Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Patches in MicroKorg SoundEditor (OSX)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobzarzal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Loading Patches in MicroKorg SoundEditor (OSX) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a microKorg and downloaded the editor for Tiger (Mac OSX) and downloaded a number of different patches for both the MK and the MS2000. The file extentions are .syx and .prg. When I open up sound editor and try to open them, they are all greyed out (the program won't let me select them to open them). Anyone know why this is happening? Are these patches the wrong file type or is there another way to open them in the sound editor? Once I open them, how do I put transfer them to the MK?
I know these must be very basic questions, but I've looked all over the message boards and on Korg's site and haven't been able to find an answer. Any help would be much appreciated!

Joey
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joey,

I am not that familiar with the microKorg editor ... I am an MS2000 owner but here are my 2c on this.

Most of the patch/sound files you'll find on the net are in .syx format ... these are files that contain raw MIDI System Exclusive messages containing sound settings. You can send those to files to your microKorg via MIDI using free software :

PC : http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/
Mac : http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

... however the microKorg editor stores sounds in a different format (.prg files IIRC) and it can't load .syx files. So you'll need to send the sysex data to your microKorg as described above. Having done that use the microKorg editor to get the data from the synth and save it to .prg format. I don't think the microKorg editor can just import the sysex and convert the data to .prg format on its own.

Alternately you might like to use one of my programs to audition sounds without all the messing :

http://daz.korgforums.com

... check out MS2KSyxplorer for PC or the MS2KLibrarian for the Mac.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
I don't think the microKorg editor can just import the sysex and convert the data to .prg format on its own.

I will try to verify this ...

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see an option in the Mac OS X microKorg editor for importing Sysex (.syx) files, it certainly doesn't like MS2000 sysex anyway (which most of the material you'll find) ... you'll have to send them to the microK using the Mac OS X proggies I described above I guess.

HTH,

Daz.
bobzarzal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Thanks for your responses and help. The sysex librarian app you created works great with syx files, but does not open the prg files. You mentioned that the prg files are used with the microkorg sound editor app... but I can't seem to get any of them to open in that application. I know you aren't a MK user, but would you have any ideas why this would be the case? Or do you know of any apps that would convert a prg to a syx so that I could just use your librarian?

Thanks again,

Joey
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joey,

I don't know of a prg -> syx converter. The files used by the microKorg Editor are Korg's own propietary format. Also I think the Mac and Windows versions of that editor are different too (they certainly look totally different) so the .prg files used by the Windows microKorg editor might not be readable by the Mac flavoured editor.

Confused Wink

I'll try to find out more ...

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered something quite interesting about the .prg used by the Windows microKorg editor. They are in fact just the Program Sysex data wrapped up in a standard MIDI file. If you change the name of a .prg file to have the extension .mid you can import it into whatever MIDI software you have. I was able to do this using my MS2KPatchBuddy software (for PC), which is able to read MS2K sysex data from a standard MIDI file.

Daz.
markgold331

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Transfering patches Reply with quote

I'm trying to transfer a patch from my Microkorg to my MS2000B is there any way i can do that??

- Mark Gold
javibent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand some much english , so plz can u tell me again how can i put the syx files on my microkorg , plz .
ghostly606

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

1. Install an application that can transmit .sysex messages in OSX. I use SySex Librarian.
2. Connect your microKORG to your mac using your midi interface.
3. Change the MIDI filter setting on your microKORG so it can receive system exclusive messages (p60 of manual, shift+4 then turn knob 4 to "E-E", press shift or 4 key to confirm).
4. Play the .sysex file using your software.

Done.

Alesis Micron - Patch a Day
MicroKorg - Patch a Week
MS-20 - Patch a Week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: