Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switches and sliders in split control between midi/Karma ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Switches and sliders in split control between midi/Karma ? Reply with quote

Hello all dedicated Karma users out there!

This may well be a question for Stephen Kaye but I thought I'd put it out there!....

I have assigned all 4 Karma modules (A-D, A-D) consecutively to the 8 switches on the Kronos control panel whereby the first four switch in "Thru inside zone" and switches 5-8 are assigned to "Thru outside zone" For those of you not familiar with this trick it is a way of splitting all the used timbres in a "combie" or "song" into 8 effectively separately controllable bunch of sounds. I have started using this mode more often as an when the arrangement of my songs allow instead of continually punching through combies in the setlist.
It's other advantage is that one can run 999 bars of a drum track or anything else one wishes to play to!

This use of Karma is great but I am now wanting to assign slider 8 to a timbre volume on one of the timbres within one of the Module zones. Because I need the panel switches assigned to "KT Knobs & sliders" to switch Modules for each zone at various times during the song I can not access the sliders to simply raise the volume of some strings as I would need to switch the panel to Timbre/Track just to do this which is too conveluted a task to accomplish while physically playing the keys and concentrating on singing to the audience! Is there any way of using the sliders to control timbre volume at the same time as using the switches to control the Karma Module selection? In other words how is it possible to have the sliders set to control timbre volumes at the same time that the switches are set to control karma zones?

It appears there is no timbre volume destination in the Karma performance set up so that one could keep the panel assigned to "Karma knobs & sliders" and do both jobs.....?

Always be true to yourself
chini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: must be somebody who can shed some light on this!.....? Reply with quote

...must be somebody who can shed some light on this!.....?

Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First my disclaimer ... I have no idea if this will accomplish what you want.

There is a GE Real Time Parameter called Velocity Scale. Since velocity can affect volume this might do something for you. But as far as I know it will only affect the velocity of Karma generated notes. Check out Velocity Group in the Karma GE Guide section of the Parameter Guide.

But I have my doubts since it sounds like you just want a simple mixer function and I don't believe there is any way to do that without switching panel modes.
chini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Solution found! Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion! Yes! I saw this in the GE too! However I have found a solution!...

As the strings I wish to fade in are generated within one timbre I could use an expression pedal assigned to that timbres volume making sure "all other controllers" is assigned just to that timbre. However that would mean adding another expression pedal to my rig that although may be useful for other things would clutter the already busy area round my feet!

The other way which I am now adopting for this particular song is to use the value slider but before beginning the song I must step out of Setlist mode into Sequencer to reveal the Song window so I can touch the fader of the strings timbre sliding it down to zero. In this way I can use the value slider as a volume control for my strings while the panel is still set to Karma knobs & sliders. If I had access to another Karma module I would of course assign these strings to another Karma scene but all 4 modules are already being used and unfortunately none of their outside thru zones fall where I am playing the strings! So this seems to be the best solution!

While on the subject of Karma modules I wonder if anyone has ever tried to use the Karma software to gain access to 6 simultaneous modules?... I have the software but have not been able to find any info on how this can be done and wether it is practically possible to do live...? (Perhaps another question for Stephen Kaye!(

chini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Solution found! Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion! Yes! I saw this in the GE too! However I have found a solution!...

As the strings I wish to fade in are generated within one timbre I could use an expression pedal assigned to that timbres volume making sure "all other controllers" is assigned just to that timbre. However that would mean adding another expression pedal to my rig that although may be useful for other things would clutter the already busy area round my feet!

The other way which I am now adopting for this particular song is to use the value slider but before beginning the song I must step out of Setlist mode into Sequencer to reveal the Song window so I can touch the fader of the strings timbre sliding it down to zero. In this way I can use the value slider as a volume control for my strings while the panel is still set to Karma knobs & sliders. If I had access to another Karma module I would of course assign these strings to another Karma scene but all 4 modules are already being used and unfortunately none of their outside thru zones fall where I am playing the strings! So this seems to be the best solution!

While on the subject of Karma modules I wonder if anyone has ever tried to use the Karma software to gain access to 6 simultaneous modules?... I have the software but have not been able to find any info on how this can be achieved and wether it is practically possible to do live...? (Perhaps another question for Stephen Kaye!)

Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The onboard Karma is limited to 4 modules. But using the Karma software running 6 Karma modules is easy. You just connect your computer and run Karma from the software. The onboard Karma is then disabled. The only catch is that you must keep the computer connected which many don't like for live performances.

But for even more fun you can get 10 Karma modules running if you use both the software and the onboard Karma.

Quote:
You go to the Performance Editor > Korg tab, and uncheck the "Disable MIDI Input on Korg M3" checkbox. This allows the KARMA in the keyboard to work at the same time as the KARMA in the software. This is saved individually in each Performance.

Quote from Stephen Kay at karma-lab ....
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15387
chini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: 10 module Karma live! Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
..... The onboard Karma is then disabled. The only catch is that you must keep the computer connected which many don't like for live performances.

But for even more fun you can get 10 Karma modules running if you use both the software and the onboard Karma.

Wow!...I took a double take at your reply!... so what you are saying is that one can keep the on board 4 Karma modules running and actually add 6 more with the software!... obviously just running 6 all from the software would be be a moot scenario not to mention a bore loosing my hard worked programmed ones on board, when one could run 10! I would love to take advantage of the 10 karma module possibility but how exactly does this happen?.. What I mean is can I assign the added zones as I play them on the keyboard?.. I am guessing here: but does this mean one effectively has 2 "layers" of Karma module "sets" able to be played from the Kronos itself?... this would be groundbreaking for me!... ....

Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 module Karma live! Reply with quote

chini wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:
..... The onboard Karma is then disabled. The only catch is that you must keep the computer connected which many don't like for live performances.

Wow!...I took a double take at your reply!... so what you are saying is that one can keep the on board 4 Karma modules running and actually add 6 more with the software!... obviously just running 6 all from the software would be be a moot scenario not to mention a bore loosing my hard worked programmed ones on board, when one could run 10! I would love to take advantage of the 10 karma module possibility but how exactly does this happen?.. What I mean is can I assign the added zones as I play them on the keyboard?.. I am guessing here: but does this mean one effectively has 2 "layers" of Karma module "sets" able to be played from the Kronos itself?... this would be groundbreaking for me!... ....

Yep, it can all be controlled from the KB ... its takes some work to get something useful going with that many modules. Its been a long time since I tried that but it does work. You get 10 full Karma modules all running together.

Karma routing is pretty amazing. One day I want to try a grand experiment with all that I have. Dual M3's, Kronos, Karma M3 software, Karma Kronos software. If I have the math right that would be 24 Karma modules.

Although that would just be more of a proof of concept experiment. I have my doubts on that being truly useful. But it's fun to experiment.
chini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 module Karma live! Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:

Yep, it can all be controlled from the KB ...

Well once I have sorted out another anomaly I've just come across and posted about just now! I'll definitely be trying this out!

Thanks for the tip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: