Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg D1600 in 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monopoli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Korg D1600 in 2015 Reply with quote

Hi there,

After years I decided to dust off my Korg D1600 to see if I could still find a use for it. I still like it but I was hoping to find an easy way to get the recorded tracks into my computer. This one doesn't have USB (it's the original version, not MkII) and my laptop doesn't have a diskdrive and I don't want to be stuck with CD's anyway. I searched for some kind of SCSI-to-USB-convertor but they don't seem to exist. Maybe I should install a new hard drive? But which ones would work?

Does anyone have any tips on how to get this thing up-to-date for 2015?

Thanks for any help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly save the material onto a USB connected hard drive. 2.5" Hard drives powered by USB power alone of up to 1 Terabytes are available, and small enough to fit in a pocket. 1TB is a lot of room on which to store any kind of media.
monopoli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the awnser.

But like I wrote "This one doesn't have USB (it's the original version, not MkII)"; There is a SCSI-connection (HD SCSI-2 50pin) on the D1600 to connect external drives. My question is how to get from there to USB.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion was in response to "my laptop doesn't have a disk drive".

There seem to be several options.

Play the recorded songs and record to a computer via audio cables to a suitable sound card.

Or do the above using S/PDIF.

The D1600 has an internal hard drive. Could this not be removed and connected to a computer or USB to IDE adapter and the files copied across that way, or are they in stored in a proprietary format?

If it's not already installed, there is space to install a CD-writer, allowing the recorded songs to be transferred that way.

There are USB to SCSI converters available, though I have no experience of these.

monopoli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There are USB to SCSI converters available, though I have no experience of these.

Where? That was actually the meat of my question. I looked for one and couldn't find any.

The D1600 indeed has an internal harddrive but the only connection out is the SCSI-connection and yes, audio and spdif. But I want to be able to move the recorded wav-files back and forth to my laptop in a convenient way; not having to record them one by one as audio, and not having to use the CD-writer.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121816773074
monopoli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found those too, but they are very expensive and I'm not even sure they would work well. They are not supported anymore. Also I'm on Windows 10 and these work supposedly up to Windows XP.

I would mostly be interested in some experiences of people still using the D1600 in todays world. The SCSI-connector is obsolete now and soon the CD will be as well. But to me it would be a shame to just throw this machine away. It should be possible to upgrade it somehow. Put in a new harddrive with USB connection? Does anyone use this Adaptec USB-to-SCSI adapter succesfully with a modern computer?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win10 WinXP dual boot?
monopoli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be an option, but it would be yet another workaround.

I would really like to know for sure if a solution will work, preferably from someone who uses the Korg D1600 today with a recent laptop, before spending more than 100 euros on some secondhand cable from E-bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: