Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need alternative to floppy disks - CF Reader?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volkov73

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: I need alternative to floppy disks - CF Reader? Reply with quote

After days if searching the internet, I cannot find an answer.

What parts, and where can I buy them, in order to have something other than a floppy disk in my Classic Triton?

I most likely want CF Reader in place of the Floppy disk. I would be happy with an internal hard drive.

PLEASE can somebody guide me to complete this goal?

I want to use this instrument a lot but floppy disks are too faulty and small.

Happy to spend a bit of money on this mod.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this kind of thing?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231717463808

Or this:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381419454710

Neither are for CF cards, but would do the job.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit doing the floppy thing and went the SCSI route. Very fast loading, but as you probably know, you'll need to install the SCSI board/port, and get an external drive and cable. More stuff to haul to the gig. Confused
xini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just upgraded my floppy drive to a CF reader.
It wasn't easy but it was worth it.

First we a found a SCSI board, it came used from Europe.
Then the CF card reader came specially made from Japan. The RaizinMonster board fits in place of the floppy drive. You can find these on ebay.

Because SCSI boards are designed for external hard drives & I wanted an internal connection to the RaizinMonster, I had to fit the SCSI board facing in the opposite direction. To facilitate that, I asked the Raizin Monster man to make the cables the appropriate length - which he kindly did.

There was challenge in the form of ribbon cables but after ordering another and a male/female adaptor, a fair bit of dismantling and re-assembling the cables, and some origami, plus some shielding with an anti static plastic bag, we got it all working.
xini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB - the first CF cards we bought were too fast for the Triton to handle. It couldn't read them. We had to source older (ie slower) CF cards and they were successful.
leDan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: CF scsi Reply with quote

Nice xini. I hope you enjoy your "new" Triton Smile

Did Artmix actually make you a converter to allow for the scsi connector to be an internal one?

I was lucky enought to be one of the last ppl (?) to order one of the internal scsi kits from scsiforsamplers and is using a PCB-60 reader/writer with mine. The drawback with this unit is that the card protrudes some from the front of the unit (Artmix raizinmonster is better in this regard - i have one in my S5000 sampler right now).

Another good option is the scsi2sd unit. It is quite small and should probably manage with only terminator power to function externally (i.e build it into a small external casing and off you go): https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

I have one of these inside a Yamaha EX5R and it works beautifully there.
hartlas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this thread as I'm in the same position - wanting to use the sampling feature live more but getting pissed off with loading tons of floppies at each gig. I don't know much about the SCSI option - there are some on eBay for about £90 but then after buying it is it a) easy to fit and b) does it store samples or do I need something else to store them on?

Been out of the loop with new keyboards recently - if I liked the Triton but wanted to replace it with something that had better storage (SD card reader like the Roland FA range) and more user patches what would be a better model? Cheers!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-Ensoniq-ASR10-External-SCSI-Hard-disk-drive-Storage-/131690147745?hash=item1ea9582fa1:g:z0gAAOSwyQtVyq4O If you don't have a SCSI board/port installed, you'll need that too.
Steinberger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For floppy replacement/upgrade go find Gotek SFR1M44-U100K USB Floppy Drive Emulator. It will format a USB thumb stick or single flash card reader/writer with 1,000 1.44mb floppy segments. There are several YouTube videos on different applications/results. I use one on my RM1x. It should be about $30.00 USD.
Matty_Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floppy drive emulators are just as slow as floppies. SCSI is much faster.
hartlas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty_Boy wrote:
Floppy drive emulators are just as slow as floppies. SCSI is much faster.

Imagine you are talking to someone that has no idea what a SCSI is or does. Please please could you explain what it is, how you use it and what is the advantage and of course where you get one and how its fitted?

Thanks!!
xini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CF scsi Reply with quote

leDan wrote:

Did Artmix actually make you a converter to allow for the scsi connector to be an internal one?

He sent us a 25pin D-SUB to 50pin conversion cable, which I believe he made. Obliging bloke.
xini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartlas wrote:
Following this thread as I'm in the same position - wanting to use the sampling feature live more but getting pissed off with loading tons of floppies at each gig. I don't know much about the SCSI option - there are some on eBay for about £90 but then after buying it is it a) easy to fit and b) does it store samples or do I need something else to store them on?
Cheers!

The SCSI is very easy to fit. But it won't store samples. You'll still need another solution for storing and loading. The CF card reader was admittedly a faff but now it's done, it's done. It feels neat. I'm glad I don't have an external unit to attach every gig.

Now just to locate some good piano samples...
xini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartlas wrote:

Imagine you are talking to someone that has no idea what a SCSI is or does. Please please could you explain what it is, how you use it and what is the advantage and of course where you get one and how its fitted?

Thanks!!

SCSI function is outlined here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/korg-triton-exb-scsi-scsi-interface-board

It means you don't have to use floppy disks for storage, and it's SIGNIFICANTLY quicker to load data.
As for how to get one - ebay or general web scouring. You can only get them second hand.

To fit the unit, take off the shiny silver plate on the underside (being careful to cushion the topside of the instrument when you lay it upside down). Also remove the small back plate. It will only fit one way as you align the screw holes. Attach the ribbon connector to the socket nearby. Replace the cover on the underside. You should now have a socket in the back plate ready for your external media.

Please note I am in NO way a techie or an expert. I found out all this from reading old forums, and with a lot of help from a friend who also educated himself in the same way.
hartlas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. that makes sense I've found some SCSI boards on ebay. Once fitted I assume one would still need something to store the samples on? CD drive or something? Then this connects to the pins on the rear of the keyboard while saving and loading?

THanks in advance for your comments!

Stew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: