Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Korg now abandoned the electribe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why one box cannot have do all the tasks; es2 was partially there all they needed to do was add all the wave form and dsp chips from the grey unit.

also look at the beat thang feature wise it could do what I just stated; there is no reason to divided the features up among several different boxes other than to get the customer to buy multiple units.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbvdb493 wrote:
^ I am kidding a little but what amazes me is that people still expect to be able to to everything from just the electribe!
Personally I can't afford Elektron gear just yet but I appreciate the fact that the boxes are made to complement each other, not one is the be all end all.
And I think the same should be said about the electribes, using one with the mpc and iPad is amazing, on its own it's cool, esp cuz of the battery power, but together with other gear is where it's at!
I would rather have 2 boxes synced than a mc-909 for example

Completely agree with you jbvdb493.

While I am tired of all the whining; "they build my $400 dream electron" or "Korg failed to make the MPC of my dreams", to me it is very evident that Korg really didn't do a good job researching the Electribe cultures needs. Grant it, if everything that everyone is asking for is in the tribe, it would be a hell of a lot more than under $400. The ESX was $499 street when it first came out.

In my case ignorance is bliss. I don't know what I am missing...I have not had 8 plus years with an ESX or EMX. I had ES-1's and the new E2's are a huge step from there...LOL.

This box either should have had another $100 worth of memory and features and be priced accordingly or because these tribes now feature Kaossilator pads should have been branded as a hybrid of Kaossilator and Electribe technology and called these the Kaosstribes.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeg wrote:
No reason why one box cannot have do all the tasks; es2 was partially there all they needed to do was add all the wave form and dsp chips from the grey unit.

also look at the beat thang feature wise it could do what I just stated; there is no reason to divided the features up among several different boxes other than to get the customer to buy multiple units.

Yeah it is possible for everything in one box like a mc-909 or rs-700 but what I am saying is that that is not what I am looking for and I don't understand why that is what people want. I feel like having 2-3 boxes synced gets rid of any voice issues (and those aren't unique to the electribe btw) allows for fading in and out stuff from a mixer and seems like more fun in my mind. That's all I am saying!

Oh and back to the point of the thread, I strongly doubt there will be any earth shattering new OS updates in the electribes. What I do have high hopes for is the update to gadget! Man if they put in a real mixer and some effects in gadget that would be great, and if they add external sequencing I would simultaneously blow my load and my mind! Ok slight exaggeration but if the update is good I will get those new micro keys things to use with gadget!
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbvdb493 wrote:
.. voice issues (and those aren't unique to the electribe btw)

I disagree. These days, ample polyphony is easy to come by.

..and ample sample time, for that matter, and timestretching and multiple outputs and proper slicing and, and, and..
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
jbvdb493 wrote:
.. voice issues (and those aren't unique to the electribe btw)

I disagree. These days, ample polyphony is easy to come by.

..and ample sample time, for that matter, and timestretching and multiple outputs and proper slicing and, and, and..

And the price tag to match!
And I can't comment on the E2S I don't have it tho
_INTER_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Even older gear is somewhat more to nearly equally capable compared to the E2S. (Minus battery power, party LED and Ableton export).
You can get those for a reasonable prize today.
Jiggins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a new Electribe 2 and my conclusion is that the positives far outway the shortcomings in immediacy.

I have owned every single past electribe and I truly believe Korg have raised the game with the new machines. They sound superior to the previous ones and with some clever tweaking you can really make some pro sounding tracks from these boxes alone.

Yes there are some annoying implementation of tasks which are a breeze on the previous models but overall these boxes have gone up a level and they deserve more credit than they are getting. I still can't get my head around the way they decided to deal with the saving of samples on the Sampler, buts that's another story.

Here's a Housey track I just made on the E2 jamming on 1 pattern...cheers

Electribe 2 standard House pattern: http://youtu.be/NRJKEogzayc
captain johnson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggins wrote:
I just picked up a new Electribe 2 and my conclusion is that the positives far outway the shortcomings in immediacy.

I have owned every single past electribe and I truly believe Korg have raised the game with the new machines. They sound superior to the previous ones and with some clever tweaking you can really make some pro sounding tracks from these boxes alone.

Yes there are some annoying implementation of tasks which are a breeze on the previous models but overall these boxes have gone up a level and they deserve more credit than they are getting. I still can't get my head around the way they decided to deal with the saving of samples on the Sampler, buts that's another story.

Finally so positivity. I'm with you, midi via usb is a massive plus too allows me to create intricate arps an pads Smile I think the sound out the unit is super ace.

Will check out your track too! Keep up the good work.
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain johnson wrote:
Jiggins wrote:

Finally so positivity. I'm with you, midi via usb is a massive plus too allows me to create intricate arps an pads Smile I think the sound out the unit is super ace.

Will check out your track too! Keep up the good work.

good to hear an opion from someone who has used all the elctribes;
my only past experience is with the esx but the sound of these new boxes keeps me from selling.

I have also not even sampled with the es2 but I have found that the sound mangling and over all great sound has allowed be to keep creating ideas regardless.

both are very fun and simple and quick to work with.
Jiggins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeg wrote:
I have also not even sampled with the es2 but I have found that the sound mangling and over all great sound has allowed be to keep creating ideas regardless.

I loved the ESX but i hated its sound. I kept buying it and selling it but finally gave up with its sound. I want a box that I dont have to process externally to get it sounding good. I agree these new units sound superior.
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggins wrote:
jpeg wrote:

I loved the ESX but i hated its sound. I kept buying it and selling it but finally gave up with its sound. I want a box that I dont have to process externally to get it sounding good. I agree these new units sound superior.

I always thought the esx had a smooth warm sound; and obviously the tubes could add the drive distortion in a warm way.

I did not upgrade the tubes; and everyone said how bad the tubes were but as I did not do an a/b comparison to verify that was truly the case.

My main gripes with that maschine was the fixed mute groups which is pretty much still in place with the new version and the sample loading.

again this has not been addressed and may be even worse in the latest electribe.

but again the sound is cleaner and bigger; but can still get grimy, and the immediacy of use is still there.

I can see why people have grievances but it is what it is.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
I pre-ordered, spent some solid time with it as I was travelling and it was my only music device other than an ipad.

It was fun and interesting but the synth engines are lackluster, and the terrible pcm sounds started to annoy me. All that wasted space that could have had more useful sounds put in.

Finally the 4 bar limit ended the fun. I got bored of using it at half bpm and using delays to make the drums more interesting.

I don't see anything in the new update that's even remotely got me interested getting another.

I waited many years for a new electribe and had such high hopes for this but it ended up really like a dsp vst in a box, clean and anaemic in character, lacking synth programming depth. Sad

Excellent writing ! I suppose I share almost the same story.
.. still I’ll keep mine (E2). I also got used to the NC (Novation Circuit) in past few months... Some shortcomings on NC some on E2 what gives. I keep switching between them. The NC with editor is like having two mini novas. Both voices on NC have distortion and “stereo” chorus/flange so I can live without the pan. The key track helps the filters and overall sound. But on the flip site the 3 modulation knobs on E2 is stelar wish there were more. To set modulation on NC you need to tweak with the editor a powerful matrix (20 slots) too many steps to get the sound right ...
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggins wrote:

checked out your track ... Excellent! you seem to squeeze new dimension out of the PCM stuff on E2. I see you going similar direction with the Bose portable speaker. Me too I take one or two sets of NIMH batteries and jam in part sidewall etc I Gave up a big studio rigs long time back. I wish all devices were BT v4 without midi cables (wireless midi) and have 2-3 units combined to get the best I guess 3-4 years and we’d get there.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
I agree that the screen could have been better used; but what dont u like about the pads and workflow?

Workflow ? well check the Novation Circuit, That unit has an extremely intuitive sequencer and UX.
I agree that grooves on E2 are awesome but, the step edit on E2 tweaking length, velocity is just 19th century like.
R4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm pretty new to hardware , save for my DS which I don't count. But for the past few days I've been trying to grasp the Electribe culture and legacy because I'm looking to get into my first groovebox/ sampler and sequence some analogs once I save up more money.

I have to say it's been a wild ride trying to grasp a sum of peoles opinions and trying to seperate fact from fiction/subjective from objective before buying. Despite all this I'm still compelled to get one and really explore my limits and the tribes . I'm just hoping KORG realizes the potential of these things with firmware , if they aren't going to make an ES3. I know the Volcas are successful and they could probably bring over that portable market if they showed off its new power now that the community have more knowledge of how to use them.

I've seen enough to know what it is and what it isn't. Even asked Pullen about if he'd release tutorials very recently (via Twitter , goigt to follow up via email) but got no answer back. Yet despite what support we get from KORG of its contributors I'm kind of eager to test myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: