 2 mini pandoras also for them, but sounded like crap.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend "a little bit" more money and buy the deluxe memory boy instead of the memory toy - "tap-tempo" is such a valuable feature!!!
I also have the EHX Cathedreal as well (has also tap tempo) - also very inspiring.

Another suggestion for fattening up the monotribe-sound:
Doepfer A 115 - gives you the fatteness of additional 4 oscillators for just EUR 60.-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: