Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware Sequencer - Whats good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
I started with the thought that it was just a toy for triggering sliced loops, but I was very wrong ... and ended up being massively impressed with it's abilities.

I've got an appointment made with GC this afternoon to spend some time playing with one.. I'll let you know what I feel after doing so (Obviously without the benefits of the custom OS)

Cheers!

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Derm wrote:

While it may be a great sequencer, it would mean I would be paying that much on top of the Oasys price to compensate for the woeful state of the Oasys sequencer. So it looks like back to software & the computer for me.

Well your gonna wait a long time before you see something this worthy inside the Oasys,so the Price of the MV really is worth it IMO,take it from me this and the Oasys are the Dogs Bollocks,you couldn't get a better match all the power of the Oasys with the awesome sequencing abilities of the MV.

Yes.. and I agree with both you and Sina172 that the 8800 is a pretty damn good piece of equipment, of that I have no doubt or arguments. However, as I said, my two main issues are the fact I will be paying for something that i will not use fully.. (though I agree with your points that, this is not always a factor when you look at the big picture) but also... that it's a big beast to transport around. Compared to something like the 1K or a cheapie Yamaha, that may be all I need in terms of what I will use ot for...

Also, If I was going to use the 8800 in my studio on a regular basis then I would probably go for one without hesitation.. but, as you may or may not know.. I rarely use sequencers when I am working on my own stuff.. and the only reason I need one now is becuase I have been contracted to provide live music for a very small stage show I have been working on.. and I simply cannot play it all live and there is no budget to pay for extra musicians either so I will have to use backing tracks.. which I won't be able to tweak on the fly to fit different situations I might find on the road.. or find a simple sequencer that is reliable and roadworthy.. but which probably won't get much use after I am done with the show. (Though having said that.. well, you never know what the future might bring!)

Anyhow.. thanks for the feedback.. I'm off to play with a 1K later today.. and Im going to dig around the second hand ads to see what else is still available.. but if I don't find anything else that really does what I need it to do, I might have to settle on a 8800 after all as that does fit my needs from a musical point of view.. if not any of the others.

Cheers..

Nigel

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further question.. from a workflow point of view..

As I don't use external sequencers that much with the Oasys.. I'm thinking about doing the following.. in order to get things working in a simple but effective manner.

Set up the sounds I want in the Oasys via it's internal sequencer page.. fx routing, midi channels etc.. and then save that out as the initial config file for each song. All I have to do then is load in the config seq file from the Oasys's HD and record or load the song into the hardware sequencer and away I go..

Best way.. or is there another path I should look into?

Nigel

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would (and do) use Combis for that purpose. Combis for me are just multi-timbral/FX setups that are easy to recall when using an external sequencer.

Regarding not using the "extra" functionality on an MV or MPC type unit; I think if you had one you would probably find the drum/sample capabilities would be something you'd find very useful. Playing/programming drum patterns using those pads is quite a nice way to work and the pads can be setup to do other interesting things like trigger patterns and so forth, much like the pattern triggering capabilities in Ableton Live. Good for arranging via performance. With multi-track patterns it works very well, RPPR++.

Daz.
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
I would (and do) use Combis for that purpose. Combis for me are just multi-timbral/FX setups that are easy to recall when using an external sequencer.

Regarding not using the "extra" functionality on an MV or MPC type unit; I think if you had one you would probably find the drum/sample capabilities would be something you'd find very useful. Playing/programming drum patterns using those pads is quite a nice way to work and the pads can be setup to do other interesting things like trigger patterns and so forth, much like the pattern triggering capabilities in Ableton Live. Good for arranging via performance. With multi-track patterns it works very well, RPPR++.

Daz.

Ah.. ok.. I didn't think about using combis for that purpose... Heh.. you would have thought that would have been an obvious thing for me to know wouldn't you!

Thanks Daz.. as always.. Off to go demo the 1k now.. bbiab..

Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag66 wrote:
One further question.. from a workflow point of view..

As I don't use external sequencers that much with the Oasys.. I'm thinking about doing the following.. in order to get things working in a simple but effective manner.

Set up the sounds I want in the Oasys via it's internal sequencer page.. fx routing, midi channels etc.. and then save that out as the initial config file for each song. All I have to do then is load in the config seq file from the Oasys's HD and record or load the song into the hardware sequencer and away I go..

Best way.. or is there another path I should look into?

Nigel

Why bother with the Seq setup,why not save those configurations as Combis..you have after all 16 timbres to play with,if your gonna be editing the songs as templates,then you may as well make them into combis then there always in the Synth without having to load them fro mthe H/D

I used to just use the seqeuncer as a template to setup the routing etc,I was always sequencing via External means so just loaded up the song file either from the Triton EX Compact flash or sys exclusive dump at the start of the song file

One great thing about the Oasys is I now don't have to bother setting those songs up before I play the songs and save the Data to media before powering up,I just simply do my edits in Combi Mode as I would have done for the song in seq mode and save it as a combi then use Program changes to call up those Combis when I want to play the songs..if I want to record into the internal seq,I only have to use the "Copy from Combi" method.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

Daz.

Pipped me to the Post Wink
Mag66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.. so after doing a few try outs with various different bits of gear.. (and I have to admit the MV-8800 was the only bit to really tempt me) I finally came across a great deal on a brand new Macbook Pro (The newest one, top of the range with the 17" Hi-rez screen) that I would have been crazy to turn down.. so it's winging it's way to me as I type and should be here by Friday.

So, next up.. a simple Audio/Midi Firewire interface that can go on the road. I've been looking at the Alesis IO26 or even the cheaper IO14.. Anyone got any comments about these? I can get a 26 for less than $300 new and shipped.. The only other interface I looked at around that price was one of the M-Audio Firewire ones.. The 410.. Any comments in regards to that one? I think I'm probably going to go the Alesis route as I really don't need too many features other than a few inputs.. and a simple single midi i/o for the Oasys... but I'll take other suggestions in the mean time?

Oh, I also picked up Logic Studio for a steal along with the Mac itself.. so it looks like I am going to have to learn that now too Smile

Cheers..

Nigel

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mag66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has the 7200 drive already inside.. and yeah, I was looking at the Motu, nice unit but it's a shame it doesn't have more Analog inputs (Only 6). However I can get a good deal one with DP5 for an extra $300.. as part of the Crossgrade pricing so I might go for that.. Don't know yet though as i am already getting Logig 8 Studio so DP might just be luxury bonus.. though I know Stephen is a big fan of DP so who knows... Maybe I should give it a whirl.. It has a 30 day try and return policy without any restocking fee so what the heck if I go that route.

I have to say I used an IO26 with a PC a few months ago and I found the sound via the Analog Inputs pretty good but maybe my ears are a little different to yours... The Motu sure looks rugged though and might well be better suited to life on the road. This is going to be a tough one I think.. Anyone else.. got any other opinions?

Cheers..

Nigel

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh ... an interesting twist. Congrats on the Mac/Logic combo, definitely approved of here Wink

If MOTU or RME don't fit your budget I wonder if you might be better off looking towards Presonus rather than Alesis or M-Audio.
bctines

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel,
Glad you did the MBP. Was going to suggest that, then Shazam!...you went and did it. It may be a good choice for another reason: Logic, should you feel the urge, has some nifty plug-ins you can use to augment the OASYS. The MBP is also much more versatile than a sequencer alone, and not much more expensive. Great choice!

My MBP interface is a Presonus Firebox. Rock solid. Easy to chain an HDD to it if you want. Simple. Bus powered or Wall-Wart. Very portable. Wart is not needed with the Firebox solo.

I like FireWire because it seems more reliable and less trouble than USB.

I use a Gator Studio Gig bag which holds the MPB in the top lap top section and has a rack below. Into the rack goes a shelf to which I Velcro the Firebox and a Glyph HDD (might be unnecessary for you). Easy to carry. Easy to use. Pretty good protection.

But since I'm a bit backside retentive, I put the MBP into a Mac-Truck case that fits inside the bag's laptop pocket. Just adds about 5 lbs.

A tip: Whatever interface you use, figure a way to secure the interface's plug into the MBP port (USB or FW). Mr. Murphy will ensure that those ports will let go of the plug at the worst time. They're not very secure on the MBP. I use gaffer tape.

You're gonna love that screen on the MBP!
Mag66

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to sound like a walking ad for a particular company, the following is the deal I got from Ecomelectronics.com for anyone who is interested.

One 2.4ghz 17" Macbook Pro with 4 Gigs 6ns Memory, the upgraded High Rez Screen and 7200 rpm Drive... and a 'free' Hard shell Case - Total price inc memory after doing a lot of haggling and declining the various memory ("Manufactorers coupons") offers initially.. and the full, not acedemic version of Logic Studio.. (of which they had only two copies that they normally don't carry but were special ordered by another customer who then "dropped out due to financial issues") we settled at $2997.40 inc 2 day shipping when I paid via paypal.

If I had bought the exact same setup from Apple the deal would have cost well over $4400 inc tax... so I'm pretty happy with the deal done!

A word of 'warning' so to speak.. The initial price was much higher.. though still cheaper than anywhere else I could find on the net but after they called me to 'confirm the sale' they try and talk you into a lot of upsells.. The extra two gigs of memory for example.. was one of these upsells and this started at $500 inc a $200 rebate for the unused original memory in the MBP. After three more calls from them after I had declined the original offer.. they kept 'finding' coupons that reduced the memory price, evenually getting down to the final deal of $249, half the price of what they started at.. so be prepared to wheel and deal and be tough and they will drop their prices substanially. The Logic deal was a one off so you will have to find your own deal on that elsewhere as they sold both copies they had now and they don't normally carry it at all. The original base price at Ecom for the MBP with 2 gigs mem, High Rez screen and faster drive was $2549 inc free 2 day shipping... which is still a great deal by itself.

I also finally settled and ordered the Motu with crossgraded DP5 which I got off of Ebay for $723.60 with 2 day shipping.

Should have everything by Monday and then it's time to do some serious work.. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: