Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Taking On The OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
Gentlemen:
Hate to add any more wood to the fire,

Really? I think we've established that fueling fires is the only reason that you're here.

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
And if you can be bothered to download it, you will find that a lot of the sounds are actually better sounding than the stuff in the $8000 Oasys.

You've already established that you don't have an OASYS to compare to, so how could anyone take this comparison seriously?

BTW, have fun managing the multiple studios that you own! (In Europe and California, right?) I'd think that the income and time-pressures of such an empire would mean that you wouldn't need to keep track of free software releases, but I'm glad that you find the spare time to do so.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
LarsVonMeyer wrote:
Gentlemen:
Hate to add any more wood to the fire,

Really? I think we've established that fueling fires is the only reason that you're here.

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
And if you can be bothered to download it, you will find that a lot of the sounds are actually better sounding than the stuff in the $8000 Oasys.

You've already established that you don't have an OASYS to compare to, so how could anyone take this comparison seriously?

BTW, have fun managing the multiple studios that you own! (In Europe and California, right?) I'd think that the income and time-pressures of such an empire would mean that you wouldn't need to keep track of free software releases, but I'm glad that you find the spare time to do so.

Most of the stuff Yellow Tools makes is not free, and being an owner of some of their high-end software - I actually get emails about all their latest products - even the free stuff. (The KVR link is there so you can see any reviews of the app before you download it)

Now with regards to the studios......well I really don't care if you think I am bluffing, its got nothing to do with what we are talking about here, and therefore I shall not comment or give any further information about my commercial interests.

Unlike some people, I am not using these public forums as a medium to promote or advertise any commercial activities; there are other places to do that. I just want to have a thought provoking discussion about instruments that can be used to make music.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:

Now with regards to the studios......well I really don't care if you think I am bluffing, its got nothing to do with what we are talking about here, and therefore I shall not comment or give any further information about my commercial interests.

Ah, but you were using these claims to establish credibility. Unfortunately, I think they may have had the opposite effect.

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
I just want to have a thought provoking discussion about instruments that can be used to make music.

Yes, as noted previously, that's what we'd all expect you to say.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to have a thought provoking discussion about instruments that can be used to make music.

For describing your activity in this music-related forum, you've come up with quite a convenient little euphemism for "troll".
ski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hate to add any more wood to the fire...

I'm looking into my crystal ball right now and I can see... yesssss... I can see that you're FILLED with regret...

Quote:
And... you will find that a lot of the sounds are actually better sounding than the stuff in the $8000 Oasys.

This [ahem] "statement" assumes that you have something to compare the Yellow stuff to. Last I heard, though, you don't own an Oasys. And unless you do, you'd be hard pressed to make a comparison.

Or, you could very well have caught a touch of Ricky Ricordo's unfortunate affliction whereby he has delusions of being able to offer informed opinions about things he doesn't actually have any experience with.
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This [ahem] "statement" assumes that you have something to compare the Yellow stuff to. Last I heard, though, you don't own an Oasys. And unless you do, you'd be hard pressed to make a comparison.

Or, you could very well have caught a touch of Ricky Ricordo's unfortunate affliction whereby he has delusions of being able to offer informed opinions about things he doesn't actually have any experience with.

I don't own an Oasys, but I have played around with it on numerous occasions, and lets just say the acoustic sounds weren't exactly convincing, (much like the Triton, which I do own); whereas the Yellow Tools player has some very realistic (albeit dry) acoustic sounds.

Hey, I noticed you are a sound designer for Korg, nice acoustic pianos by the way Embarassed, you might want to play a real piano before you try to sample or model one.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
I don't own an Oasys, but I have played around with it on numerous occasions, and lets just say the acoustic sounds weren't exactly convincing, (much like the Triton, which I do own);

See, the problem with getting caught making stuff up is that it tends to throw serious doubt on any other claims that you make.

You are also, unfortunately, trying to insult people who actually use this stuff professionally. Ski is probably too modest to note it here, but his resume is quite impressive (and completely verifiable Smile ), including both electronic and orchestral work.

And, from your comments about the pianos, it appears that you haven't really listened to them. I own Ivory, but with OASYS in the studio, I don't use it frequently.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LarsVonMeyer.

I'm saying this as a Moderator to you right now.

Everyone is very welcome to their opinion, but constant non value content in a negative direction is a waste of bandwidth and peoples time.

You have said your piece at this stage so...end of story !!!!

There are many other topics worth discussing either in this section, or on other parts of the forum.

So drop it....because you soooooo look like a Troll to me right now. This will be your only warning.

Remember that while in general any topic goes here, this is at the end of the day a forum for Korg users and it's my job to maintain the quality of that content.

Sharp.
ski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
Hey, I noticed you are a sound designer for Korg...

Your powers of observation are good, Lars, though it would seem that mine aren't on par. See, it was very difficult... no... it was impossible to find any mention of you on the web, IMDB, etc. Looks like only the truly successful people can remain completely anonymous on the web these days. Bugger.

Quote:
...nice acoustic pianos by the way...

Why, thank you! Though I can't take credit for the programming of those sounds I find the stock Oasys acoustic piano to be VERY playable.

Quote:
Embarassed

Oh, you didn't mean it after all... boo hoo...

Quote:
...you might want to play a real piano before you try to sample or model one...

Alright. I'll do just that! One moment please...

[Ski reaches over and plays a little ditty on his Yamaha C7. He pauses to consider that he's been playing piano for 40 years, and then resumes typing]

...Well, I'm back. My, what an interesting instrument the piano is! "Pee-ah-no" you say? Or is it "pyah-no"? In any event, if you could point me to some .mp3 piano recordings of yours on web, or perhaps a discography of some kind so I can hear your work, I'd be happy to listen and learn what a real piano sounds like.

In any event, it has been fun replying to your threads, particularly since you said on Page 5 that you were outta here. I love those little "I'm outta here" tantrums that people throw on forums. It especially adds to their credibility when they come back for just one more last word after another.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
Gentlemen:
Hate to add any more wood to the fire, but Yellow Tools have just released a 2 GB sampler that costs a staggering....................nought.

Lars,

"Independence Free" is a nice gesture for people who want some free sounds. However this is probably a BAD sign for the $500 Independence sampler product -- i.e. it probably isn't selling very well:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Independence/

I assume this 2GB of free content is a subset of the 18GB of content that comes with the retail product, and it acts as a "teaser" to try to get people to demo the Independence sampler.

The big problem with Independence is there is no 3rd party content for it and software samplers live and die based on content. Currently NI Kontakt 2 is the most popular soft sampler, and there is tons of content for that product.

As for the "workstation versus large software sampler" debate, this has been covered numerous times. There are advantages and disadvantages of both products.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:

Hey, I noticed you are a sound designer for Korg, nice acoustic pianos by the way Embarassed, you might want to play a real piano before you try to sample or model one.

you're a complete IDIOT

don't embarrass yourself even further...

btw, if you're not satisfied with the sounds created by proffesional and talented well respected people, and used by famous and talented musicians, all over the World, and there's some newbie that doesn't ecen own OASYS starts showing his idiotism...
You can sample piano by yurself, and create your own sounds (if you can do that, probably not)
OASYS id obviosly a sampler also, it's alot of thing that's why it's called: Open Architecture Synthesis Studio
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:

Quote:
...you might want to play a real piano before you try to sample or model one...

Alright. I'll do just that! One moment please...

[Ski reaches over and plays a little ditty on his Yamaha C7. He pauses to consider that he's been playing piano for 40 years, and then resumes typing]

...Well, I'm back. My, what an interesting instrument the piano is! "Pee-ah-no" you say? Or is it "pyah-no"? In any event, if you could point me to some .mp3 piano recordings of yours on web, or perhaps a discography of some kind so I can hear your work, I'd be happy to listen and learn what a real piano sounds like.

ROFL

Ski, that was a good one - in case you get tired of music I suggest a 2nd career as a comedian! Wink
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Logic 8 Reply with quote

Logic 8 is here and I admit, it's not exactly mind blowing. I can't believe they didn't update the EXS sampler; and the inclusion of the jam packs - what were they thinking? Those samples were designed for Garageband - I expected a 24-bit 192 (Colossus style) library.

However, the new NI stuff that was also released today kind of compensates for the slight disappointment from Apple.

I am still ordering Logic 8 though, and I'll post some L8 samples up soon (including lots of acoustic piano for Ski Wink ), and we can compare it to the Oasys.
Count2Four123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/

well, this update looks nice, but it certainly isn't a PRO TOOLS or OASYS killer at all. So, we all can take a deep breath and go on with music making.

T.
rkarlberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeesh, nobody said that the Oasys was the best in every category! Obviously there will be specialized sample libraries that are better for certain instuments. But at 30GB a pop, how many of those can you use at once?? The oasys can give you everything at your fingertips, fully integrated, in a single package.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: