Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Sample vs Electribe Sampler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Volca Sample vs Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

Anyone have both and care to share what they like about each in comparison? Not so much specs, but workflow things you maybe didn't expect, things you wish were different after using one compared to the other, etc?
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Volca Sample vs Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Anyone have both and care to share what they like about each in comparison? Not so much specs, but workflow things you maybe didn't expect, things you wish were different after using one compared to the other, etc?

Franz K?
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one. After I figure out the ES2 exporting fiasco, I expect the two of them will be sweet together playing on the street.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Volca sample a while back to tide me over while I waited for the Electribe Sampler to be released. The Volca sample's biggest win is immediacy. I think it's just a tiny version of an ESX but because it is much more limited I think it's less intimidating so you get straight to making music a lot faster. Not having a menu is a big reason Korg pulled this off so well. Aside from that, performing on this thing is fast and easy. I do find myself wishing the Volca had the ability to store more than 10 patterns at a time and that I could somehow archive these patterns. It's also worth mentioning that loading samples on this thing is kind of a pain in the ass.

The electribe sampler answered my prayers (especially after the E2S Sample Editor came out). The E2S is a lot more complicated and I wouldn't say that someone could easily transition from the Volca to one of these and start making patterns right away. That said, once I learned my way around the menus everything became second nature and I am now working with a speed I once thought only possible on the Volca. So now I have the workflow I wanted and I don't run out of patterns either. More variety of sound, and loading samples is much easier. I wish above all things that there wasn't that issue where sounds don't carry into a new pattern - would change the sampler from a great writing sketchpad to a fully workable performance device for me.

Still, as much as I love the electribe sampler (it's my favorite piece of gear maybe ever) I almost feel like a Volca Sample with SD card sample import, 99 pattern slots and longer song mode probably would have done the trick for me.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pain of transferring samples to the Volca is greatly exagerated. Try Caustic Soda's editor, or Frederikson Labs which allows you to even create kits and patterns from the editor. It takes awhile, of course, which gives you time to make coffee while it prepares.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I guess I should have at least looked at the specs. I don't own an iOS device. Is there another way of loading samples?
Buska

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
Lol, I guess I should have at least looked at the specs. I don't own an iOS device. Is there another way of loading samples?

Yes many, even a free web page that does it.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded Caustic Editor for Android, thanks guys!
Proppa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tarekith I have both sire - got the Volca Sample first and expected to like it a lot - very quickly found myself Loving it full stop.

The Electribe Sampler fills a need I've had since ditching my physically faulty MPC2500 (in a constant state of falling apart with unforgivably bad build quality) and the MPC500 (decent build but deal-breaking menu-diving workflow). The Electribe Sampler has been more / less an add-great-samples can't-help-but-make-great-things with device. The Save system is far less than ideal but overall I think this machine is drastically underrated and capable of magic.

The Volca Sample by comparison is even More conducive to "fast magic". There's a few things about it that in my experience are unique to the Volca itself and overall every spec-limitation is somehow a positive creative attribute: The so-called "lo-fi" sound is actually very punchy and warm .. whatever's going on under the hood of the Volca tends to almost magically unify sample sets in a way people speak of the sp1200 etc doing. There's nothing negative about the sound quality whatsoever to my ears: it pounds and cuts through.

Ten samples in a 16 step pattern is not a lot but with p-locking that is actually Superior to the Electribe Sampler the Volca very quickly becomes a box of massive potential and very, very fun results.

Overall here's the key differences between the two in my mind:
* The Volca form factor is very small so while it's Super fun to use sessions with it feel more like "tweaking" than laying into the physical format of the very solid Electribe Sampler. The latter is akin to MPC's of yore etc while the Volca has the feel of a toy which happens to be fully capable of monster-level results.

* The Electribe's "true" character means that sounds are just as clear coming out as when put in: Great for clarity and precision but a bit "colder" than the Volca's warmness. The Volca also has the two "Analogue Isolator" knobs which sound Fantastic. The Volca is an extremely immediate sample mangler: between the start-point looping function and the p-locking per step it's just a thing of joy.

* For me the Electribe Sampler successfully replaces other "centerpiece" candidate samplers and is my go-to pre-DAW machine. Despite it's limitations in file management, total sample time, and a Song mode it's still capable of More than my former all-in-on MPC's (YMMV).

* The Volca Sample cannot help itself from being fun to use and produce great things faster than anything else I can think of including any software. To a large degree the users own sample selection going in will determine the level of satisfaction achievable but with samples you're passionate about the Volca is a slam dunk. And for the price of entry and absolute no-brainer in my opinion.

Hope that helps - x
robotunes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my workflow, volca is inspirational and e2s is utilitarian. but if i had to choose, the e2s would stay.

i treat the volca and most of my other gear as fodder for the e2s, which i use to create homegrown sample packs for the octatrack. both do their jobs well.

volca:
* 31.25k sample rate is noticeable. sounds better with external effects.
* active step mode is fun and useful. wish e2s had it.
* ability to p-lock a different sample per step gives it more variety than you'd expect.
* the analog isolator knobs significantly affect tone in a good way.
* inability to save patterns and banks is a big bummer.
* immediacy is sooooooo fun. can't help creating patterns that i like.
* p-locking medodies/basslines is a minor annoyance.
* i use caustic's effects and trimming fearures to make characterful samples not just for the volca but for all my hardware and iOS samplers. never would have known about caustic if not for the volca sample.

e2s
* it's my go-to X0X hardware controller for iOS and laptop. that's why i also appreciate the touch pad, scales, chord mode, etc.
* it happily spits out stems for the octatrack/microsampler/ipad.
* menu diving isn't onerous, but it slows me down a tad even with the shortcuts.
* 4-voice paraphony jibes nicely with the octatrack's midi sequencer.
* despite 48k sample rate, sampled material doesn't sound its best until you apply effects.
* synth and filters are meh. glad they're there though.

overall:
the ipad and volca sample would've been enough to fill the role of "creator of sample packs for the octatrack," but the e2s neatly fills some workflow gaps.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both machines too. Since I own the E2S, the Volca Sample isn't longer in use. Because there are some show stoppers. First, the lack of any save or export functions: You have to live with a few patterns. If you want to create new stuff you have to delete/overwrite existing stuff. Second, the extremely cumbersome sample import/management. Third, the strange MIDI implementation of the Volca (you need an own channel for every part, nevertheless you can't play samples chromatically). But I have to admit that the fun factor of the Volca is slightly higher.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Volca, nor am i thinking of getting one. But somebody i know is in the middle of choosing between a Volca Sample and an Electribe Sampler. I shall point him towards this thread where he will find grown-up, balanced and well written opinions on the two machines. This was great reading people.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm interested in the Volca because I do almost all of my sampling with my iPHone and Rode iXY mic. Being able to immediately send those recordings to the Volca via the Caustic App would be a huge workflow benefit for me.

As much as I can appreciate the electribe sampler after playing with the hacked OS heavily the last week, at the same time I find it rather limiting and not as immersive as I want a sample mangler to be. Thus my interest in the Volca Sample.

Cheers guys!
Buska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that there is an iPhone app that let's you play samples on the volca chromatically Wink
Buska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lofi but cool, and free

http://appgravity.com/ios-apps/music-audio/ios:com-appspot-microvolcasample

Edit: that last one was removed from the App Store, but there's another:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/volca-sample-controller/id1029973310?mt=8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: