Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using mpk88 to control kronos 61?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned my MPK88.

There was a lot I loved about it.

The keyboard had a nice feel/touch in my opinion, but I also found that the keys tended to have sharp edges. Hard to explain really, depended on how I was playing it. Play in certain ways and it was perfect, play in other ways and it really hurt/caught my fingers (on my Trident extreme 88, I don't get this however I play).

But the reason I ended up returning it was the annoying rattle coming from around the transport buttons that drove me mad. When playing though speakers, made it sound like the speakers were rattling.

I had a look inside and everything was screwed up tightly.

Same problem as this guy shows on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQxjsd3hWaA

I googled and lots of people had exactly the same experiences for example

Quote:
The key action is OK, I prefer Fatar actions and also the edges of the keys themselves I found were quite sharp - i.e. as you played across the keyboard quickly my fat fingers hurt!- which I just felt they were a bit cheaply made and not finished off..

Quote:
I checked out this keyboard with full intention to buy, but I felt the quality (as in "low") was a serious issue. The keys actually still have the flashing (left-over plastic from the mould) on them! Even the Casio sitting nearby had better quality finishing to their keys than this Akai!

Quote:
Also, the TRANSPORT buttons rattle a little if the player (i.e. me!) is depressing the middle keyboard keys but I found by putting some pressure on them that this quickly disappeared. Also, it's only evident when the MONITOR Volume is very very low so for most this rattling is not an issue. It is something that AKAI should look at from a Quality improvement perspective though! The rest of the quality is excellent and robust and I hope that you don't feel as though I'm deliberately trying to give the MPK88 a rough ride.

I also found the support to be very bad, Akai blaming the software, the company who wrote the software telling me to speak to Akai

When I asked the music store if I could change for something else, the manager made a very scathing comment to the quality of it and said he wasn't surprised in the slightest I had returned it and he personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

However, I think the music store manager was a little harsh. I play a lot of piano at fairly low volume during the evenings and don't like wearing headphones all the time, hence for me, the rattling became a huge problem. But I do think it's a good piece of kit for the price and I suspect many many people will love it. I just think that for very little extra cost, it could have been so much better
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,I have just purchased an MPK88 to have as a main weighted controllor for the studio it was the only one I liked after testing a few,(should arrive sometime next week)the model I tested in the shop was fine and didn't appear to have any noticeable vibration or rattling problem and I would expect an abused model would show poor build qualities up after a little excessive use in a shop

I wasn't aware of the quality problems some appear to have had,I always take much of the problems with a pinch of salt anyhow until I find it out for myself,it was the only weighted controllor for the price that had a lot of features and ease of use as well as a nice playing feel shall see how the build stands up when it arrives.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your one will be fine.

It's not as though there are 100's of youtube vids showing the rattling, just that when I had it and saw others also had it, kind of put me off getting the shop to order a new one in.

As I say, there was a LOT I liked about it and think you will be very happy with it.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, Zeroesque, now that I remember, you said I can either use a USB or MIDI cable to control the Kronos with the Privia. which one would you recommend?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
keekma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
sorry to barge in the conversation about midi controlling, guys, but I'm also about to get the 61-note Kronos and was hoping to control it with a Privia px330 piano. this one has both the standard MIDI out/in and the USB port.

do you think I could use the USB port instead of the standard one to control the K?

on an unrelated matter (maybe not so much...), I guess I could use ALL the controls/faders/knobs ON the K-61 even if I'm playing its sounds on the Casio, right? what I mean is, let's suppose I'm playing Kronos' sounds on the Privia and want to modifiy them in real time, live, could I do that ON the K-61 while holding notes on the Privia?

thanks!

There is a way to use the controllers of the Kronos when playing the midikeyboard. I discovered that you can use the drawbars and all the other controls on the Kronos with your midi keyboard, when the Karma button is on. Just connect your midikeyboard with usb or midi. When you dont want the karmamodules actually to work, just change the midichannels of the modules to a channel you dont use. You even can use your sustainpedal connected to the Kronos with the midikeyboard. It works in my setup.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
countrycreek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on kronos and mpk if you're using midi out are you using a power supply or usb power?

km 200 Hartke (2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: