Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volume issues with korgs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Spheric El and Re-Member for your help and valuable suggestions. Sorry, it takes me awhile to get home from work.

I am pretty ok with the volcas build material. I try to be mindful and careful not be forceful. While material matters, if the quality is acceptable I can live with the plastic casing.

So, if the USB stacks DAW tracks into one , is the solution to record separately and mix from that point on? How do you record from Non-USB mixer to a DAW? Audio interface between non-usb 'd mixer and computer?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a DAW.I record live jams onto a stereo signal on a CD recorder or onto Audacity.Or use a Fostex 8 track.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what mixer do you use?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammanuel wrote:
So, if the USB stacks DAW tracks into one , is the solution to record separately and mix from that point on? How do you record from Non-USB mixer to a DAW? Audio interface between non-usb 'd mixer and computer?

I use two recorders. I have a Tascam DR-40 which I use for live jams, practice sessions and rough demos, then when I'm finally ready to record a full length song into my DAW, I have a Tascam US-100 hooked up to my mixer with two RCA jacks. When I'm tracking from the mixer, everything gets recorded separately, one instrument at a time.

While recording everything separately sounds a bit tedious these days when multitrack recorders keep getting more and more affordable, it's what I've been used to for the past fifteen years of playing in different bands and trying to do everything as cheap as possible, haha.

Even when I've paid to have a professional producer do some recordings for a band I was in, we couldn't just do it all live in one take. He made us track it all down one piece at a time. Once you get used to it, it isn't too difficult. To me, it feels like painting layer after layer.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot to be said about sticking with what you know that works.
And it's easy to get bogged down with buyin too much new too quick and reading reviews,thinking of the next thing (...and ,er,chatting on forums).
I have a Yamaha O1v digital desk hooked up to Fostex D108 and also use a 2nd desk for my turntables and Kaoss pads.That acts as a modular synth in its self (metaphorically) and its a Studiomaster Fusion.Decent analogue for the price- good the way it combines 3mono inputs with 2 switchable stereo line and 2phono for turntables.
I'm about to set up a third mixer for table top gear as my O1v is crowded. A Yamaha MG12/4 .Its a capable analogue that I picked up for £50. It will sit on my coffee table with Monotribe,VolcaKeys,OP-1,MonoTrons,Original Kaossilator and maybe some Pocket Operators (when Dawsons gets them in).Then hook this to the DJ mixer,which itself goes through the KP matrix into the O1v,this desk returns signal to the others(FX sends).
Over all the DJ mixer is my most important (the Fusion -but any decent DJ mixer is good for performance -I use a Stanton SMX-501 when I leave the house...or my battery operated Prosound MY95.This last one is very cool.Cheap,fits in a camera bag and compliments other battery op portables.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the arrangement of your set-up ( helpful information to understand why and what the function of the devices are) . Sound like you have figured out whats best for you without succumbing to the temptation of the new and latest syndrome.
I may have resolved for the time being my volume issue by plugging in my RCA to the Aux in of my Hi-FI system and outputting the 3.5 stereo tip of the RCA into the good old ROCKSTAR, which is outputting the sound to my PC Woofer/speakers. I have the two sets of speakers outputting the devices including the iPad. The volume for the KP, Pro and MicroKrog still goes down when i start the Volca series ( Beats being the most prominent ). I turn the volume for the micro and KPs up.

I really appreciate you patience and generosity.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have to flip a coin for the A&H or Behringer dilemma, since you both gentlemen have had positive experiences.I found on craigslist both (Behringer 12 channel) for 160 and 180 ($) respectively.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me ,I'd go for the A&H.
Sounds like a good work around with the two speakers and I have been thinking of doing this myself.I always have a X-mini mobile speaker handy (which was £7-50,so worth it for what I get).
About the mixer, if you plan on using the KP in a send /return arrangement (so you can quickly choose which instruments are rooted with the mixers effects send control on each channel) I can highly recommend get one that allows Pre-Fade send,as well or instead of Post-Fade send.It works with the full compliment of the KPs effects better.Its sometimes referred to Monitor Out on some desks.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for now till i get the mixer ( the Volcas are some loud beasts...unless its because of the relative amp/voltage release or need is whats keeping the micro and KPs much less audible ...or its a matter of appropriate.cables like you mentioned).

I founds this description for the A&H Zed 10 regarding the FX send. Is that what you recommended to look for ( to integrate KPs effects to the mixer?
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps forgot to paste it

SEND OPTIONS
1) Main Mix Left + Right (Post master Level)
2) Aux + FX bus (Aux is a pre-fade send, FX is a post-fade send)
3) Record Bus Left + Right (Separate stereo bus to Main Mix)
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good.Looks like exactly what I was talking about ,with plenty of options for you to grow into and experiment with.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a bid for the mixer. waiting for the persons response.

When i do happen to receive it should i consider getting stereo (female) to Mono 1/4(male) adapter for the Volcas and and KPs?The micro has a 1/4 line input, i have been using mono left and right to 3.5stereo for the rockstar. Do i need to splitter for left and right?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good desk.You've picked a good one and I hope you win your bid.
Here's a review ,
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/allenheath-zed10fx.htm
It may seem a little complex to work out how to wire a desk best,especially if this is your first and this gives choices.Its just a matter of getting anough cables to at least get everything on and working,then get your muscle memory for its routing in the out put sections.
It may require some botching of wires and compromises at first as you collect more cables.
I connect my Micro Korg with just one Mono 1/4 inch Jack and sacrifice its stereo FX,just plug left channel into a mono output.If all my stereo synths use both jacks I have to use two mono channels panned L&R and this is often a waist of inputs and a synth in mono is ok.Its the same with a Volca- you could hog a stereo input by using a mini to two phone/jacks cable a use a stereo channel on the desk,but maybe use the same cable with just one channel into a mono input.The four first mono channels have a better EQ.Its up to you which takes priority for the stereo inputs.You may well want your MicroKorg in one of these.I would plug the KP3 into a stereo pair and feed the KP In with the Monitor out sockets.I think these are two mono jacks so you will need Jacks to Phonos (If my memory is correct).
You have inputs on your iPad and MicroKorg so you may want to plug into them with something else (an instrument directly into ipad)like you already have.
It always takes some thought when first wiring a new desk(use some paper to draw a flow diagram) then this often changes some once your working,buying more.
The KaOscillator may well want a stereo input.
It's hard to completely advise on what cables to buy without seeing exactly what you have already.
Is it a KO pro you have?

Last edited by Spheric El on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like every channel on the Zed has mono or stereo jack inputs,were the stereo channels have a choice of phono aswell.So any equipment like the MicroKorg that has jack out,use straight Jacks.There is only limited aux out (less than I thought).If you do win this bid,then I would feed the KP3 with the monitor out like I said- this will require two Mono Jacks>Phono pair- then you are left with just a stereo headphone socket to feed either your MicroKorg input(Is this the original MK or the XL?) or the iPad. Or you could plug other gear into these direct, like you already have.
It looks like you have a lot of mini jacks in stereo for the rest of your gear.The KP 3 can use phono>phono.Volca Stereo mini to two 1/4 Mono jacks then just use one of them into a mono channel.(mini jack to phono if that's what you have already,then one cheap phono>jack converter). iPad minijack>stereo phono if that's available ,into a stereo channel,or mini>two mono jacks will also work. If your KO is a pro then straight Phonos will be fine.

Last edited by Spheric El on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link and for the good luck. I'm not getting the 10fx tho it's the zed 10. Maybe I should get the zed 10fx.

That's a wealth of info to start up with. Yes, it's my first mixer and the Volcas were my first dealing with cables and where they go and for what ...Smile I thought phono meant mono etc...like you said tho it's figurng out the in and outs of the routes.

Volca series, MicroKorg, KP3+ and Kaoss Pro, and IPad mini, griffin imic and apple lightening to USB Camera Adapter.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: