Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compare Pa-900 to Pa-4x?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Compare Pa-900 to Pa-4x? Reply with quote

I have all the .pdf's and I am investigating mightily -- with considerable effort to make distinctions between these two models. I've re-reviewed the YouTube sound comparisons between the 900 and the Pa-3x and the Pa-3x was better (using headphones) in almost ALL sounds. There is one YT vid that compares the 3x and the 4x, but is awaiting English subtitles. Can anyone provide any additional insights as to some differences?

My list so far:
- Pa-4x: 10x longer samples for the newly Improved Sounds compared to Pa-3x (or is it the Samples?)
- The 4x has the sliders, better for performance
- 4x has roughly double the sample memory plus the SSD drive
- Top-panel Controls are VERY similar
- the 900 has no 76-key model; not counting the Pa-3xLE
- the 4x has more Insert & Master effects per sound
- The voice processor on the 4x appears to have 4-part harmony, 900 - 3
- no PaAs for the 900; but 900 has internal speakers
- 700 more sounds for the 4x; and 100 more Styles for 4x
- 4x has MIDI song to Style converter
- 4x allows the EC-5 External Controller
- 4x is a few years newer, so internally there are likely improvements
- 4x HAS Maxx Suite; not on Pa-900!! (This is an update to my list)
- 4x Has better quality of materials used (From Fransman)
- BOTH models have "DNC"; while Kronos does not!
- 4x has Capacitive Touchscreen; 900 has resistive -- Capacitive is quicker & easier.
- Keybed action is reportedly better on 3x (4x) than on 900 (by: "al urezzio")

Is my list appropriate? You guys know far more about these units than I do, but really, is the 4x worth twice the price of the 900, and if so, how do YOU justify it? Can you supply your reasons why you would go with the 4x over the 900? Does Korg have any documents that would compare these two?

Last edited by tkarlmann on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:42 pm; edited 10 times in total
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list seems quite OK I guess.
You can add "quality of the materials used" to your list, because PA4X is better built than PA900.
I'm not too sure about the new touch-screen though, but it should be OK for an instrument in this price range.
Don't get me wrong: PA900 is not bad at all, in fact it's awesome value for money, but PA4X is in another league, and that comes with a price.

I had a look at the PA900 when I had the PA800, and that was not a step up for me back then.
I made the decision to go to PA3X and never had any regret about that decision.
It's really great; PA4X is of course newer and even better than PA3X, especially when it comes to quality of sound samples.

Play in style. Wink
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Compare Pa-900 to Pa-4x? Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
I have all the .pdf's and I am investigating mightily -- with considerable effort to make distinctions between these two models. I've re-reviewed the YouTube sound comparisons between the 900 and the 3x and the 3x was better (using headphones) in almost ALL sounds. There is one YT vid that compares the 3x and the 4x, but is awaiting English subtitles. Can anyone provide any additional insights as to some differences?

My list so far:
- Pa-4x: 10x longer samples for the newly Improved Sounds compared to 3x (or is it the Samples?)
- The 4x has the sliders, better for performance
- 4x has roughly double the sample memory plus the SSD drive
- Top-panel Controls are VERY similar
- the 900 has no 76-key model
- the 4x has more insert & Master effects per sound
- The voice processor on the 4x appears to have 4-part harmony, 900 - 3
- no PaAs for the 900; but 900 has internal speakers
- 700 more sounds for the 4x; and 100 more Styles for 4x
- 4x has MIDI song to Style converter
- 4x allows the EC-5 External Controller
- 4x is a few years newer, so internally there are likely improvements
- 4x HAS Maxx Suite; not on Pa-900!! (This is an update to my list)

Is my list appropriate? You guys know far more about these units than I do, but really, is the 4x worth twice the price of the 900, and if so, how do YOU justify it? Can you supply your reasons why you would go with the 4x over the 900? Does Korg have any documents that would compare these two?

The 76 key version of the pa900 is called the PA3xLE, atleast they are pretty close.
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own an arranger yet but I'm investigating to get one as a new approach to create songs as opposed to daws+plugins king of thing.

Like you I read/listened to all I could find about arrangers. I ended up with the conclusion it will be a Korg. Now, which one of the actual line-up 600/900/3x/4x? In terms of sounds here's my conclusion:

Good/Better/Better/Really better

To me better sounds is more the more imporant criteria and the PA4 is, as expected the better and I wolud say really better.

If I had the budget for sure I would jump on a 4x no doubts about that. If I already had a 3x, I would be temped but I would find the 4x way too pricey for the difference. If I had anything under a 3x, I would get the 4x without any hesitations.

The thing is I don't have the budget for a 4x. Two options then: Wait for the used market price drop and get a used 3x, get a used 900 or even a 600 and enjoy right now an arranger or wait two years for the 4x to be reasonably priced and affordable. Or wait two years and get a used 4x.

Sound, sound, sound....That's the first criteria, second is the budget.

I stopped to listen to this serie of 6videos because I don't have the budget right now but if I would...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vocWSlaDcaE
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Fransman! Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
PA900 is not bad at all, in fact it's awesome value for money, but PA4X is in another league, and that comes with a price.
I had a look at the PA900 when I had the PA800, and that was not a step up for me back then.
It's really great; PA4X is of course newer and even better than PA3X, especially when it comes to quality of sound samples.

This type of analysis, your thoughts, help me a lot, thanks.

Also: How well do you like the PaAS? How large a venue does it work well for?

Last edited by tkarlmann on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: I"m like you, stratquebec Reply with quote

stratquebec: For me, as well, I need to save for quite a bit to acquire a 4x; half that for a 900. In the end, however, I think I would be missing the difference.
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I"m like you, stratquebec Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
stratquebec: For me, as well, I need to save for quite a bit to acquire a 4x; half that for a 900. In the end, however, I think I would be missing the difference.

I thought the same at first but the more I think of it the more I think how bad I would feel having in the end paid way too much for not such a big difference of quality. For sure the 4x sounds absolutly fine - at least on the web - but wow, what an expensive device this is. If I would be gigging regurlary as a paid one man band and get some revenue from, then I could justify it's acquisition but I'm not. Music is important in my life but other things are too.

I'll stick to my decision. Get a more affordable arranger now, get familiar with the use of it -an arranger is an instrument that needs to be mastered, there's a learning curve to go through - and wait for a better priced 4x.

Money is so hard to earn, take your time! In the end, the real joy is in the waiting!
Cool
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, Fransman! Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
Fransman wrote:
PA900 is not bad at all, in fact it's awesome value for money, but PA4X is in another league, and that comes with a price.

This type of analysis, your thoughts, help me a lot, thanks.

Also: How well do you like the PaAS? How large a venue does it work well for?

You're welcome.
I do like the PAas, but I have it for home use only, so I don't know how what it's capable of in gigging.
It't quite expensive, so maybe for the same or a lower amount of money you can get better speakers.
On the other hand, I like how it's attached to the keyboard, it's very compact, good looking and - yes - it does have a very good sound.
That's also because of the position of the speaker: your face is in the middle of the sound. So for home use, it's perfect.

Play in style. Wink
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I"m like you, stratquebec Reply with quote

stratquebec wrote:
tkarlmann wrote:

I thought the same at first but the more I think of it the more I think how bad I would feel having in the end paid way too much for not such a big difference of quality. For sure the 4x sounds absolutly fine - at least on the web - but wow, what an expensive device this is. If I would be gigging regurlary as a paid one man band and get some revenue from, then I could justify it's acquisition but I'm not. Music is important in my life but other things are too.

I'll stick to my decision. Get a more affordable arranger now, get familiar with the use of it -an arranger is an instrument that needs to be mastered, there's a learning curve to go through - and wait for a better priced 4x.

Money is so hard to earn, take your time! In the end, the real joy is in the waiting!
Cool

My advice is: DON'T play a PA4X or PA3X before you buy a PA900.
And then enjoy your new PA900, which is a great instrument!

Play in style. Wink
stratquebec

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I"m like you, stratquebec Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
My advice is: DON'T play a PA4X or PA3X before you buy a PA900. And then enjoy your new PA900, which is a great instrument!

Exactly! And I'll follow the same advice and won't try the PA5x before upgrading to a used PA4x in 4 or 5 years from now, if my budget is still too tight at that time Cool
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others I have been looking at buying an arranger, I have looked a the current crop of instruments from Roland, Yamaha, Ketron and Korg.

I am looking on the context of having a instrument that sounds ( Live ) by that I mean real and that has the right facilities for live work. out of this crop it has come down to the Pa4x 76. The Ketron sounds too twee for my kind of work and the Tyros while the Acoustic Instruments are slightly in front of the Pa4xs the arrangements sound too big, the big arrangements to my ears over a few hours listening seem fatiguing. The Roland arrangers look and feel plastic and the sound is too home organ ground to my ears.

The Pa4x seems the most rounded instrument especially in the Rhythm Section where the Drums sound great along with the basses and at the heart of any musical arrangement those are two sections in a band that need to sit right, I work with a guitar player so its essential I can scale down the styles as I am looking in that situation to accommodate the guitar player and I can see the Pa4x not only allowing that but also to provide a tight high quality sound that gels with other instruments. The TC Harmoniser also allows backing vocals to be easily worked in with a lead singer or for solo work, it really is a all rounder.
The Piano is not obviously of the Kronos quality but highly workable and musical along with the Rhodes Pianos, the organ is workable but shame Korg have omitted access to the Vib/Chorus settings like C1. C2 C3, depth and Speed, this should come in a later update to complete the organ section.

The Pa4x is not cheap as has been already mentioned but this is a niche market and this is a pro instrument that more than holds its own with Tyros which I feel is its main contender. The Pa4x is also not just an arranger its also a keyboard that you could easily use in a full band setting for all the routine keyboard player duties that get thrown at you, sure its not a Kronos and for the price of the Pa4x your in the Kronos price ballpark which has made my choice harder.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Hmm, no Pa-4x? Why? Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
tkarlmann wrote:
For me, I need to save for a bit to acquire a 4x; half that for a 900. In the end, however, I think I would be missing the difference.

My advice is: DON'T play a PA4X or PA3X before you buy a PA900.
And then enjoy your new PA900, which is a great instrument!

Fransman: Can you elaborate?
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sure.

If you DO play a PA3X or PA4X before playing PA900,
you'll probably want to buy a PA3X or PA4X.

The difference in overall quality is huge, which should not surprise looking at the prices.

So if you want to stick to your budget, don't 'torture' yourself, that's my remark (meant as a twist) Laughing .

For the price, which is also not that low, PA900 is a fabulous instrument with a very, VERY good value for money.
You can't go wrong with either one of them I guess.

Play in style. Wink
stratquebec

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
If you DO play a PA3X or PA4X before playing PA900,
you'll probably want to buy a PA3X or PA4X.

Exactly. And that's normal. Exactly why I stopped to read/listen about anything over a 900. I simply don't have the money, right now so two choices: Save an wait or go for a 900 or even a 600 soon.

I choosed the second option and I feel good Cool
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to ask yourself is what can you honestly afford as your maximum budget .

Then ask yourself what qualities are you looking for from your arranger keyboard that you must have or are essential for the way you make music ?

Then ask yourself what are you going to be doing with the instrument musically that you could not do just as easily on the PA900 . Ignor the features between the PA4x,3X and just focus on the features you actually need.

that process has helped me hold onto my money and continue to squeeze musical juice out of my now anciant PA1X !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: