Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need to replace a broken key, is it difficult?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: I need to replace a broken key, is it difficult? Reply with quote

Hello,
I love my Kronos 88. I broke the key C below middle C Saturday night while setting up for a gig. Is it replaceable and what's my best means of getting this done? Anybody? Thanks for the help...
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send us a foto, may be it is repairable. Lately, I've fixed my Roland GW-7 LCD grafite cable, by warming it with hot soldering iron through a paper scotch. Otherwise most segments didn't show up. Thanks Kronos does not have such a cheap LCD.)
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aziz1008 wrote:
Send us a foto, may be it is repairable. Lately, I've fixed my Roland GW-7 LCD grafite cable, by warming it with hot soldering iron through a paper scotch. Otherwise most segments didn't show up. Thanks Kronos does not have such a cheap LCD.)

I'm not sure how to post a pic to this forum...I could put tape over it but would rather just replace the key entirely. I think it's probably going to be a job for a Korg Technician by the looks of things and I've found one.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of screws to take out to remove the base followed by removing several boards to get at the keybed. If you do decided to have a go, protect the vector and main joysticks from damage.
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There are a lot of screws to take out to remove the base followed by removing several boards to get at the keybed. If you do decided to have a go, protect the vector and main joysticks from damage.

Thank you. I've been inside it before having to clean up a red wine spill from some drunk chic at a gig and got that all cleaned up. It seems I've got to pull out the key bed entirely to get to that broken key? I'm intimidated some by those silvery grounding straps or whatever they are attached to the chassis by some adhesive. Knowing me I'll screw that up and it's probably important. I vacuumed out the inside which is good to do periodically anyways. I looked for the broken chunk of white key plastic but can't find it. I'll need to get that out of there too where ever it is. My guess is it's in that action somewhere.

I ordered a replacement key today from Parts Is Parts. I'll talk to a local Korg tech tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use caution with the VAC, it could produce a static charge to the unit.
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Use caution with the VAC, it could produce a static charge to the unit.

You raise a good point and duly noted. Thank you!
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own scale, dunno if Kronos has this feature or not ??
You could make your own scale by transposing an unused key's tuning to match the pitch of the broken key.
This is a temporary workaround until you get the problem fixed.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing a key is not all that complex. The pros: It's a mechanical fix, like changing a tire. Cons: When making the repair don't break anything else. Take pictures. Proceed slowly and methodically. You should be fine. I replaced keys in Rolands, Yamahas and Korgs. No big deal. I always look for youtube videos. They can help a lot if available.

Bottom line: If it really freaks you out, don't do it. However, if you have an average mechanical ability then I would give it a try. You can usually tell once you start if you are in over your head.
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
Replacing a key is not all that complex. The pros: It's a mechanical fix, like changing a tire. Cons: When making the repair don't break anything else. Take pictures. Proceed slowly and methodically. You should be fine. I replaced keys in Rolands, Yamahas and Korgs. No big deal. I always look for youtube videos. They can help a lot if available.

Bottom line: If it really freaks you out, don't do it. However, if you have an average mechanical ability then I would give it a try. You can usually tell once you start if you are in over your head.

This was helpful, and I'll check to see if there are any youtube videos that would talk me through it. It can't be that tough and I'd really like to know how to do it. Thank you...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Kronos, yet, but have replaced keys several times on Yamaha series synths.

Replacing the key is usually the easy bit. The hardest part is usually the disassembly to get to the keybed. Shocked

In general, if you can take things apart and get them back together without having too many bits or screws left over Shocked then you can replace a key on a keyboard. Smile

My guide for the key repair on the mighty SY99 is given below to give you a general idea of what might be involved (with the disclaimer that the Kronos could be completely different! Wink ).

http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk/Downloads/Yamaha_SY99_Keyboard_Repair_Procedure.pdf

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-tip: At least on the Kronos 61, you don't need to take anything apart to replace a key. Just press down (reasonably hard) at the end of the key closest to the pivot point to push the spring down and slide it forward and out. Installation the new key is just the reverse. If it's a black key, you need to remove the two surrounding white keys first.

I'm certain that this will not be applicable to the Kronos 73 or 88, but I've replaced numerous scratched keys on my Kronos 61 using this method.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Pro-tip: At least on the Kronos 61, you don't need to take anything apart to replace a key. Just press down (reasonably hard) at the end of the key closest to the pivot point to push the spring down and slide it forward and out. Installation the new key is just the reverse. If it's a black key, you need to remove the two surrounding white keys first.

I'm certain that this will not be applicable to the Kronos 73 or 88, but I've replaced numerous scratched keys on my Kronos 61 using this method.

That's worth knowing, thanks! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnstDabest wrote:
Make your own scale, dunno if Kronos has this feature or not ??
You could make your own scale by transposing an unused key's tuning to match the pitch of the broken key.
This is a temporary workaround until you get the problem fixed.

Interesting idea. So like I could tune they B key to C pitch, then tune the Bb key to play the B pitch, then the A key to play Bb...then take it the whole way down the keybed? Cool idea! I'll call it jazz! LOL
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:

I had no luck finding any youtubes for this, but I got a great tech here who's going to do this next week. I'm hopeful he'll let me sit in, watch and learn. I'll report back how this goes and thanks for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: