Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 EXPANDED - OR NOT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dead battery in my camera (and used the SD card FROM my camera to upgrade the m3 - sorry, no pictures.

BUT

Download this, page 2 is a picture of the inside:

http://neo-genesis.net/korgm3m/2StickyPadsKorgM3M.pdf

Right above the letters "KI" is the SD slot. You can probably replace it by opening the slot that holds the RADIAS card.

You can upgrade all the way up to 2GB as long as you leave it formatted FAT16. I used a 1GB as it's over 1/2 empty and I don't see Korg releasing any (or many) more expansions libraries.

From start to finish, took me about 10 minutes.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jmexio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad for you!! Smile

This looks like the thing to day the minute the warranty expires...

And good confirmation from someone else that the M3 INDEED loads KEPs from internal memory. The only problem is most units as of today have a smaller 256 MB card. That problem is old news now. Very Happy

See ya
Stefanus Wayanartha

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mchale, after replacing the old M3's SD card, does the M3 loading speed inscrease?? is there another effect by replacing the SD? Thank you for your brave contribution Smile...awsome!!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use a high speed SD card, just a standard Sandisk 1GB. I may pick up a high speed and see how much of a speed increase it gets.

I honestly can't tell if it's loading faster or not with the standard Sandisk.

Is there an official time for bootup?

The main reason I did it was to have the expansions on there (and any future expansions). External thumb drives are VERY bad for frequent gigging.

Tomorrow night, I'll time it from ON to playing and give split times for OS, and each expansion.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Stefanus Wayanartha

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've try to record my M3's loading speed. Here is the log:
OS 2.0.1 loading time: 47.5 seconds
EX-USB03 loading time: 16.3 seconds..

I dont know if Korg has their own official loading time record Smile I wonder how is the M3's loading speed if i put a hi-speed SD card inside...

did you make all of the Expansions autoload? how long is the loading time?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have all four expansions autoloading.

I'm shut down for the night. It's nearly 1am and I have to get up at 6am for work. Tomorrow, I'll give the time splits. Should help...

A faster card may or may not help the M3 load faster. The M3 may be limited on it's own hardware and how fast it can process the information and not necessarily the SD card. BUT, I would think ANY little speed increase should help!

-Mc
jimmy1

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - this thread has grown!

I have one more question: Is there anyway (with model numbers maybe) that I can tell if Im buying a newly made model?

My local music store says they stock expanded and non-expanded and canot be sure which model they would be selling me?

Any clues on the box?

And reading about the button wording rubbing off issues Id like to buy a model build in the last 6 months.
jmexio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy1 wrote:
I have one more question: Is there anyway (with model numbers maybe) that I can tell if Im buying a newly made model?

Well, the serial obviously tells you when it has been manufactured. The problem is we dont know exactly when the revision for larger SD was made. I can tell you my serial (4395), but serials for different versions are different, so it will not help for 73 or 61 versions (I have 8Cool, plus maybe a lower serial than mine is also updated, we cannot be sure...

My box says expanded like the others (I think), and has no visible differences from any other unit, other than the expanded logo that has been around for a while, as far as I know.

Cheers!
jmexio

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on this. My unit came with the sticker that says XPANDED under the m3 logo on the lower right corner of the front panel already in place. It seems from what I read that if your unit is not xpanded from factory you will get the sticker separately, and you will need to put it yourself.

That might be a way to tell the units apart. You would need to open the box by cutting the tape, and look at the front panel under the protective plastic sheet. No need to unpack anything, just cut the tape, open the flaps of the box and stare at the M3 without disturbing anything inside, not even touching, as the protective sheet is transparent enough to see trough.

That is, unless the dealer itself performs the upgrade for your convinience, as Sweetwater does. In that case, I would guess you get the sticker on, but the old USB drive with small SD inside.

Hope that helps.
jimmy1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input all - I hope to contribute to this website once I have a M3 all of my own Wink (gotta fix my sick car first though)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: