Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novation Circuit vs Korg Electribe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natrixgli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
You can switch sessions on the fly too though, right?

Yep, you launch them similar to scenes in Ableton. By default, session changes are quantized to the end of the longest pattern in the current session. However if you hold Shift, the change is immediate, quantized to a single beat.

What's cool is that since FX and note release is not choked, switching between sessions with different delay times can result in some pretty wacky sounds. You can hear it in the demos I posted above. Also re-launching the current session will return it to the last saved state which includes parameter settings, mutes, pattern selections, etc. So you can go nuts tweaking a pattern, then re-launch the session to return to default. (kind of like holding Function while tweaking parameters on a Machinedrum)
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grid of pads suggests that notes are auto-quantized. Can you record sequences with no quantization?
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
The grid of pads suggests that notes are auto-quantized. Can you record sequences with no quantization?

I thought in one of the demos they showed a shift function where you can nudge things off grid.....
Buska

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
sauce wrote:

I thought in one of the demos they showed a shift function where you can nudge things off grid.....

Yes they did, very cool feature. Also you can switch patterns mid pattern if you like, no need to stick to quantised launching
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
thesigma wrote:
sauce wrote:

Yes they did, very cool feature. Also you can switch patterns mid pattern if you like, no need to stick to quantised launching

That's what I thought. Still doesn't answer sauce's question though and I would be curious? any spec on the sequencers resolution in ppqn?
Buska

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
Buska wrote:
thesigma wrote:
sauce wrote:

That's what I thought. Still doesn't answer sauce's question though and I would be curious? any spec on the sequencers resolution in ppqn?

I would like to know this too
natrixgli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:

It's 16th notes, 4/4. The drum patterns are 16 steps, though synth patterns can be fewer than 16. (as few as 1 step.)

It does support per-step automation and step programming is WAY easier than the Electribe. Press and hold a step button, press the notes you want on that step. You can do that while the sequencer is running. However programming step automation requires stopping the sequencer. (real time automation can be recorded with the sequencer running.)

One handy feature is that when you press a step while the sequencer is stopped, you will hear the notes and automation recorded on that step. You can copy/paste steps, patterns, and sessions.
timbeaux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait till it arrives at home. thx 4 sharing some of your demos.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the info about the Circuit. I defintiely have my eye on one of those but I'm waiting until it's in the wild and I can see more videos of people using it.

One question I have is (open to anyone who thinks they can answer it!):

Would it ever be possible to use the Circuit sequencer to sequence the electribe sampler? For example, I think it would be cool to use my electribe sampler as a sound module/manipulator but actually play notes and chords and sequence on the Circuit. This potentially would give you the ability to make 8 bar patterns, and technically even longer phrases too since the Circuit seems like it has no trouble jumping around to different patterns. And since you wouldn't be relying on the electribe's pattern switching ever technically sounds should carry over into the next pattern with no issue.

You'd still probably run into voice stealing and you couldn't use recorded motion sequences (I don't think anyway) but it still sounds really cool to pair the devices in this way.
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT has MIDI out (on minijacks...booo) so you should be able to sequence, at least notes.

possible issues: only two synth parts, 4 drum parts, so as a sequencer for the electribe it would likely under utilize the electribe. I"d assume the two synth parts on their own midi ch and all drum parts on one so that could also be an issue with the electribes midi ch per pad schema. seems like it is fixed to synth ch 1 and 2 drums 10.

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/using-circuit-to-sequence-external-midi-instruments

i doubt you'd hit voice stealing with that few parts, though the novation has 6 note poly on its synth parts and the tribe is only 4 iirc.[/url]
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
thesigma wrote:
Buska wrote:
thesigma wrote:
sauce wrote:

I would like to know this too

I skimmed the manual and it appears the Nudge function shifts by 1 step so it does appear that everything is hard quantized to 16ths.....I suppose that's not surprising at this price point...
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also appears that only note and clock are sent via the physical midi ports

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/what-is-sent-via-the-midi-ports

CC, Note are sent on the usb midi....WTF????

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/what-is-the-usb-socket-used-for
natrixgli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
It also appears that only note and clock are sent via the physical midi ports

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/what-is-sent-via-the-midi-ports

CC, Note are sent on the usb midi....WTF????

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/what-is-the-usb-socket-used-for

It sends note / clock / stop / start etc via DIN. USB sends everything. It has been shown to work with Kenton USB host devices though. Mode Machines has one coming out, too. It is class compliant.

Here's what it's sending via USB:

bladuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pan control... Correct ?
natrixgli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
No pan control... Correct ?

Yep, no pan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: