Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Berlin Style' music creation ~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david_nimrod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: 'Berlin Style' music creation ~ Reply with quote

First Post: apologies if this is in the wrong Section, or just plain tedious...

Anyway, being of 'a certain age' (53), I grew up on TD, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Hoenig etc. etc.

Turns out I now want to do a bit of German style sequencing and synthesis myself!

First off, I'm very inexperienced with synths, being a Bass player primarily.

Years ago I used an EMS VCS3, but that was another time, another place...

OK, my question:

Please suggest some current (Korg) Analogue gear that would be suitable for making 'Stratosfear', 'Phaedra' and 'Rubycon' era music.

Btw, I'm not rich, so I can't afford a full Doepfer modular setup Wink

I thought this https://youtu.be/-Eh0jgJE6Rc was inspiring... what does the Forum reckon..?

Anyway, if you've read this far... Thank You!

David (in Nottingham, UK).
david_nimrod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any thoughts, advice, whatever..?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I ask what gear you currently have? Even guitars, effects pedals, recording equipment?
david_nimrod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Could I ask what gear you currently have?

Currently just my Ashdown ABM bass rig, and a mid '70's Fender Precision.

In the past I've used (but not owned) an EMS Synthi A, and a VCS3.

More recently I've had various Korg MS2000 synths, but have sold them a while ago.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current analogue gear is naturally going to be more expensive than older bits of kit, so have you considered second hand non-current stuff? The MS2000 would be a useful piece of hardware to have kept. You specify analogue, but it might be worth considering other options, simply because they are so versatile, and more bang for your buck. The Korg M50, for example, is a fun and highly adaptable keyboard, as is the Korg Krome, and would be a useful adjunct to your existing setup even when not wanting to play TD-inspired stuff.

Here's an example of an M50 being used for TD-esque sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRztA2OC5tA

It has some pretty impressive effects routing options, splits, arpeggiation (key to most TD music), and can also be used as a MIDI keyboard to drive software synths on a Mac or PC, whilst making its own sound, or even other hardware synths, all of which can be mixed together. Such combinations can lead to some pretty impressive soundscapes. Combis, (or combination sounds) on the M50 and Kronos can contain up to 16 different timbres, which can be layered, split, velocity triggered, and each can have different effects. If it's possible to stretch finances to a Kronos, better still. The Triton Extreme, with Radias expansion, or the M3 with same, are also impressive. The Radias rack is also good for this kind of thing. Then there are the Novation Ultranova, Nord Lead 3... oh and the Microkorg XL.

It might also might be worth checking out Vanderson on YouTube.
david_nimrod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...

I have checked out 'Vanderson', he's done some very interesting stuff!

Will have a serious think on what I'm trying to achieve, and how, and the skills I'll need to aquire...

I think I'm coming at this in a deliberately 'nostalgic' way, which, if I follow it through, could be very expensive, and really just an 'end in itself'.

By that, I mean an all analogue modular system, and sequencers.

I know someone with a medium modular set-up, and will try and spend some time with that.

David ~
DjMyMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to listen my AAC project https://aac-electronics.bandcamp.com/releases

berlin style music! Smile
TeemuDV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend any substractive analog synths, in berlin school music the important part is the sequencer. You need at least two monosynths to put up a berlin school sequence. So idea is to make polyrythmic loops that overlap. You can also use one analog style( step) sequencer and arpeggiator.

And the echo! Get any analog delay (forget digital, for this type of music you want the noisy one!). I myself am using monotron delay and old aria analog delay rack.

Less is more. Even with 2x8 step sequencer you can make good berlin school track if you have the "connection". Make the sequences communicate. For more complex you can add a lead or some weirdness..(maybe one synth making leads or overdubbing afterwards)

Monotribe is strong recommendation. As a synth collector its something I always get back to when in need of raw power. Also korg emx is a good berlin sequencing powerhorse if you want hands on immediate hypnosis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: