Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phrase (sorry, SLICE-editor) editing questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aubrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Phrase (sorry, SLICE-editor) editing questions... Reply with quote

Is there a way to manually manipulate the Phrase (Sorry, slice) of a sample? I am only starting to understand the way this unit is working, but it would be great if I could add/edit/define my own Phrases (sorry, slices)...

here's hoping!
Aubrey
Korg Electribe Sampler
Yamaha UX256
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
Novation LaunchControl
Novation LaunchPad
Lenovo i7/16GB/47TB
Ableton Live 9.5

Last edited by aubrey on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrase or phase?
Z7A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean with Phrase?
aubrey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was still thinking in 'other'-mode Wink

What I would like to know is if there is a way you can define your own slices? If you could do that, the ability to put an entire drum-kit of your liking in one sample, but then define the "regions" of the slices before-hand to ensure the kit gets triggered 100% at the right spot...

Actually, I think I answered my own question...

The theory: By adding a sample with 16 absolute 100% marked sounds and slicing it so, you can create a drumkit without having to use a sample per channel.

Please correct me if I am right. Question still stands. Is there a way to edit these slices externally from the ES2?

kind regards
Aubrey
Korg Electribe Sampler
Yamaha UX256
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
Novation LaunchControl
Novation LaunchPad
Lenovo i7/16GB/47TB
Ableton Live 9.5
Z7A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try Motion Recording the start and end-points of the sample while you are inside Step Jump mode?

electribe2 Step Jump mode Motion Recording

But I think it would be more practical to put your drum-kit in another sampler, and control it over MIDI with notes sent from the electribe. Such as the Akai MPX16 you get 16 samples at once on channel 1, or on the Roland SP-404SX one can chose among 60 samples on one channel and another 60 samples on another channel.
aubrey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z7A wrote:
Maybe you could try Motion Recording the start and end-points of the sample while you are inside Step Jump mode?

But I think it would be more practical to put your drum-kit in another sampler, and control it over MIDI with notes sent from the electribe. Such as the Akai MPX16 you get 16 samples at once on channel 1, or on the Roland SP-404SX one can chose among 60 samples on one channel and another 60 samples on another channel.

Sorry, but this has actually nothing to do with my original question. I am not looking for alternative outboard gear, I am looking at a working all-in-one solution to a very simple question, namely: "How can you efficiently use multi-samples on one channel..." That is why I am looking at slicing a single wave (with multi-samples) into a 16-sliced sample to accommodate more than one sound per midi channel. AND of-course looking specifically at some kind of editor to achieve this end.

Simple enough?

kind regards
Aubrey
Korg Electribe Sampler
Yamaha UX256
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
Novation LaunchControl
Novation LaunchPad
Lenovo i7/16GB/47TB
Ableton Live 9.5
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot motion sequence which hit/slice from a timesliced sample is assigned to a part. You can motion sequence the start point at which the sample plays, so if you have 4 drum sounds evenly spaced in a sample, the first sound would trigger at start=0, the second at start=25 (24 in reality!!), the third at start=50 etc. Your sample of hits doesn't have to be timesliced for this to work. Motion sequencing each hit into a drum groove would be darn tedious though...

What would be really cool is if each slice could be mapped to a MIDI note...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aubrey wrote:
Z7A wrote:

Sorry, but this has actually nothing to do with my original question. I am not looking for alternative outboard gear, I am looking at a working all-in-one solution to a very simple question, namely: "How can you efficiently use multi-samples on one channel..." That is why I am looking at slicing a single wave (with multi-samples) into a 16-sliced sample to accommodate more than one sound per midi channel. AND of-course looking specifically at some kind of editor to achieve this end.

Simple enough?

kind regards
Aubrey

You could build something with pure data very easily that could give you control over this hypothetical situation, maybe taking in notes from a controller or DAW and then sending out a cc that is changing the start time of the sample to access a different slice of the sound, but it would not be possible to play more than one slice/sound simultaneously (due to the sound/slice selection being controlled by the start time of the sample, you can't have 2 start times on the same sample simultaneously on one track)
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,
I use drum chains on the octatrack all the time.

One problem when using them on the electribe is that there is always wasted space in your sample between the drum hits of varying lengths. (not a problem on the octatrack, streams direct from cf)

The electribe has limited memory, and so many sample slots, that I don't really bother with drum sample chains on this machine.

plus, I didn't like the way they sounded after being sliced.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
What would be really cool is if each slice could be mapped to a MIDI note...

https://puredata.info/
Z7A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Features still needed AFTER 1.10 update Smile
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this will help you, but you can, while setting slice points, hold shift to enter/delete your own slices. Then you can assign specific slices to different pads in a blank pattern, record your performance and resample. Tedious, I know, but workable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: